Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Oem Bose for better oem bose speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 10:24 PM
Mkhlmnn

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Oem Bose for better oem bose speakers?

Dose anyone know if say m56, Qx56, GTR, Q, etc bose systems would be able to fit the oem locations on a V36 Bose sedan?

My speakers are starting to get a bit of crackle but I dont want to lose the base of putting a 6 1/2 in the doors and havent found much helping for putting 6x9s but I did findd some slightly used Bose GTR door, tweeters, and dash speaker and I can get them for about $150.

I would hope the newer and more expensive models came with atleast upgraded bose components.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:56 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
You have to watch impedance level. Not all bose systems run on the same levels even from the same company. Can range from 0.5 ohm to 8 ohm
Old 07-10-2016, 08:02 PM
Mkhlmnn

From from what I've seen ours are 2 ohms correct?
Old 07-11-2016, 04:48 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Don't waste your time on this.

Either keep the OEM setup/size or upgrade to something better.

Muddy bass is all I remember with the Bose set up
Old 07-12-2016, 08:11 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
Don't waste your time on this.

Either keep the OEM setup/size or upgrade to something better.

Muddy bass is all I remember with the Bose set up

its the Bose amp EQ - the speakers sound good when you can fix the EQ.

i was going to tear everything out, but now i'm satisfied enough to not bother.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:23 PM
Mkhlmnn

Well the main thing is I believe the front speakers are going bad because they are crackling under louder music and I even adjusted the settings to have the rear provide a bit more of the sound to reduce it unless the bose amp eq is that bad to cause that? The main thing im going for is no crackle and wouldnt mind a bit better sound but how hard is it to swap 6x9s or add a different amp to power the speakers?
Old 07-13-2016, 06:34 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Another thing you need to watch is if the amp is going bad it will distort at higher volumes so it could be either the speaker or the amp. If you pull that speaker out you can check impedance but I am more concerned that it is the amp if at normal volumes there is no distortion or crackles
Old 07-13-2016, 07:42 PM
Mkhlmnn

Yeah depending on where I got the song or video, its usually normal under talking volume its once you get above half the more the distortion comes up
Old 07-13-2016, 11:59 PM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
its the Bose amp EQ - the speakers sound good when you can fix the EQ.

i was going to tear everything out, but now i'm satisfied enough to not bother.
At best, the Bose OEM drivers are fair to poor, no dynamic range, distortion when driven hard and absolutely no resiliency. If you can deal with the lack of fidelity and don't push them, the'll last years, but the moment you begin to crank them with an aftermarket amp, just figure on replacing them in a year or so
Old 07-15-2016, 08:33 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Absinthe
At best, the Bose OEM drivers are fair to poor, no dynamic range, distortion when driven hard and absolutely no resiliency. If you can deal with the lack of fidelity and don't push them, the'll last years, but the moment you begin to crank them with an aftermarket amp, just figure on replacing them in a year or so
i just added a powered sub, left stock amp.

was amazed at how good it sounded with Viper4Android app fixing the Bose EQ.

currently using an old iPhone 5c i bought on eBay with "Car Vitalizer" app. "Astound Sound" app had better music quality, but playlists and song info was wonky.

i will probably go back to using Viper4Android when i get a new Android phone and can use my current one in the car. the one i was using before was an ancient smartphone, and the battery would die if i didn't drive the car for a few days. the iPhone battery lasts longer, but i'm still trying to find an IOS music player app that sounds better but isn't glitchy ...
Old 07-17-2016, 03:11 PM
Mkhlmnn

Landshark can you tell me more about the app Viper4Android? I have an Iphone 4S that I run seperately for my Dash Command and music or ill use my Galaxy S6 sometimes too. The Iphone has much higher quality I noticed too, my android is very quiet for some reason and its not amazing but I've had worse.

The only thing is I get the speaker distortion with any media wether its radio, cd, or aux. Just in the higher end volume near the tweeters and a bit from the front door subs, not every song but some are much more noticeable than others.

Still havent seen much of a consensus wether replacing the speakers or the amp is a better solution. I like my trunk space and the bass isnt horrible enough to consider adding a sub in the trunk.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:53 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

[APP] Official ViPER4Android Audio Effects (… | Android Development and Hacking

you need a rooted Android device.

if you can't root your phone, you could always buy a cheap older rooted Android phone to just leave in the car.

i used a Motorola Droid Bionic from 2011. still the best-sounding option i've tried.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:22 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
i just added a powered sub, left stock amp.

was amazed at how good it sounded with Viper4Android app fixing the Bose EQ.

currently using an old iPhone 5c i bought on eBay with "Car Vitalizer" app. "Astound Sound" app had better music quality, but playlists and song info was wonky.

i will probably go back to using Viper4Android when i get a new Android phone and can use my current one in the car. the one i was using before was an ancient smartphone, and the battery would die if i didn't drive the car for a few days. the iPhone battery lasts longer, but i'm still trying to find an IOS music player app that sounds better but isn't glitchy ...
Hi Landshark,
If this method works for you, fantastic, its cheaper and much easier to implement that a full gut and rebuild. Unfortunately, I tried that route and ultimately was not happy with the result.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:01 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Absinthe
Hi Landshark,
If this method works for you, fantastic, its cheaper and much easier to implement that a full gut and rebuild. Unfortunately, I tried that route and ultimately was not happy with the result.
what setup did you use?

i used V4A app (with 320k bitrate MP3's), powered sub in sealed enclosure (i like the bass tight and accurate, not boomy), stock Bose speakers, headunit bass and treble adjusted to taste (near the middle for both, if i remember right).

depends on what style of music you listen to also, i guess. maybe not the best for rap/electronic? i listen to thrash/metal/rock and some classical and blues. i like a tight heavy hit from a bass drum, and crisp but not shrill treble.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:12 PM
Mkhlmnn

So doing a bit more research on subs for the door speakers, does anyone know the mounting depth of our Bose 10" door speakers? Since we have 10" 2-Ohm speakers in our doors the only way to replace it with another sub would be to find a shallow mount free air subwoofer that is made to not be in an enclosure as explained in this Best Free Air Subwoofers ? Gain Bass Without Losing Space | StereoChamp

this sub seems to be about perfect but I am not sure how to mount it as I can only find it in 8" with 2ohm and its under 3" of mounting depth. Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 Shallow-mount 8" subwoofer with dual 2-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com

This may be another option if it fitsInfinity REF1000S Reference Series 10" shallow-mount component subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

Quick Reply: Oem Bose for better oem bose speakers?