Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Bose Speaker Sizes and Impedance

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 11:12 PM
BassAddictJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bose Speaker Sizes and Impedance

Picked up a 2009 g37 coupe with the bose stereo. I need a breakdown of the speaker sizes, locations, and resistances (ohms). Also, which of these speakers have enclosures (like door woofers set into a small ported enclosure to best suite the speaker?)

Thanks guys. I'm glad to be a part of this community now!!!!
Old 06-30-2015, 06:35 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
Before everyone starts flaming you and telling you to use the search, I'll get you started.

My understanding is that there are 10 speakers within the cabin of the sedan (pic below is from a coupe I believe, which may be different):

The main sound/imaging is provided by the speakers in the front doors: 3" neodymium-magnet tweeter/midrange units, 1" soft-dome tweeters, and 10" neodymium-magnet woofers.

In the rear doors there are 6.5" full-range "fill" speakers

The parcel shelf then provides a 10" self-powered woofer (I think there are two actual amps in the trunk, 374W combined?)

There is then a third 3" mid/tweeter in the center of the front dash that is used to fine tune the imaging.

I'm 99% sure all of the Bose speakers(past and present) for our cars have been 2 ohms.

While you are not going to enter it in an IASCA competition any time soon, the system as a whole sounds pretty good, especially if you drop a solid 10" woofer in the trunk (either self powered or with a separate AMP).
The following 2 users liked this post by socketz67:
CHILLGrandpa (04-06-2023), Cwickenstein (05-12-2019)
Old 06-30-2015, 09:34 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
There is NO 10" self powered woofer in a coupe parcel shelf. Only sedan.

The rear door AND parcel shelf speakers are fill. Doors mid, parcel woofers.

The center dash speaker is used in surround movies, when paying a DVD only.

The rear speakers are used as "surround speakers" when playing a DVD.
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 11:23 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
Correct. The pic I found and posted above appears to show the 11 speaker configuration in the coupe. The other information I provided applies to the sedan. Not sure why they decided to change the rear parcel configuration in the coupe. Perhaps because of space restrictions? Also, is anyone familiar with the Bose setup in other Nissans, like the Maxima? Sound better, worse, same?
Old 08-12-2018, 11:32 AM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
https://www.crutchfield.com/car/outfitmycar/mycar.aspx. They finally got around to the G.
nr1asaf (12-21-2023)
Old 08-12-2018, 01:38 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I know we aren't going to be able to change the mind of a person who is determined to spend a lot of money changing their car. However, learn from my mistakes in the past (even with Bose in Nissans/Infiniti) and keep all of the equipment you take out of your G and don't make any mods that can't be reversed. If you ever decide to sell your car, or just give up on the audio side, you'll want to have the OEM stuff to revert back.

The Bose speakers in these cars are very good. My son and I went to buy Audio Technica ATH-M50x headphones the other day, we took my coupe (with Bose). My son wanted to know why I spent $140 on headphones, and I excitedly proceeded to show him "whats up" by letting him try out my headphones. He looked at me puzzled (he's 10, going on 11) and asked "what's so special, sounds just like your car?" I grabbed the headphones, and yup, sounds just like the Bose in my coupe. Kind of let down on my $140 headphones, until I connected them to my old-school Pioneer SX-1050 using an SACD disc, yeah then the headphones were superior, or were they? I don't use SACD in my coupe, it uses my BT stream from Pandora. All things being equal, Bose in the G sounds nearly as good as my highly rated headphones.

The only thing I would do, as others have mentioned, is add a high-quality sub. Oh, and the Bose doesn't go to "11" like I would like. So, if you want a system that'll go to "11", yeah change it out or upgrade it! But don't expect to actually make the system more accurate, because good luck with that!

Sorry for going off the rails a little, I used to always change my stereos out. I have learned that sometimes it is better to leave well enough alone. And I am getting old!
Old 08-14-2018, 02:40 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by takemorepills
I know we aren't going to be able to change the mind of a person who is determined to spend a lot of money changing their car. However, learn from my mistakes in the past (even with Bose in Nissans/Infiniti) and keep all of the equipment you take out of your G and don't make any mods that can't be reversed. If you ever decide to sell your car, or just give up on the audio side, you'll want to have the OEM stuff to revert back.

The Bose speakers in these cars are very good. My son and I went to buy Audio Technica ATH-M50x headphones the other day, we took my coupe (with Bose). My son wanted to know why I spent $140 on headphones, and I excitedly proceeded to show him "whats up" by letting him try out my headphones. He looked at me puzzled (he's 10, going on 11) and asked "what's so special, sounds just like your car?" I grabbed the headphones, and yup, sounds just like the Bose in my coupe. Kind of let down on my $140 headphones, until I connected them to my old-school Pioneer SX-1050 using an SACD disc, yeah then the headphones were superior, or were they? I don't use SACD in my coupe, it uses my BT stream from Pandora. All things being equal, Bose in the G sounds nearly as good as my highly rated headphones.

The only thing I would do, as others have mentioned, is add a high-quality sub. Oh, and the Bose doesn't go to "11" like I would like. So, if you want a system that'll go to "11", yeah change it out or upgrade it! But don't expect to actually make the system more accurate, because good luck with that!

Sorry for going off the rails a little, I used to always change my stereos out. I have learned that sometimes it is better to leave well enough alone. And I am getting old!
Not sure its age, probably more a shift of priorities. I was 53 when I bought my first G37 and promptly ripped all traces of Bose out of the car, pulled the head liner, door panels and carpets to add sound deadener and installed three new amps and a host of new speakers. I fully agree with your tip on keeping the OEM stuff as there's no way Id get the $$ out of the audio equipment I added on resale and doubt whether most buyers would even want it left in the car.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:38 AM
jihool

Sorry to resurrect an old thread...but does anyone know the frequency range of the rear woofer? Is it a woofer (~ 20 - 2,000 Hz) or a sub woofer (~ 20 - 200 Hz)?

I ask because that speaker stopped working in my 2010 sedan and the shop replaced it with a Pioneer subwoofer (TS-WX120A) saying that it would be a big improvement. Unfortunately, I have been very underwhelmed with the new sub's performance and the sound just isn't the same as it was. I'm thinking that the original rear speaker was a woofer so I was hearing it more often since it can handle a greater range of Hz and that while new sub woofer may be working fine, it's just not as noticeable because it has such a restricted range of Hz.

Is that possible?

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 05-12-2019, 06:13 PM
Cwickenstein

Originally Posted by mummy2
Unfortunately this Crutchfield link, though they are usually pretty accurate, is inaccurate. The *LOWER FRONTS* in their diagram show 6.5" speakers. After following this chart, their *build your system* or whatever it's called, Ebay and Amazon specs to *fit your vehicle* NOTHING suggests 10" woofers in lower front door. What a bummer, eh? Especially since my 2 bros came over, fired up a couple bowls of fine cannabis, cracked an icy cold brew, 2 shots of espresso, and after tearing off the door panel, discover that - HOLY FRACK - these ain't the correct sized front speakers. Damn it.

Also, I didn't know the trim was screwed into the panel, so...I guess I'm getting that carbon fiber trim I've been admiring after all.

My 'tween wants to be a YT star, so, next weekend, I'll be filming the wrenching on the car with the replacements having him do the camera work. We can load it on his channel and hopefully get some hits whilst helping out my fellow noobs. If it comes out OK, I'll drop it here.

Happy Spring, all!
Old 05-12-2019, 06:28 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

When you order speakers from them they will send along adapters to make them fit. Nobody sells 10 inch speakers that will fit in the door, that I know of, so that's why they say 6 and a half will fit with adapters.
Cwickenstein (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 09:34 PM
Cwickenstein

I see. I didn't see the adapters being sold with those speakers. I am looking @ several 10" with shallow depth that should fit. However, I am mostly seeing 4 ohm, and since an earlier comment said 2 ohm, I am concerned... I'm not privy to impedance, ohms, etc. Also, everything I see for sale start as *woofers* but end up being *subwoofers* which are two different frequency ranges. Based on the sound of the existing speaker (the driver's side is blown - passenger seems fine) I would guess that these are actually woofers, as they seem to carry a bit more than just super low range bass. The OEM Bose speaker is literally printed with the word "woofer" but NO other details or specs. Quite frustrating, really. I can't seem to find any details anywhere, other than Socketz67 above excellent response. I can't verify any of that info, but honestly, it's the best I've found! haha These details are NOT listed in manuals. Any help? Danke!
Old 05-12-2019, 09:45 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

When you buy something from Crutchfield they send along speaker adapters or mounting hardware for free. It will show up when you add to your cart if you inputed your car info.
Cwickenstein (05-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2022, 02:24 PM
DallasPirate
Registered Member

Originally Posted by socketz67
Correct. The pic I found and posted above appears to show the 11 speaker configuration in the coupe. The other information I provided applies to the sedan. Not sure why they decided to change the rear parcel configuration in the coupe. Perhaps because of space restrictions? Also, is anyone familiar with the Bose setup in other Nissans, like the Maxima? Sound better, worse, same?

I have an 07 Pathfinder w/Bose. It’s actually exceeded my expectations. Blew the subs but that was an easy fix. Just picked up this 2013 G37. The music isn’t what i imagined. Seems like the rear isn’t getting powered or fade control works differently due to the speaker locations but I don’t get the full range as I get up front. I’m guessing a fuse or loose connection but haven’t had time to pull the rear panel yet. Will update as available.
Old 04-13-2022, 01:52 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Originally Posted by DallasPirate
I have an 07 Pathfinder w/Bose. It’s actually exceeded my expectations. Blew the subs but that was an easy fix. Just picked up this 2013 G37. The music isn’t what i imagined. Seems like the rear isn’t getting powered or fade control works differently due to the speaker locations but I don’t get the full range as I get up front. I’m guessing a fuse or loose connection but haven’t had time to pull the rear panel yet. Will update as available.
Does it come with Bose?
I do know the front speakers are huge in comparison to the rear.

I'm also quite happy with the Bose, its powerful enough to cancel outside noises and my speech as well plus rattling door components loose.
My concern is when the speakers start wearing if there are any comparable speaker replacements since in the future trying to find Bose speakers in decent shape my be it's own mission.
Old 04-13-2022, 04:11 PM
DallasPirate
Registered Member

Bose impedance

My experience is that Bose allegedly custom designed each vehicle interior. Bose GM will not fit Nissan and vice versa.

Also the impedance is 1 ohm which is very hard to find. Most aftermarket systems are 4 ohm maybe a few 8s still available...

Bose was no help in finding oem speakers for the sub in the rear. Had to remove and recone. Found a sub box with both speakers at the salvage yard and reconed as a backup set. No issues since.

The android phone has a dsp that simulates a bazooka tube and it sounds amazing. Both music and movies. Bose is a more than decent factory install when all speakers and amp work. I wouldn't try to mix anything foreign.