Audio, Video & Electronics Reviews on G Audio, Video, and Electronics.

Review 2013 G37x Aftermarket Audio System/Second Display

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 06:42 PM
eemba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 G37x Aftermarket Audio System/Second Display

Hello everyone.

I have a 2013 G37x sedan, premium, Bose sound system, non-nav. I decided to purchase an aftermarket sound system (Pioneer AVH-4100NEX Flagship 7") and the double din dash kit (METRA 99-7625B Infiniti G35/G37 SEDAN/COUPE 08-13 Double Din Dash Kit Combo).

First I'll talk about quality and looks of each then go on to the install problems and headaches (that's probably just bad luck for me, not necessarily problems with the product integration itself).

I really did not like the look of the double din dash kit. It looked cheap, the buttons stick, it was not flush with the dashboard, there are two unlabeled buttons that had no use, and the temp increment/decrement looked awful. It only comes in black so if you have light interior, stay away. It completely brought down the class of the vehicle.
The audio system looked great by itself and had great functionality, no complaints there.

Now to the headache part... The installers completely messed up the install, took away original functionality, completely changed the software on my original display, etc.
I was told that it would take about 2.5 hours to install. 5 hours later they said they ran in to problems and could not integrate the audio steering controls or maintain the factory backup camera on my original display. I was told to come back later. Drove home and realized that I had lost all functionality of my original system (no mpg calculation, maintenance options went away, no rear view camera, etc.). My passenger airbag was disabled somehow. Brought it back today and they still couldn't figure out the issues mentioned. I'm asking to get my car put back to stock.

So beware, the process of getting new audio options for the G37 is painful. Or maybe I just got very unlucky.

Better luck to everyone else with their aftermarket audio choices.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:00 PM
Born2lse

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was looking at the Metra kit the other day, it's still in my open tabs lol. I thought it was suppose to be "plug and play" for the most part but I guess not. Thanks for letting us know.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:31 PM
bmarshall8

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is all good stuff to know and consider. Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:31 PM
d3r3zz3d

Successful Install

I had the same kit installed with a Pioneer AVIC 8200NEX. I did have some difficulties on the install. The top panel of buttons were in backwards to start. My steering wheel controls are incomplete. I couldn't get track forward to work so I programmed track backward as my track forwards. Same will phone pickup and phone hangup. Had to switch them to get phone pickup to work. I have been working with a Metra tech who is very helpful on getting the system and maintenance controls to sync. If I break anymore ground I will let you know.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:19 PM
_Bach_

Originally Posted by d3r3zz3d
I did have some difficulties on the install. The top panel of buttons were in backwards to start. My steering wheel controls are incomplete.
Please be acknowledged, that replacing of the car stereo receiver by another one (you can pick the new one in this review if it will be needed, or look some tips from buyer's guide), 95% has risks of falling some general functionality of the related devices or the main head unit. Something often does not work properly, but obviously there is the chance to correct the situation.
In this case, beware of weak, small or unknown brands, that doesn't has free and reliable support.

Last edited by _Bach_; 01-08-2020 at 11:11 AM.