Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help Steering Wheel Shortcut for Changing Songs on iPod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 12:53 AM
red80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Shortcut for Changing Songs on iPod?

Hey Everybody,

I'm new to the forum.

Just traded in my 2006 TL for a 2012 G37 and loving it so far.

I've been using my iPod classic to listen to music and was wanting to know if there was a way to change/skip songs on my iPod with any of the steering wheel buttons/switches?

I've only had the car 2 days so forgive me for not fully investigating how to do it (if it's possible).

For now, I only see the dashboard buttons as the way how to change and pick songs manually.

Of course, that's not the most convenient way to do it when you're driving...

It just seems like there should be a way to skip to next song on my playlist through one of the steering wheel buttons but I've only been able to adjust the volume.

Any help?
Old 12-30-2014, 01:18 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
the toggle switch on the left i think. up and down.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:32 AM
red80

Are you referring to the up/down switch that's above the volume button in the pic below?

I tried that but all it seemed to do was switch my iPod around to XM radio, regular radio and etc.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:56 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
The UP/DOWN button changes tracks when playing iPod (iPhone in my case) or CD and changes stations when playing radio (AM/FM/SAT).

The SOURCE switch above that toggles music between radio, CD, iPod, etc. I wouldn't imagine there'd by any changes to these functions. Could be a glitch in Apples code- happens very frequently with these cars.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:07 AM
Jestered
Premier Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Apple can't change the function of the vehicles steering wheel controls. It can't change the up/down switch to all of a sudden have a completely different function. That's built into the car, not the iOS device.

My guess is that you don't have a good feel of the buttons you're actually pushing/moving because the car is new to you. You can see the very top button is labled "Source", which is what toggles through radio, sat, iPod, etc... You must be hitting that very top button and not pushing on the up/down switch. Make sure you're pushing up or down on the switch to move through the menu, then push that same switch in, like a button, to actually choose what it is you have selected on the screen.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:05 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Really?

No, Apple can not change the code (operating system) of Infiniti's AV system but they CAN change the code of the iPod.

Every time Apple issues a iOS update and/or someone upgrades to the newest device model, invariably someone has issues with the device and our cars- whether it be Bluetooth, iPod, whatever. Just search the forums and you will plenty of problems.

I was only stating that I doubt the issue, IF there is a issue, lies with the car. Possible, but not probable.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:24 AM
Jestered
Premier Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Really?

No, Apple can not change the code (operating system) of Infiniti's AV system but they CAN change the code of the iPod.

Every time Apple issues a iOS update and/or someone upgrades to the newest device model, invariably someone has issues with the device and our cars- whether it be Bluetooth, iPod, whatever. Just search the forums and you will plenty of problems.

I was only stating that I doubt the issue, IF there is a issue, lies with the car. Possible, but not probable.
It's not possible that an iOS device, or any other phone for that matter, can make the up/down button on the steering wheel all of a sudden now change the Source of the head unit. The steering wheel controls are talking directly to the head unit and don't involve the iOS device at all. The issues you've described are how the phone talks/deals with the car. What we're talking about here is how the car is talking to itself (steering wheel to head unit). The only way I can think that the up/down switch could change the source is if someone was mucking around with the wiring of the steering wheel switches and wired it up wrong. And then the buttons would be screwed up for everything, not just a single source or device.

I do agree that it's probably not the car that is the problem. That's why I said it's likely that he's just not used to the feel and layout of the buttons and he's pressing the wrong button.

Also, I do see how what I said could easily have come off di@kish, so I apologize for that as it wasn't my intention.

Last edited by Jestered; 12-30-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:50 AM
red80

Guys, thanks for the help and let's not get all salty with each other lol.

Everyone that replied was correct. I tried the up/down switch this morning and the playlist skipped to the next song just the way I was wanting it to.

Gonna sound like a crazy guy or maybe more like a dumb noob but could've swore that I tried the same thing when I first used my iPod and that it was doing what would happen if I pressed the "source" button so I'll just chalk it up that I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize I was pressing the "source" button the whole time haha.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Really?

Originally Posted by Jestered
It's not possible that an iOS device, or any other phone for that matter, can make the up/down button on the steering wheel all of a sudden now change the Source of the head unit. The steering wheel controls are talking directly to the head unit and don't involve the iOS device at all. The issues you've described are how the phone talks/deals with the car. What we're talking about here is how the car is talking to itself (steering wheel to head unit). The only way I can think that the up/down switch could change the source is if someone was mucking around with the wiring of the steering wheel switches and wired it up wrong. And then the buttons would be screwed up for everything, not just a single source or device.

I do agree that it's probably not the car that is the problem. That's why I said it's likely that he's just not used to the feel and layout of the buttons and he's pressing the wrong button.

Also, I do see how what I said could easily have come off di@kish, so I apologize for that as it wasn't my intention.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:53 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Glad you figured it out OP.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:02 PM
CoolBreeze
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are in the B’s for artist or album and want to go to the R’s, holding down on the button will eventually start fast scrolling through the alphabet, to get you the R’s quicker.

I wished it worked like this for the USB and Music Box.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:06 PM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Reviving an old similar thread instead of creating a new one.

Question is on the ability to change songs with steering wheel control on screens other than "Now Playing".

2011 G37 (premium/navi) using USB 30 pin iPod cable (older touch screen, no camera, thinking Gen 4?). Steering wheel control changes songs as expected, however only on the now playing screen for the iPod. When I'm viewing the map (navigation) I can only adjust the volume and can't change tracks.

Is this a known quirk of the system or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

-Eric
Old 08-13-2017, 08:27 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by llebcire

Question is on the ability to change songs with steering wheel control on screens other than "Now Playing".

2011 G37 (premium/navi) using USB 30 pin iPod cable (older touch screen, no camera, thinking Gen 4?). Steering wheel control changes songs as expected, however only on the now playing screen for the iPod. When I'm viewing the map (navigation) I can only adjust the volume and can't change tracks.

Is this a known quirk of the system or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

-Eric
not a quirk - as designed. that button is not a *Track* Up/Down/Select" button - its just a generic Up/Down/Select button. if you aren't on the "Now Playing" screen, it just moves the "select field" up and down.

for example, if you hit the "Phone" button, you can use the "Select" button to go up and down to choose "Quick Dial", "Phonebook", etc. and then press it in to enter your selection ... without taking your hands off the wheel.

hope that makes sense.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:46 AM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Landshark,

**5:30 pm Update: Just attempted by holding for 1.5 seconds and it works when the map is displayed - sorry for reviving an old thread for no reason**

Thank you - your explanation makes perfect sense!

I ask as when I'm on the map, the control performs correctly for AM/FM (haven't tried CD) changing stations or seeking, however doesn't appear to do anything for the iPod.

I will try again later today however the owner's manual indicates it should work.

-Eric

Last edited by llebcire; 08-13-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:50 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by llebcire

**5:30 pm Update: Just attempted by holding for 1.5 seconds and it works when the map is displayed - sorry for reviving an old thread for no reason**

no problem, it was a legitimate question. i almost wish there was a dedicated prev/next track button ... sometimes i hit it before i realize i am not on the Now Playing screen and nothing happens.

i am embarrassed to say that i haven't read the owner's manual cover-to-cover like i usually do, and have just referred to it when needed. i learned something new about holding the button for more than 1.5sec, so thanks.
The following users liked this post:
llebcire (08-14-2017)