Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Need help choosing custom trunk solution, Maximum bass

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 07:52 PM
Neddy_G37

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You will like the remote start, was going to get it for my car but the seat heaters work plenty fast enough.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Arrogant

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Ok, a little bad news and a slight change of plans. I forgot I ended up with the 13w3 instead of the 12w3 because of the sale. Well, the amount of space need for a ported box install would have taken up almost the entire trunk. To keep a little space I decided to just go with sealed.

In retrospect I would have probably gotten the 12w3 or even the 10w3 and gone ported. Too late now, but I will think about that next time. I guess the box is so big they had to build it inside the car, which is pretty crazy.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:54 AM
Neddy_G37

Most custom boxes are built inside the car, makes for a tighter fit. Hopefully your going to be saving some money since they are only using one speaker now. And going sealed instead of ported. So you should be picking it up today right?
Old 12-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Arrogant

Yup so I picked it up today I see I made a confusing statement in the previous post, its still 2 13W3, just not ported. Pics to come soon, but overall impressions.

I really like the install job, its basically exactly what I wanted, very plain with a slight bit of flash. The amount of room leftover is perfect, glad I did not go with ported. On the other hand because I did not go with ported and the trunk is sealed pretty tight the bass is not as loud as I wanted, however, it is loud. I had 2 10" type r running off 1200W in a ported box that were louder, but this is still loud. Overall, I am really happy with this, but it really shows how weak the factory mids and highs are now. Pics will come as soon as my telephone charges.
The following users liked this post:
Neddy_G37 (12-03-2014)
Old 12-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Neddy_G37

What are the specs on your amp? THD (distortion) can really change the way a system sounds. An amp with a high THD will sound worse, even at higher output levels, than an amp with a really low THD and less output. I see a lot of these Radio Shack amps rated at 2000 watts, and its $80. Funny stuff.

Im not going to bed until pics are posted, you got me feeling like a kid on christmas morning!
Old 12-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Arrogant

So, you stayed up all night? haha, sorry, I got tired and fell asleep on the couch. I am at work, and am not going out in this cold so I will get them after work today. On the JL website it just says THD+N @ Rated Power <1% @ 2 Ω per Ch. No idea if that is even the same metric you are speaking of. I am using the JL XD1000/1v2. The amp I had with the type r's was just a hifonics 1200W RMS, given the price difference the JL amp better be much better.

Also, while this is common with all rear firing subs, the trunk on the g37 rattles more than almost anything i ahve heard. It is insane the amount it rattles, and it even effects the bass inside the car. It rattles so much you hear all of the rattles even in the front seat. I have some second skin damplifier left over from when i did the rest of the trunk that I will add to the trunk lid this weekend. That plus some MLV should take care of that issue, and even might help getting more bass into the cabin.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Neddy_G37

nah, went to bed about 3am. Due to being laid off for the winter at my job, I have more free time now.

THD being anywhere near 1% is hideous. They are called "dirty" amps. However, be that as it may, until you get those harmonics tuned up (stop the rattles), no amount of power will cover it up. Use whatever you can to stop any and all metal from vibrating. Also, retune your amp yourself. Not sure how they are doing it now but back in my day, you turned the gain on the amp all the way down, all eq settings at zero, bass and treble on radio at zero, and the radio at 3/4 volume. Turn the gain up until it sounds muddled, crackly, or distorted. Turn the gain down just a hair from that point. Then your set.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Arrogant

Well, here the pics are. Yes, they are pretty bad, but I have no idea how to take a proper picture. I will figure it out and get better ones.
Attached Thumbnails Need help choosing custom trunk solution, Maximum bass-img_20141204_184051.jpg   Need help choosing custom trunk solution, Maximum bass-img_20141204_184120.jpg  
Old 12-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Neddy_G37

Lookin good there playboy! Blue neon was a nice touch, and it looks like they used a ton of your trunk for that enclosure. If you ever plan on putting anything in the trunk, may I suggest covers for those subs.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:26 PM
Arrogant

Thanks man. Subs already have covers for that exact reason. I would say there is maybe 1 foot of space? 3.6 cubic foot box (i asked for larger than specs). That is why I did not get the ported it would have been like 4 inches of space left. Can't wait to do trunk lid saturday, that will have to improve sound drastically. Also, the rearview mirror in this rattles at weird frequencies, I have to figure out how to fix hat, its annoying as ****.

Edit: I think its sligtly large than 1 foot of space, maybe closer to 15.

Last edited by Arrogant; 12-04-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Neddy_G37

You really want to see that mirror move, buy this CD and you may damn near break it off!

Amazon.com: Illegal Bass: Bass Outlaws: MP3 Downloads Amazon.com: Illegal Bass: Bass Outlaws: MP3 Downloads

But to seriously help with your issue, nothing will stop the vibration of the mirror, roof, seats, etc. short of turning the volume down. Like the beach boys said "good good good, good vibrations". LOL!

What is the box tuned to? I noticed your amp has a few crossovers on it, would be interesting to note how its set.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:14 PM
Neddy_G37

This is the idea I was going to go with for my box design, which is quite similar to yours, just using a bandpass enclosure. Cant wait to see the daytime pics of it. Assuming, of course, you want to take pics during the day.
Attached Thumbnails Need help choosing custom trunk solution, Maximum bass-september06-018.jpg  
Old 12-06-2014, 02:07 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Arrogant

Also, while this is common with all rear firing subs, the trunk on the g37 rattles more than almost anything i have heard. It is insane the amount it rattles, and it even effects the bass inside the car. It rattles so much you hear all of the rattles even in the front seat. I have some second skin damplifier left over from when i did the rest of the trunk that I will add to the trunk lid this weekend. That plus some MLV should take care of that issue, and even might help getting more bass into the cabin.
lol, everything from the license plate, the interior trunk release latch the taillight lenses, the wiring looms against the floor pan and the body, the trunk lid panels to the damn trunk liners. There are places on the trunk lid where there is not sufficient space between the inner bracing and the outer skin for damplifier. I used the spectrum undercoating
Old 12-06-2014, 03:58 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Title states you wanted maximum bass..yet you go with a sealed enclosure . For the sedan..the rattle on the rear is all on the rear dash area. Remove the plastic panel and dynamat the entire piece. If you want to be cheap you can stick mf towels or pool noodles in the corner against the rear window..cheap temp fix.

Can you post some pictures in the day time without the neon? Where'd he mount the amp? Install looks clean.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Arrogant

Well, I had to go with sealed because of the size box required for my subs for ported box, it is not what I wanted.

That bandpass is nice, I would have done it similar except of the cost involved of sealing off the trunk and having a side firing sub.

I put sound deadener on the trunk lid today and it made a huge difference. I cannot hear the rattles inside now, and the bass is actually way deeper. I still need to handle some rattles that you can only hear outside, but the trunk is almost perfect at this point.

Now the two main issues are the rattling from the rear view mirror, and some rattling from the front passenger side door.

I am really trying to take pics, but I don't even like opening my trunk. My block is ok, but my block is like two blocks from prostitutes, drug dealers, and murders. Given the blue LED drawing attention I get freaked out over even opening the trunk.

Quick Reply: Need help choosing custom trunk solution, Maximum bass