Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Android - Stream Music Over Bluetooth w/o Nav, no extra parts needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:27 AM
LooksLikeASport

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Android - Stream Music Over Bluetooth w/o Nav, no extra parts needed

So one major complaint that a lot of people have is that you cannot stream music over bluetooth if you do not have the navigation package. I accidentally found a way to do just that. There is no need to buy extra parts, and no need to re-wire your car. The catch is, the quality is not good and you have to be on a phone call over bluetooth.

Here is how I did it (I have a 2012 G37x w/o nav and a Samsung GS3):
  1. My phone was connected to my car via bluetooth.
  2. I started a phone call and then pressed the home button (this minimized the call, but did not hang up)
  3. Then I opened Pandora and the music came through the car speakers as if it was part of the phone call.

Now, you just need to find a number that you can call that is free, like mobile-to-mobile or a service number for your wireless provider. That number must also not hang up on your for long periods of time. Also, ideally, the phonecall will be silent so that all you hear is the music you're streaming.

I'm not saying that this is a great method, but it works. You have to be on a phone call the whole time, and the sound quality is bad...but I'm pretty sure you can play audio from any app, not just Pandora. I may have missed something somewhere, but I haven't seen this method posted before so I thought I would share.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:17 AM
MrJCole13
Premier Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I would rather just purchase a CD and enjoy the music then listen to crappy sound quality. my .02

Good find though
Old 03-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
It is cool that you discovered this, and that you decided to share it. But it's possibly one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Lol.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:56 PM
LooksLikeASport

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
It is cool that you discovered this, and that you decided to share it. But it's possibly one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Lol.
Haha yea I agree for the most part. It sounds like you're listening to the music underwater or through a fishbowl or something . Basically...crappy call quality audio, but music instead. Definitely not a long term solution, but it's free and quick. So if you're desperate.... lol

And for the record, I'm not using this myself...I just accidentally found it. I'll be adding a tablet to my dash like Chrismitch and Paratrooper have....It's a much better solution (harder and more expensive though).

here
https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...nexus-7-a.html

and here
https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...ml#post3741844
Old 03-21-2014, 02:43 PM
MrJCole13
Premier Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by black betty
it is cool that you discovered this, and that you decided to share it. But it's possibly one of the worst ideas i've ever heard. Lol.

ha ha ha ha ha