Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 PM
chrismitch
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I chose to go with this 7 port USB hub

How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7-a1ds_130348366021833015ng6lorbgek.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1DS14S2075

With this hub you don't need to do any voltage conversion. It takes a 12v input into the hub and it then converts it and puts out up to 12 amps at 5 volts to 7 devices. It also does simultaneous data syncing. I wired the DC input plug directly into the cigarette lighter wiring. The only other thing you have to do is take the momentary push button switch on the hub circuit board and solder it so that it is in the "always on" position

Sorry I've been really busy with work recently but i'll send a picture as soon as i get time.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:28 PM
LooksLikeASport

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chrismitch
Sorry I've been really busy with work recently but i'll send a picture as soon as i get time.
No worries. Take your time, just don't abandon the thread and never come back lol.

I might be able to start putting it together next week. Last night I got a 2012 32GB N7 and my JoyCon already came in. I have ordered the same USB hub as you, and that should be coming in early next week. I just have to order a couple more small things from amazon and I think I'll be ready to go (aside from the video conversion hardware. I'm going to wait a week or two to order those items).
Old 03-04-2014, 07:10 PM
jattsurma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If HDMI doesn't solve the problem, can you try hooking up another device like a dvd player through the grabber and see if your quality still dies. I wonder if the quality issue is happening in the RGBS signal conversion device. Maybe overheat overtime?

Another test would be to do the inverse by hooking up the RCA to a portable television (or any other device that has RCA input... another G lol)
Old 03-04-2014, 07:41 PM
jattsurma

Found a psd from another car owner and created this in photoshop. Yes, needs work. Time spent: 10 min.

It can be its own separate app or the launcher apps that allow hotspotting links to other apps with a background image.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:24 AM
lex99frc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump! any updates on the hdmi converter? i am ready to order but would like to use hdmi so waiting on results
Old 03-11-2014, 11:46 PM
jattsurma

Any updates on HDMI?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:02 AM
LooksLikeASport

I'm anxious too guys, but be patient! Chris said he has been busy at work. I'm sure he'll get back on here and update us when he has time
Old 03-12-2014, 10:13 AM
lex99frc

i read so many different options on how to power the nexus also people say some chargers dont keep it charged while you use navi can someone educate me on this?
Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 AM
lex99frc

also alot of people cover the camera and the light sensor and some dont any reasons for that? other then use of camera ?
Old 03-12-2014, 10:58 AM
LooksLikeASport

Originally Posted by lex99frc
also alot of people cover the camera and the light sensor and some dont any reasons for that? other then use of camera ?
I haven't heard of this so I'm not sure why people do this. It may just depend on how they need to mount it. Covering the light sensor could trigger a lower brightness level if the screen brightness is set to auto. I'd probably try to keep the light sensor uncovered so that if you want to set the brightness to auto, then it will actually change the brightness based on the amount of light in the car.

i read so many different options on how to power the nexus also people say some chargers dont keep it charged while you use navi can someone educate me on this?
From what I've read, you should have no problem keeping your Nexus 7 fully charged if you're using a kernel that supports fast charging in usb host mode. Timur's USB Rom and kernel supports fast charging in host mode which allows you to keep your tablet charged while you have it connected to multiple USB devices and/or using navigation (if you're using a USB hub, make sure it is powered). It can draw up to 1.8A using fast charging, that should be more than enough to keep the N7 charged.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:02 AM
lex99frc

well is it good to use fast charge?

also in the g37 if you were to mount the nexus like chris you would be blocking light sensor

i belive everyone uses an app to dim the screen at a certain time?
Old 03-12-2014, 11:50 AM
LooksLikeASport

well is it good to use fast charge?
Using fast charge shouldn't harm your device at all. If you're using Timur's USB Rom, I believe it switches to trickle charging once the battery is fully charged.

also in the g37 if you were to mount the nexus like chris you would be blocking light sensor

i belive everyone uses an app to dim the screen at a certain time?
Yea, I haven't mounted mine yet. If my light sensor gets covered when I mount mine I will probably just use an app for dimming like you mentioned.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:05 PM
lex99frc

do you think its a good idea to move the power button somewhere else? just incase it dies?
Old 03-12-2014, 12:24 PM
LooksLikeASport

It's probably a good idea unless you want to tear apart your car to get the tablet out. I think I will probably make the power button accessible but I haven't decided where I want to put it yet. I'll probably also relocate the microUSB charging port so that I don't have to cut into the AC vent for the tablet to fit.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:32 PM
lex99frc

any links to do that?

Quick Reply: How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7