Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 01:56 AM
smouth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrismitch
This may be basic, but are you doing your testing with the parking break on or the car in park? With the parking break on and the system takes video input from yellow rca jack so the febon sees no input and displays a blue screen. Once the car is in drive it bypasses the video rca input and displays the normal stock screen.

If that's not the issue, a blue screen means that the febon is working but it's not getting an input signal. How did you tap into your video signal wires? The red, green, blue, combined sync, and signal ground should be cut and go directly into the cv-04. Meaning, there should be no input into the original LCD circuit board from these wires and they should be directly diverted into the cv-04. If you choose to power your cv-04 from the LCD wires (the 9v it supplies is sufficient) you need to splice a branch off of the + and - wires so that power is still being supplied to the LCD circuit board.

Other things I can think of is make sure all of the potentiometers on the cv-04 are turned all the way up and it is switched to NTSC instead of PAL.

Originally I had the red/green/blue/cs/sg going into the stock LCD circuit board and I had only spliced into them going into the cv04. After reading this, I cut them and routed them directly into the cv04, and I am still getting the blue screen. No parking brake and the car in reverse gives me a blue screen. When in drive, the stock screen shows up fine and all the controls work and everything. I tried messing with the potentiometers too and that didnt help. The cv04 is in NTSC.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:26 PM
entrebiz

@Smouth Did you ever figure out what the problem was? Curious because i plan on doing this mod soon.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2014, 03:21 AM
smouth

Originally Posted by entrebiz
@Smouth Did you ever figure out what the problem was? Curious because i plan on doing this mod soon.

Thanks
Nope, not yet. I've been living without the backup cam. Everything else works great though.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:29 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I've had the tablet in since July and haven't missed the back up camera that much.

My only gripe is that the 2012 Nexus 7 is much slower than the 2013 version.
It's not terrible enough for me to buy a 2013 edition just yet. I say slow, but what I mean is a 2-3 second delay sometimes. Not always.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:43 AM
Ivan Sini

Talking I know how to make the rear view camera work!!!!

First post here, bought the coupe 2 months ago, huge Nissan fan, I have been installing pc and tablets in my cars since 2008, blah blah blah, enough about me..

I KNOW!! why you guys can't get the rear view camera work.. its because Nissan send the camera video signal trough a different input, its actually using another cable in composite video (NOT THE RGBs!) for the rear camera... the cable will be the brown, if we pay attention to this two corrects diagrams (not the one Blazeplacid quotes on the post 119) you will see what i'm talking about!!

so you can check in this 2012 diagram BASE AUDIO WITH REAR VIEW CAMERA that the cable for the rear view camera is the Number 15 BR (I believe brown color) so this means if this is a plain old composite signal you guys can use one of this to send the signal to the febon

And since the AV Control unit SWITCHS signal from composite (rear view camera) to RGB (Regualr video you already have) it means you are going to have the rear view camera just exactly like the factory, every time you put on reverse the camera will show up!

Ok I need somebody to test this out, (anyways i'm 99% sure i'm right about this one) also I already order a 2013 nexus 7 and some stuff to get this thing in my car too.... thanks OP for all your work man, you saved me a lot of time!

Terra
Old 12-28-2014, 10:39 PM
smouth

So what you are saying is, in addition to the wiring between the RGB signal--->Weiya CV04---> Febon Video, there should be a wiring between 15 BR to a splitter at the Febon Video.

In other words, everything stays the same from the OP's directions, but we should add a signal from 15BR to the Febon using a splitter?

If so, I will try this soon and report back if it works.

Originally Posted by Ivan Sini
First post here, bought the coupe 2 months ago, huge Nissan fan, I have been installing pc and tablets in my cars since 2008, blah blah blah, enough about me..

I KNOW!! why you guys can't get the rear view camera work.. its because Nissan send the camera video signal trough a different input, its actually using another cable in composite video (NOT THE RGBs!) for the rear camera... the cable will be the brown, if we pay attention to this two corrects diagrams (not the one Blazeplacid quotes on the post 119) you will see what i'm talking about!!

so you can check in this 2012 diagram BASE AUDIO WITH REAR VIEW CAMERA that the cable for the rear view camera is the Number 15 BR (I believe brown color) so this means if this is a plain old composite signal you guys can use one of this to send the signal to the febon

And since the AV Control unit SWITCHS signal from composite (rear view camera) to RGB (Regualr video you already have) it means you are going to have the rear view camera just exactly like the factory, every time you put on reverse the camera will show up!

Ok I need somebody to test this out, (anyways i'm 99% sure i'm right about this one) also I already order a 2013 nexus 7 and some stuff to get this thing in my car too.... thanks OP for all your work man, you saved me a lot of time!

Terra
Old 12-28-2014, 10:43 PM
Ivan Sini

Originally Posted by smouth
So what you are saying is, in addition to the wiring between the RGB signal--->Weiya CV04---> Febon Video, there should be a wiring between 15 BR to a splitter at the Febon Video.

In other words, everything stays the same from the OP's directions, but we should add a signal from 15BR to the Febon using a splitter?

If so, I will try this soon and report back if it works.
There is a conection for the rear view camer, is rigth there!..

I'm just waiting to have some time to test this thing, but I will do it this Tuesday, I have all the stuff i need to start working...after confirm this work i will post a video.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:10 PM
Ivan Sini

Rear view Camera is working

Yeah, we only have to wire the brow #15 cable to the febon, that's all!

here is the wiring:

the yellow cable is the rear view camera that go straight to a splitter to febon,

video confirming everything

thanks chrismitch!
Next week i'm gonna upload a video with everything installed.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:52 PM
smouth

Awesome, I got mine working as well!

One thing though,my steering wheel lines dont show up like yours did, any ideas?. Also your quality will get much better when its only going to one screen.

Thanks !

Yeah, we only have to wire the brow #15 cable to the febon, that's all!

here is the wiring:

the yellow cable is the rear view camera that go straight to a splitter to febon,

video confirming everything

G37S working with nexus 7 2013 rear view camera - YouTube

thanks chrismitch!
Next week i'm gonna upload a video with everything installed.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:43 AM
Ivan Sini

Awesome, I got mine working as well!

One thing though,my steering wheel lines dont show up like yours did, any ideas?. Also your quality will get much better when its only going to one screen.

Thanks !

Ok the number 4 pin is the ground for the rear view camera, if you don't get the yellow lines on the rear view camera is because only one thing, YOU ARE NOT USING A RCA SPLITTER BEFORE THE FEBON.
just try one of these and will work, trust me:

https://www.elvessupply.com/Legrand-...mouxoC_8vw_wcB

now my video quality looks like crap, check this video of my "finished product"

there is something I did wrong let me ask you, did you use this cable on the weiya?

because I didn;t, so, maybe that the reason it looks this bad.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:27 PM
smouth

Ok, I'm waiting on a better quality video cable to arrive. I originally did not have the #4 ground connected. I will test it along with connecting it to the 4 pin ground once the cable arrives. I am using a splitter before the febon.

I actually did not use that connector. I cut off the connector and soldered the wires directly on the pins on the Weiya. The quality is not as good as stock but it is good enough, I will try to post a pic soon. Once again, I got the best quality after I had cut the cables that were spliced into to the original connector. In other words, I cut the cables 6/14/17/18/19 and extended them directly into the weiya pins. Before I had cut them my quality was much worse.

Ok the number 4 pin is the ground for the rear view camera, if you don't get the yellow lines on the rear view camera is because only one thing, YOU ARE NOT USING A RCA SPLITTER BEFORE THE FEBON.
just try one of these and will work, trust me:

https://www.elvessupply.com/Legrand-...mouxoC_8vw_wcB

now my video quality looks like crap, check this video of my "finished product"
Nexus 7 installed on Infiniti G37S with stock screen working - YouTube

there is something I did wrong let me ask you, did you use this cable on the weiya?

because I didn;t, so, maybe that the reason it looks this bad.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:54 PM
Ivan Sini

Ok, I'm waiting on a better quality video cable to arrive. I originally did not have the #4 ground connected. I will test it along with connecting it to the 4 pin ground once the cable arrives. I am using a splitter before the febon.

I actually did not use that connector. I cut off the connector and soldered the wires directly on the pins on the Weiya. The quality is not as good as stock but it is good enough, I will try to post a pic soon. Once again, I got the best quality after I had cut the cables that were spliced into to the original connector. In other words, I cut the cables 6/14/17/18/19 and extended them directly into the weiya pins. Before I had cut them my quality was much worse.

Ok, good, i'll cut the wires.

About the yellow lines on the rear view camera, check this video:

https://plus.google.com/117495396153...ts/h6ZADjbfecL

I'm sure there has to be the two video sources connected to the febon to get the lines working.

Thanks for your help smouth
Old 01-10-2015, 02:15 PM
Ivan Sini

lol

I cutted the wires and i have a way better picture but the back up camera messed up the lines.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:57 AM
idelgado782

Hey guys, quick question. Did anyone happen to take pictures of where they cut the wires & what they look like spliced to the weiya? I'm looking to do this on my car but I want to take a look at how others did it if possible.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:43 PM
puff2ice
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Huge fan of this thread. Is there a formal, or informal, write up?? or is everything still in beta(testing) mode?

Quick Reply: How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7