Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:46 AM
LooksLikeASport

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
Also, if you have even a decent set up, I HIGHLY recommend using a DAC. The headphone out from the DAC sounds much better than the Nexus headphone out. Well worth the money.
I'm using the optical out. Its feeding my Audison Bit ten. The optical connection really makes all the details sound their best. Anothergood part about the DAC is the RCA output. The DACs RCA out will provide a clean signal to your amps. This way you can run an amp from the DAC/Nexus 7.
If you also had something hooked up to the RCA input, how would you switched between the input from the tablet (over USB) and the RCA input? I do not see a switch on that DAC.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:38 AM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
That im not sure of. Ill see if I can try a 3.5mm to RCA cable later on the input this week.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:02 PM
LooksLikeASport

That im not sure of. Ill see if I can try a 3.5mm to RCA cable later on the input this week.
Thanks! And actually, I ordered one and it should be arriving today, so don't worry about it unless you want to play around with it. I'm super excited to get this thing put together. I'm still trying to decide on buying this amp:
LP-2020A (Lepai) LP-2020A (Lepai)
. Any thoughts on that?

What I plan to do is hook the DAC up to the tablet (via USB), and also have an auxiliary line to the DAC so that I can hook up any device (via 3.5mm audio plug converted to RCA so it can plug into the DAC). There will be a switch to change between the two.

Also, the output of the DAC I plan to have connected to a 4PDT relay. If I also connect the XM radio wires to that relay, and the output of the relay to the receiver, I can switch between XM radio and Tablet/Auxiliary Audio. I created a wiring schematic using a free CAD tool I found, so if anyone is interested in seeing that let me know and I'll post it when I get home. The end result will hopefully be something like this:
  1. Change Source to XM on the G37
  2. Use switch #1 to control relay to change between (XM) OR (Tablet or Auxiliary)
  3. If in (Tablet or Auxiliary) mode, switch #2 will toggle the audio between the (Tablet) and (Auxiliary) lines

P.S. If I end up getting the amp, the output of the DAC will be hooked up to that, and then the amp will be hooked up to the 4PDT relay.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:29 PM
smouth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been working on this install this past weekend. Got the audio to work thru the headphone jack of the nexus 7 by splicing into the xm input. Using the wieya/febon I was able to display the stock screen on the nexus 7 however the only thing that did not work was the backup cam. Every time I put it in reverse it would just show a solid blue screen. Any input?
Old 07-16-2014, 02:06 PM
LooksLikeASport

Originally Posted by smouth
I've been working on this install this past weekend. Got the audio to work thru the headphone jack of the nexus 7 by splicing into the xm input. Using the wieya/febon I was able to display the stock screen on the nexus 7 however the only thing that did not work was the backup cam. Every time I put it in reverse it would just show a solid blue screen. Any input?
I haven't gotten to that point yet, but I remember seeing chrismitch say something about the wiring harness needing to still be hooked up to the lcd circuit board. Here is the quote:

It is also worth mentioning that the video display wiring harness still needs to be hooked into the stock LCD circuit board in order for it to work. This is because the stock LCD circuit board sends signals back to the AV Control unit telling it that is receiving signal. You don’t have to have the LCD screen itself hooked up, just the circuit board that is immediately behind it.
Do you have the LCD circuit board still hooked up to the wiring harness?
Old 07-16-2014, 03:52 PM
smouth

Originally Posted by LooksLikeASport
I haven't gotten to that point yet, but I remember seeing chrismitch say something about the wiring harness needing to still be hooked up to the lcd circuit board. Here is the quote:

Do you have the LCD circuit board still hooked up to the wiring harness?
Ya I still have the lcd circuit board hooked up, I spliced into the wires of the 24 channel port that goes into the back of that board, following the original instructions.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:44 AM
chrismitch
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ya I still have the lcd circuit board hooked up, I spliced into the wires of the 24 channel port that goes into the back of that board, following the original instructions.
Did you ever do the video bypass hack in the past? If you did you need to reverse it for the display to work properly. I learned this the hard way!
Old 08-04-2014, 10:11 PM
RedShirt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Essentially would this work with an ipad mini? I know it would fit size wise. I've read through all the steps (but skimmed some of the comments) and it seems as if the process would be pretty much the same?
Old 08-07-2014, 10:49 AM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Ipad mini might require some modification to the trim being that its 7.9" vs the Nexus 7".

It will work but some of the apps listed above may not be in the app store.
Parts are called different things but they are essentially the same.

Google soundman or other ipad in dash installs to get a parts list.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:27 AM
RedShirt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ipad mini might require some modification to the trim being that its 7.9" vs the Nexus 7".

It will work but some of the apps listed above may not be in the app store.
Parts are called different things but they are essentially the same.

Google soundman or other ipad in dash installs to get a parts list.
Thank You!! Soundman is going to be very helpful I think!
Old 08-24-2014, 04:29 PM
smouth

Originally Posted by chrismitch
Did you ever do the video bypass hack in the past? If you did you need to reverse it for the display to work properly. I learned this the hard way!
No I never have done that bypass, and unfortunately I still havent figured out what the problem is
Old 08-26-2014, 04:15 AM
Andy Tzeng

1. FEBON168 UVC HDMI GRABBER CARD work on NEUXS7 ISSUE

without root on nexus7, uvc device can work on nexus7.
APK: UsbWebカメラ

GOOGLE PLAY:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...t.usbwebcamera

the table as below link is my test

FEBON: [NO root ] NEXUS7 2013 vbersion /Samsung with Android 4.4.2 (Android 4.4.3) can let UVC device work

2. FEBON168 UVC HDMI GRABBER CARD have two version

it have 720p version and 1080p version

all of two version supprt 1920x1080i now

1. 720p version

Download link -720P VERSION (with Plastic case)

all of hdmi input resolution scale down/ up into 1280x720p output

2. 1080p version

Download link -1080P VERSION (with Plastic case)

Full screen : HDMI input resolution = UVC output resolution

CROP: HDMI input resolution > UVC output resolution

NO VIDEO: HDMI INPUT resolution < UVC output resolution

Old 08-26-2014, 11:35 AM
chrismitch
Registered Member

No I never have done that bypass, and unfortunately I still havent figured out what the problem is
This may be basic, but are you doing your testing with the parking break on or the car in park? With the parking break on and the system takes video input from yellow rca jack so the febon sees no input and displays a blue screen. Once the car is in drive it bypasses the video rca input and displays the normal stock screen.

If that's not the issue, a blue screen means that the febon is working but it's not getting an input signal. How did you tap into your video signal wires? The red, green, blue, combined sync, and signal ground should be cut and go directly into the cv-04. Meaning, there should be no input into the original LCD circuit board from these wires and they should be directly diverted into the cv-04. If you choose to power your cv-04 from the LCD wires (the 9v it supplies is sufficient) you need to splice a branch off of the + and - wires so that power is still being supplied to the LCD circuit board.

Other things I can think of is make sure all of the potentiometers on the cv-04 are turned all the way up and it is switched to NTSC instead of PAL.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:27 PM
chrismitch
Registered Member

Wow Andy Febon himself posting on this board. Hey Andy, in order for us to use the Febon hdmi grabber we need an android software that supports the 1366x768 resolution which I have not been able to find.

Here's the problem. The only available CGA to HDMI converters have the following resolution outputs:
1360x768
1024x768
800x600
640x480
Your HDMI grabber accepts:
1920x1080
1280x720
1366x768
720x480
So the closest match is the 1366x480 resolution.

Can you help us find some android software that supports this resolution? I have both the CGA to HDMI converter and the FEBON HDMI grabber but due to lack of android software I have given up on them.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:42 PM
Andy Tzeng

how about you use 702p version?

all of hdmi input resolution become 1280x720p only output.

it can take 1366x768 and scale down to 1280x720

Quick Reply: How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7