MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Audio, Video & Electronics (https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-video-and-electronics-310/)
-   -   Help g37 stereo upgrade help (https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-video-and-electronics/243749-g37-stereo-upgrade-help.html)

nkamsheh1 01-26-2013 12:55 AM

g37 stereo upgrade help

2009 G37 coupe (base)

i have minimal knowledge on car stereo systems so please go easy on me

base system is garbage and i'm looking for something a little nicer whilst on a low budget. With my scarce knowledge i've picked out these things:

Amazon.com: Pyramid TW44 1-Inch Tweeter: Car Electronics

Are these okay choices? What am i missing? Do I need a subwoofer in the trunk to get descent bass?

I would like a system that could play something like led zeppelin clearly, as well as be able to put out some bass during rap songs

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE I REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP

Rad_Slinger 01-26-2013 09:48 AM

Please don't replace your stock system with those garbage speakers. They will most likely sound worse and will most likely blow within a few weeks. Then you'll be out like a hundred bucks.

Save your money and get decent speakers down the road if you still want better sound.

nkamsheh1 01-26-2013 12:58 PM

Well I can probably spend up to $500/$600 for now and i'm wondering what is the best setup for the money that a beginner could learn to install. Any ideas?

Rad_Slinger 01-26-2013 01:05 PM

Take it to a stereo shop and let the experts handle it. An Infiniti isn't a car a beginner should be "learning" on.

nkamsheh1 01-26-2013 04:15 PM

will $600 even get me anything at a stereo shop?

Rad_Slinger 01-26-2013 04:43 PM

hell if i know. you need to do the research. call around. tallk to people in the shops.

most people on here don't replace their stereo systems. if anything, they just add some extra bass.

you seriously need to check with some of the shops in your area, because you won't know until you do.

gizmo134 01-26-2013 06:37 PM

the G is a very difficult and expensive car to do sound system modifications in. Your best bet will definitely be a shop, it will be tough to do much on that price range though. What exactly is bothering you about the stock system? Your best off fixing the most offending thing for now IMO.

Ron James 01-26-2013 07:15 PM

A good amp and sub would be the minimum mod I would go with. The stock speakers actually sound decent with a good amp driving them. I can't see doing even that for under $1k though. I'd save and wait. You would be wasting your money and be disappointed with the sound you get from going cheap.

blazeplacid 01-27-2013 12:31 AM

Door speaker replacement isn't to bad.
Get a decent set that is within your budget.
Infinity reference or Polk components are the best bet for budget installs.

Head unit replacement is almost impossible in this car.
If you can't get your set up to sound the way you want it to then you would need to add a a sound processor and/or an amp.
Adding a processor is more on the mid to upper end of install skills.

nkamsheh1 01-27-2013 12:38 PM

Thanks for all the input you guys, I tried calling around and $600 in car audio shop wont be able to get me really anything.

I'm looking for some better bass as well as less distortion.

With this, I was looking into replacing door speakers (6.5) with speakers and the rear deck speakers (6x9?)

-Would this setup produce descent bass? (I do not want a trunk sub)
-Would this be a good setup for the $?
-Would I need a new amp to go with these?

I have friends who have replaced/installed speakers so i'm confident that with help and a day in the garage I can get it finished

PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST A STORE AS I'M GOING TO DO IT MYSELF

Thank you all for your patience and assistance

Rad_Slinger 01-27-2013 01:00 PM

-Would this setup produce descent bass? (I do not want a trunk sub)
-Would this be a good setup for the $?
-Would I need a new amp to go with these?
No. You'd probably get decent mid range though. For decent bass, you're probably going to need some sort of trunk sub and amp combination.

No. Save your money.

Most likely. The stock amp is set at a certain impedance as well as the speakers (8 or 16 ohms)...they're "matched". You start throwing 4 ohm speakers in the mix, and the stock amp won't last long. Especially since I'm getting the feeling you probably blast the volume.

If you're going to go against the suggestions in this thread and "learn" on your Infiniti, at least get a wiring diagram for the stereo. That may help, but it sounds like you've already made up your mind.

Good luck

gizmo134 01-27-2013 01:50 PM

If you have the non Bose radio, the amp is actually incorporated into the headunit. Because of that, there's not much you can do to really improve the quality, cause you can't get to the sound before the EQ'ing. Not sure offhand of the stock speaker size for base cars, but no matter what I'll bet money just doing speakers will help so little you probably will barely notice it. The best thing I could think of for that price range is get a line output converter behind the headunit, run RCA's to the trunk, and get a good amp to push the stock speakers. Set it up so that the headunit volume is never over half, because it does some funny things to the sound as you go louder that you can never get away from unless you get a processor. Also, is scrap the rear speakers. Spend your money on the front, thats what you hear most.

gizmo134 01-27-2013 01:52 PM

And no matter what you do, you cannot get much bass out of the door speakers. Nor do you want to, it will make everything sound muddy. If you want bass, you need some sort of subwoofer. Door speakers just aren't good for it

shawnberry45 01-27-2013 02:00 PM

im in the same boat... 2008 non bose g37 coupe.... can anyone suggest good replacement speakers that would work with the factory radio?

gizmo134 01-27-2013 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by shawnberry45 (Post 3580355)
im in the same boat... 2008 non bose g37 coupe.... can anyone suggest good replacement speakers that would work with the factory radio?

Any speaker will work. If you want it to sound better though, speakers aren't the way to do it. I can almost guarantee it will sound worse if you just do speakers