MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Audio, Video & Electronics (https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-video-and-electronics-310/)
-   -   None of my wheel controls for cruise/volume/horn works on my G37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-video-and-electronics/235614-none-of-my-wheel-controls-for-cruise-volume-horn-works-on-my-g37.html)

liljayballer10 05-13-2012 09:40 PM

None of my wheel controls for cruise/volume/horn works on my G37

Hello everyone! I have a 09 g37 coupe and I have a problem: None of my wheel controls for cruise/volume work. My horn doesn't even work, but honks when I lock up the car with the remote. All of this started to happen after I had worked on steering a bit and disconnected the joint and reconnected it thinking nothing of the wheel location. While the steering was disconnected, it got really loose and I kept spinning until heard a cracking popping noise coming from the steering wheel. It used to have a stopping point where you can't spin it anymore, but now after I heard the cracking pop, it won't stop. REMEMBER: THIS HAPPENED AFTER I UNMOUNTED AND DISCONNECT MY STEERING WHEEL ON THE BUTTON WHERE THE BRAKE PEDAL IS UP THERE. I thought everything was okay until I put everything back together and cranked the car and found out that none of my wheel controls for cruise/volume/horn work. Please help. Now I don't know what it is that I broke. I have not checked the relays or fuses. And my question is...what broke? . Anybody have any ideas of what I could have broken, or how to get this problem fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated

TwoThree 05-13-2012 10:11 PM

I would think you pulled a wire or harness/plug from somewhere on the re-install. Maybe someone around here has had a similar experience, but I would think your quickest solution would to be to pull it apart again and look for anything that may be broken or if you cut any wires or broke any harnesses and go from there.

liljayballer10 05-13-2012 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by TwoThree (Post 3446181)
I would think you pulled a wire or harness/plug from somewhere on the re-install. Maybe someone around here has had a similar experience, but I would think your quickest solution would to be to pull it apart again and look for anything that may be broken or if you cut any wires or broke any harnesses and go from there.

I really appreciate your quick reply. I think that what happen.... but I have no clue how to get to the harness/plug to check for broken wires. Would I have to take the steering airbag out to get to it?

Dark Sarcasm 05-13-2012 10:45 PM

you broke a part called the clock spring. Its a plastic container that is filled with coiled wires. It allows the electrical connections to stay connected while the steering wheel spins. Unfortunatly they are only designed to spin as much as needed for lock to lock with the steering wheel.

liljayballer10 05-13-2012 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Sarcasm (Post 3446195)
you broke a part called the clock spring. Its a plastic container that is filled with coiled wires. It allows the electrical connections to stay connected while the steering wheel spins. Unfortunatly they are only designed to spin as much as needed for lock to lock with the steering wheel.

Is that fixable? Can it be replaced? What would be the best thing to do?

Dark Sarcasm 05-13-2012 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by liljayballer10 (Post 3446201)
Is that fixable? Can it be replaced? What would be the best thing to do?

you will have to replace it. I'm not sure how its done, but I think the steering wheel has to come off.

liljayballer10 05-13-2012 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Sarcasm (Post 3446205)
you will have to replace it. I'm not sure how its done, but I think the steering wheel has to come off.

I'm going to try to replace it but first does anyone know where I can find pictures/tutorial/instruction/guides on how to take the clockspring out so I can make sure there is no broken wires or unplug? From there, I can also test it out with multimedia for continuity if the wire is not broken.......

unknowndesi 05-14-2012 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 190682

liljayballer10 05-14-2012 10:15 AM

Beside the fuse box that's by the battery underneath the hood, is there any other fuse box located elsewhere?

DashKid 05-14-2012 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by liljayballer10 (Post 3446426)
Beside the fuse box that's by the battery underneath the hood, is there any other fuse box located elsewhere?

Yes underneath the steering wheel to the left of the wall. There is a small cap you can open

liljayballer10 05-14-2012 07:42 PM

I found out the problem... Thank you so much everyone! I had to take the whole clockspring apart and the wire inside of it was cut in half. I was so shock because I didn't even put that much pressure when I was turning the steering wheel. Anyways to make a long story short, I went to the closest Infiniti dealer, but I think they gave me a clockspring with a different part number on it, which is B554-1EA0A. My old part number is 47945-JK00A-P1. Does anyone know the differences?

1NEETO 05-15-2012 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by liljayballer10 (Post 3447019)
I found out the problem... Thank you so much everyone! I had to take the whole clockspring apart and the wire inside of it was cut in half. I was so shock because I didn't even put that much pressure when I was turning the steering wheel. Anyways to make a long story short, I went to the closest Infiniti dealer, but I think they gave me a clockspring with a different part number on it, which is B554-1EA0A. My old part number is 47945-JK00A-P1. Does anyone know the differences?

I bet one has Bluetooth and the other doesn't. Return it and get the right part!

desikillaz88 10-29-2012 04:15 AM

i just had the exact same issue as the OP, how much did the part cost you?

That08g37guy 02-08-2019 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Sarcasm (Post 3446195)

how can i fix or put the coils back in place or to their original state

adrianbf 07-25-2021 06:09 PM

I took my steering wheel apart to look for the part number but I have no idea where to look. Where on the clockspring is the part number??