Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

cig lighter in center console power off or always on when engine is turned off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 04:00 AM
kkokko
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cig lighter in center console power off or always on when engine is turned off?

Anyone know if cig lighter in center console power off or always on when engine is turned off?

Just wondering because I bought a ipad2 cig -> usb charger and it has a little LED on there that is on 24/7 when powered
Old 02-22-2012, 04:36 AM
XtatiC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when i plug my phone charger in there, my phone won't charge if the car is off.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:21 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
I have my radar detector plugged in there, nd it's only on when the car is running or acc (car on but not running) is on.

The center console port (under armrest) stays on all the time though.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:34 AM
chlutz214
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
my center console doesnt stay on all the time n i gotta wait till spring to get in and change that cuz its too damn cold to do it now...

DO NOT CONNECT THE WIRES TO THE BATTERY UNTIL EVERYTHING ELSE IS DONE, just leave them next to the battery, you dont want to get electrocuted or start making sparks if the wires touch...

if you want to convert it to always powered then you need to run 2 wires (preferably 0 gauge, because it will allow most power when you need it, like if your ever going to use a power inverter in that port you will probably want the 0 gauge, but if your not gonna take too much power then a lower gauge will still work fine.) directly from the battery through the rubber grommet (you will have to use a razor to cut a line in the grommet to stick the wires through, be careful not to cut any wires, and seal it with silicone when your done running the wires) that leads into the glovebox its located behind the battery, and run it through the passenger foot area into the center console. open up the center console (there are videos of people showing you how to properly do this), take off the plug that currently connects to the lighter, and solder on the new wires you ran from the battery (directly to the cig lighter, dont be an idiot and try to take the wires off the plug and replace then...) make sure you have the + and - connected to the proper leads on the lighter. id suggest that you use electrical tape to tape off the original plug just for extra safety. then close up the console, and connect your wires to the battery and test it out.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chlutz214
my center console doesnt stay on all the time n i gotta wait till spring to get in and change that cuz its too damn cold to do it now...

DO NOT CONNECT THE WIRES TO THE BATTERY UNTIL EVERYTHING ELSE IS DONE, just leave them next to the battery, you dont want to get electrocuted or start making sparks if the wires touch...

if you want to convert it to always powered then you need to run 2 wires (preferably 0 gauge, because it will allow most power when you need it, like if your ever going to use a power inverter in that port you will probably want the 0 gauge, but if your not gonna take too much power then a lower gauge will still work fine.) directly from the battery through the rubber grommet (you will have to use a razor to cut a line in the grommet to stick the wires through, be careful not to cut any wires, and seal it with silicone when your done running the wires) that leads into the glovebox its located behind the battery, and run it through the passenger foot area into the center console. open up the center console (there are videos of people showing you how to properly do this), take off the plug that currently connects to the lighter, and solder on the new wires you ran from the battery (directly to the cig lighter, dont be an idiot and try to take the wires off the plug and replace then...) make sure you have the + and - connected to the proper leads on the lighter. id suggest that you use electrical tape to tape off the original plug just for extra safety. then close up the console, and connect your wires to the battery and test it out.
IMHO 0 gauge is a bit extreme...
Old 02-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Spydertech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chlutz214

I know I'm new here, but I feel a need to post about this type of modification.
First - 0 gauge is way too much for the power port in the center console. Anything drawing enough amperage to need 0 gauge wiring will NOT be using a lighter type power plug.
Second - Wiring any circuit DIRECTLY to the battery with out some kind of fuse or breaker is just asking for trouble. A simple pinch of the wire or chaffing of the insulation and you can easily cause a fire or severe battery damage! Ever see what happens when you touch the positive terminal car battery to a ground?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Spydertech
I know I'm new here, but I feel a need to post about this type of modification.
First - 0 gauge is way too much for the power port in the center console. Anything drawing enough amperage to need 0 gauge wiring will NOT be using a lighter type power plug.
Second - Wiring any circuit DIRECTLY to the battery with out some kind of fuse or breaker is just asking for trouble. A simple pinch of the wire or chaffing of the insulation and you can easily cause a fire or severe battery damage! Ever see what happens when you touch the positive terminal car battery to a ground?

Yes at least put an in line fuse or fusable link at the battery.