Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help Non-navigation streaming audio (I know...)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:53 PM
murf72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isfm21

There is another one that the manufacturer suggest the compatibility. It should be installed inside the vehicle.

Pac-Audio.com Product Search | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

ISFM21
Old 07-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Zaph47

Here's a work around for non-jailbroken phones. Plug in the iPhone and let the car identify it. Pick a song via the dash's controls. Then hit pause using the dash's controls. The song should be show as paused on the screen. Go back to your iPhone, close the Music app, open Pandora, YouTube, Rdio, Spotify, whatever, and hit play! Works like a charm.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:46 PM
archon810

Thanks to everyone in this thread - it's the most useful series of hacks on the subject. I just got a 2012 G37 Journey and was shocked to find no aux-in for my Android phone to work with. USB-in doesn't carry audio - it's just used for storage mounting - I have no idea what Infiniti was thinking removing 3.5mm altogether.

After considering all the options, I went to a local trusty car place (Speedzone in San Francisco if anyone lives in the area) and had them lead the wire from the XM receiver back to the center console and use the RCA cutouts to insert the RCA jacks. So now I have the XM0 hack and can play music and stream radio on my Android phone just fine.

The volume is indeed much lower than the radio, so I'm curious if any of you have installed those pre-amps or amps and could comment on the quality of sound. The shop told me those would likely introduce interference, which is something I definitely want to avoid. Appreciate any comments in advance.

Btw, I asked them about disconnecting XM altogether in hopes of getting higher volumes, but they said when they did that, the unit was no longer able to switch itself to XM0, so that option was out.

Another thing I need to point out is that one of the dealerships' service departments who I contacted to see if there are any other options, such as even upgrading to a nav-enabled version of the head unit, said that just last week they received word from an authorized dealer (which wouldn't void the warranty) offering an option to upgrade to nav without swapping anything out. I am waiting on more details on that but I'm still not sure if that comes with A2DP or not.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:21 PM
shifter2600

Originally Posted by archon810
Thanks to everyone in this thread - it's the most useful series of hacks on the subject. I just got a 2012 G37 Journey and was shocked to find no aux-in for my Android phone to work with. USB-in doesn't carry audio - it's just used for storage mounting - I have no idea what Infiniti was thinking removing 3.5mm altogether.

After considering all the options, I went to a local trusty car place (Speedzone in San Francisco if anyone lives in the area) and had them lead the wire from the XM receiver back to the center console and use the RCA cutouts to insert the RCA jacks. So now I have the XM0 hack and can play music and stream radio on my Android phone just fine.

The volume is indeed much lower than the radio, so I'm curious if any of you have installed those pre-amps or amps and could comment on the quality of sound. The shop told me those would likely introduce interference, which is something I definitely want to avoid. Appreciate any comments in advance.

Btw, I asked them about disconnecting XM altogether in hopes of getting higher volumes, but they said when they did that, the unit was no longer able to switch itself to XM0, so that option was out.

Another thing I need to point out is that one of the dealerships' service departments who I contacted to see if there are any other options, such as even upgrading to a nav-enabled version of the head unit, said that just last week they received word from an authorized dealer (which wouldn't void the warranty) offering an option to upgrade to nav without swapping anything out. I am waiting on more details on that but I'm still not sure if that comes with A2DP or not.
Here is the headphone amp I use and it works great to get to a higher volumn using the XM patch through.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:14 PM
archon810

Originally Posted by shifter2600
Here is the headphone amp I use and it works great to get to a higher volumn using the XM patch through.
I saw that earlier but can you comment on whether you lose any sound quality and introduce distortion? How much louder is it - is it closer to the FM volume, which is currently MUCH louder? Does it need power?

Edit: Found it here:
Amazon Amazon

Thanks.

Last edited by archon810; 07-24-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:21 PM
archon810

Originally Posted by briandelshasta
You are correct, that is the cause of the volume issue. Even on channel 0 your device signal has to contend with the dead air xm signal. I experienced the same issue. Once I cut the wires from the xm tuner alltogether the volume increased and the sound cleaned up quite a bit.

Not sure yet. I spoke with a stereo installer and he thinks it should continue to work after the trial expires. I tend to agree. I'll post back in 90 days if it self destructs...
I saw your response saying that you cut the XM wire and made the sound louder, but can you comment on whether this still allows you to switch to XM0? My installer said they couldn't switch XM channels after disconnecting the wires.

Were they wrong? If so, how much louder and clearer does it get? The level of FM?
Old 07-24-2012, 05:02 PM
archon810

Originally Posted by aerospaced
I found a headphone amp that helps with the volume issue. Just plugged it in-line with my aux input. The best solution is to switch out the XM audio input when using aux in. I think this will solve the root cause of the volume issue. I'm still working on a method to do this without having to cut any factory wires.

Amazon.com: FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier: Electronics
I found an (updated?) FiiO E6 here:
Amazon.com: Fiio E6 Headphone Amplifier - E6: Electronics Amazon.com: Fiio E6 Headphone Amplifier - E6: Electronics
. I like this option over the Boostaroo because it can be charged with microUSB. Have you noticed any distortion from this? Any luck in disconnecting XM and getting more volume that way, aerospaced?
Old 07-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Skeptic74

Originally Posted by Zaph47
Best thing to do is jailbreak your phone then download the "NoAccessorySplash" plug-in. It allows you to close the iPod app (once you've paused the music) and use the phone as usual. I can play Pandora or any other audio-related app just fine through the dock connector. Of course, the display screen just shows whatever was last playing....but it works!
Actually I simply pause any song, and switch to any other app to play streaming audio. No jailbreak necessary.
Cheers.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:53 AM
yoshhhhh
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dled foxfi app on my droid charge and it created a free wifi hot spot on my phone. So i stream pandora off my ipod touch. I have unlimited plan grandfathered into my plan so i dont worry about charges.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Buckone

Hi archon810,
I am writing to ask you how the modification of running an aux in wire to your G37 is working out.
I would like to do the same thing to my car.
I have a 2011 G37 without nav.
I also have a Samsung Galaxy S2 Android phone.
I like to use the phone to listen to streaming internet radio such as Tunein Radio and Pandora.
I have been looking for a way to play the phone through my car's audio system.
I found this thread and it seems that you and some others have found a solution by running a wire to the console from the XM unit.
I went to a local car audio specialty shop and showed them the forum information on this.
They had not done this type of project, but after reviewing the material, they did not think that it would be too tough.
The only thing is that they won't give me any guarantee or warranty. So, before undertaking the project, I wanted to check in with you and find out about your experience and how it is working out for you.
Any advice that you can give on this would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know whether or not I need to add a booster amp to the installation. Is the sound loud enough and clear enough if I don't add the booster amp?
Also. do you know how your installer tied the wires in? Are they secure?
The audio shop that I went to quoted me a price of $125 for the labor plus the cost of parts. Does that sound about right for this project?
Thanks for responding with any information on this that you can.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:33 PM
archon810

Hi Buckone,

The local shop charged me $90 for labor (their rate of 1.5 hours) plus about $15 for parts, so $125 sounds relatively fair depending on their labor rate. They've also never done something like this before, but having looked at my printouts of this thread said it wouldn't be too hard to split the signal from XM. And it really wasn't.

Now, the audio quality is fine, but the volume is much lower than XM itself ans especially FM. At the very max volume, it's pretty loud, but I could go even louder, especially with windows down. Overall, I'm satisfied though, but curse every day I didn't go for the navi version with BT audio and the fact that the dealer never told me 3.5mm AUX didn't exist.

I came back to the shop, and having read that cutting the XM audio wire would improve volume, I had them do that. It took about 45 minutes to figure out what to cut and hook things back up, and in the end there was 0 benefit to doing so. I was very bummed. I then had them re-crimp the XM wire back up, and now feel like my car went through a bunch of unnecessary surgery.

I don't regret making the original mod though - they did it clean and even wired the 3 RCA jacks in case I want to do video (I won't) in the future. There were 3 cutouts for the ports in the center console, so the install looks stock.

I'm not sure how they tied the wires in, but if there's ever a problem, I'll just go back there and have them fix it.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:37 AM
SpcSubby

@Shifter, @KaptainObvious, @aerospaced

Thank you guys for your contribution to this thread!

I have a '10 G37 Sedan, Non nav and non Bose, and like many other was quite disappointed with lack of audio streaming but this thread gave me hope.

From Amazon I purchased
FIIO E6 Headphone adapter FIIO E6 Headphone adapter
Tunelink for iPhone Tunelink for iPhone
(even though I use a Galaxy Nexus), and
Sanoxy 3.5mm Stereo extension cable 25' Sanoxy 3.5mm Stereo extension cable 25'
. All those were previously suggested in earlier posts and they were great suggestions.

I decided to wire the headphone cable in back at the XM tuner itself as after looking at the pictures I felt it would be easier / quicker and after doing the install I think I was probably right. I took pictures of most of the process that I will post later. As others mentioned the volume level is indeed low without the amp, and the E6 brings up back almost in line with the levels of when playing music from a USB drive.

The Tunelink / E6 combo is great because they are both small and the Tunelink has the USB power for the E6 and they fit well in the center console. I love that I can have my Galaxy nexus connected to my car for phone calls and the Tunelink for audio streaming at the same time and its working and sounding GREAT!

The only thing better would be if there was an iSimple adapter for my year / model so that I could have used the steering controls to skip / navigate songs and the install would have been even easier. So thanks again to everyone who has helped and I will post up pics maybe tomorrow
Old 08-08-2012, 12:50 PM
archon810

Originally Posted by SpcSubby
@Shifter, @KaptainObvious, @aerospaced

Thank you guys for your contribution to this thread!

I have a '10 G37 Sedan, Non nav and non Bose, and like many other was quite disappointed with lack of audio streaming but this thread gave me hope.

From Amazon I purchased FIIO E6 Headphone adapter, Tunelink for iPhone (even though I use a Galaxy Nexus), and Sanoxy 3.5mm Stereo extension cable 25'. All those were previously suggested in earlier posts and they were great suggestions.

I decided to wire the headphone cable in back at the XM tuner itself as after looking at the pictures I felt it would be easier / quicker and after doing the install I think I was probably right. I took pictures of most of the process that I will post later. As others mentioned the volume level is indeed low without the amp, and the E6 brings up back almost in line with the levels of when playing music from a USB drive.

The Tunelink / E6 combo is great because they are both small and the Tunelink has the USB power for the E6 and they fit well in the center console. I love that I can have my Galaxy nexus connected to my car for phone calls and the Tunelink for audio streaming at the same time and its working and sounding GREAT!

The only thing better would be if there was an iSimple adapter for my year / model so that I could have used the steering controls to skip / navigate songs and the install would have been even easier. So thanks again to everyone who has helped and I will post up pics maybe tomorrow
Wait, why did you get the Tunelink? Just for BT input and 3.5mm output? There are $20 dongles that do the same thing in that case, or am I missing something? You're not using it for the FM modulator, right (that'd defeat the purpose of the XM mod)?
Old 08-09-2012, 12:31 PM
SpcSubby

I choose the Tunelink over something like the Griffin BlueTrip due to the better quality and car noise reduction. Correct, I am not using its fm transmitting feature.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:55 PM
archon810

Originally Posted by SpcSubby
I choose the Tunelink over something like the Griffin BlueTrip due to the better quality and car noise reduction. Correct, I am not using its fm transmitting feature.
I see. I would think there are cheaper alternatives out there just to get BT to 3.5mm, but if it works for you, sure thing.

The more important and burning question I have is about the E6.
  1. Do you notice any interference it adds at all, any decrease in quality?
  2. I haven't played music from a drive, but how does the volume increase compare to playing FM (which is super loud)? How about XM? After our mod, XM is not nearly as loud as FM (was it ever, I don't know anymore?), but still quite a bit louder than the analog AUX input.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Help Non-navigation streaming audio (I know...)