Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Driving east yet navi says west?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:54 PM
SindhiStyle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driving east yet navi says west?!?

Hey guys!

Has anyone had a problem with their navigation? Lately my navi will say that I am traveling west even when I am actually traveling east. It never messes up with North and South, just east as west. I figured I will ask the dealer next time I take it in for an oil change...but just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem?

Thanks in advance.

edit: Just to clarify, this is when a destination has not been input. This is with the little compass with the red line. It will be pointing west, while in reality I will be driving east and vice versa.

Last edited by SindhiStyle; 01-23-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:03 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
If it keeps 're-calculating', make sure you have Allstate.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:07 AM
llee916

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You sure you have your directions right? Maybe your navi is telling the truth. Lol. Jk.

I'd take it to your dealer and get it resolved. Idk of anything you can do to correct this problem by yourself.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 AM
SindhiStyle

Originally Posted by llee916
You sure you have your directions right? Maybe your navi is telling the truth. Lol. Jk.

I'd take it to your dealer and get it resolved. Idk of anything you can do to correct this problem by yourself.

You dont even know how many times I have second guessed myself. I even asked everyone in the car on several occasions to make sure my sense of direction wasnt off. LOL

I figured I had to take it to the dealer to get it fixed, but was just wondering if anyone else has had an issue like this.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2011, 12:39 PM
heyitsalex
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The red arrow refers to the North position and NOT the direction in which you are headed. Its a poor design in my opinion but there's nothing wrong with your compass. You just have to look at where the red arrow is and refer to the opposite direction. Except for N-S obviously.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:48 PM
SindhiStyle

Originally Posted by heyitsalex
The red arrow refers to the North position and NOT the direction in which you are headed. Its a poor design in my opinion but there's nothing wrong with your compass. You just have to look at where the red arrow is and refer to the opposite direction. Except for N-S obviously.

Hope this helps!

alright well I am going to feel really stupid if I have been reading the compass wrong, but I thought when the red arrow is up, then you are traveling north, when its down you are traveling south, and when its to the left you are traveling west and when its to the right you are traveling east.

What do you mean the opposite? There are two settings for the compass...one where north is always up, and one that is a normal compass. Am I still not reading the compass right? LOL
Old 01-24-2011, 12:50 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
trust me, tons of people miss the compass in teh mirror. I know I miss it
Old 01-24-2011, 12:51 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by SindhiStyle
alright well I am going to feel really stupid if I have been reading the compass wrong, but I thought when the red arrow is up, then you are traveling north, when its down you are traveling south, and when its to the left you are traveling west and when its to the right you are traveling east.

What do you mean the opposite? There are two settings for the compass...one where north is always up, and one that is a normal compass. Am I still not reading the compass right? LOL
Yes, every navigation system I've ever seen has one setting where north is always up on the map and another where the vehicle icon always faces ahead, but the direction arrow moves around and always points to north.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:52 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The compass in the Nav screen is always pointing North; pretty useless if you ask me since you have to figure out the other 3 directions manually.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:05 PM
G37NC

I liked the digital compass my '05 G had on the dash. It was in a separate little housing all by itself. I don't like the one built into the Nav screen.

But I think if the OP's Nav is confusing East & West, time to take it to the dealer.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:11 PM
MSCA
Banned

East is that-a-way ----->

West is this-a-way <-----
Old 01-24-2011, 01:30 PM
SindhiStyle

Originally Posted by MSCA
East is that-a-way ----->

West is this-a-way <-----

LOL

I just went to pickup lunch and made sure I was reading it correctly. The east and west directions are still the opposite of what it should be. I will have to get the dealer to take a look at it.

In the end, it looks like this is a unique problem to my vehicle. I will let you guys know what the dealer says.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Coprolite

Red to the left would mean East.

I keep mine in North always up. Less mental processing...
Old 01-26-2011, 05:14 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

You're wrong.

Red Up = North
Red Down = South
Red Left = East
Red Right = West

Originally Posted by Coprolite
+1
Old 01-26-2011, 05:14 PM
SindhiStyle

Originally Posted by Coprolite

I keep mine in North always up. Less mental processing...

Red to the left would be EAST?!?! I thought the red line was the direction you were traveling. Then how come when I am traveling NORTH, the red line is UP and when traveling south, the red line is DOWN.

That doesnt seem to make sense...

Quick Reply: Driving east yet navi says west?!?