MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Audio, Video & Electronics (https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-video-and-electronics-310/)
-   -   2010 g37xs sedan replace speakers only (https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-video-and-electronics/209248-2010-g37xs-sedan-replace-speakers-only.html)

peshs3 06-08-2010 03:23 PM

2010 g37xs sedan replace speakers only

I know there has been discussions on this before but not for 2010 sedans i want to replace my bose speakers and keep the amps is this possible?? Focal sells 3 seprates with 10 inch subs but what are the specs for stock speakers and what do the stock amps put out????

gugarci 06-08-2010 07:14 PM

I remember reading some place in you have the Bose system you will need 2ohm speakers to work with the current amps. But I could be wrong.

Hayabusa02 06-09-2010 07:15 AM

Those Focal K2's are awesome speakers. If you do put them in...let me know

d999 06-18-2010 07:50 PM

I replaced just the speakers

With the Focal ones. Have to turn up the volume a bit but sounds waaaaayyyyy better. Thinking about replacing the amp next

1fastbob 06-18-2010 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by d999 (Post 2925455)
With the Focal ones. Have to turn up the volume a bit but sounds waaaaayyyyy better. Thinking about replacing the amp next

The Focals probably have a higher impedence (4 ohms) and that causes you to have to turn up the volume more. It won't hurt a thing, just don't do the reverse and use a 2 ohm speaker in place of a 4 ohm.
You can always be safe in replacing a speaker with one with more ohms.

Which Focals did you use, where did you get them and if you don't mind me asking....what did you pay for them? For me the weakness of the G37 is the awful sound system. Bose BLOWS!

Bob

redfoster 06-18-2010 11:42 PM

Downside is that by not replacing the amp you still have the Bose EQing which will keep the sound flat.

15951 06-19-2010 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by redfoster (Post 2925538)
Downside is that by not replacing the amp you still have the Bose EQing which will keep the sound flat.

Exactly. Not only that, but I regularly listen to my radio at around 1/2 volume. If half the wattage is cut, most speakers that have high clarity aren't going to receive enough wattage to really sing anyway.

I wouldn't even consider doing this without replacing the amp. It's like putting worn out tires on new wheels.

DallasOne 06-19-2010 12:48 PM

There is a saying....no highs, no lows, must be Bose. I was disappointed with the sound system too. I replaced my front and rear door speakers to high end Boston Acoustic. It required a 'Cleansweep" device" which cut the signal from the factory amp and rerouted to a new amp. It sounds awesome!!!!! I can actually adjust bass and treble settings now and hear a difference!! I still have the Bose speakers in my garage and they look really cheap. I tend to keep cars for years so upgrading a sound system is a no brainer for me. It wasn't cheap but it was worth every penny.

hufington 06-19-2010 04:30 PM

The Bose system is a disappointment. I leased the car, and I am debating if it is worth changing the speakers?

gundam83 06-19-2010 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by DallasOne (Post 2925638)
There is a saying....no highs, no lows, must be Bose. I was disappointed with the sound system too. I replaced my front and rear door speakers to high end Boston Acoustic. It required a 'Cleansweep" device" which cut the signal from the factory amp and rerouted to a new amp. It sounds awesome!!!!! I can actually adjust bass and treble settings now and hear a difference!! I still have the Bose speakers in my garage and they look really cheap. I tend to keep cars for years so upgrading a sound system is a no brainer for me. It wasn't cheap but it was worth every penny.

Can you tell us exactly which products you purchased?

ExtraCrispy 06-19-2010 07:17 PM

How much would this cost and can anyone recommend an installer in Bay area who will do this? I'd like to replace speakers+amps.

PascalT 06-19-2010 10:32 PM

^ ditto but in Montreal :)

DallasOne 06-20-2010 11:36 AM

These are the items I purchased in upgrading my sound system in a 2010 G37 Sedan w Premium Package/Nav with links:

JL CL441 DSP Cleansweep w CL-SSI
JL Audio CleanSweep - OEM Interface Car Audio

JL XD400/4 Amp
JL Audio XD400/4 Amplifiers - Car Audio Amps & Amplifiers

Boston Acoustic Pro Series Speakers
Boston Acoustics - Car Audio - Products

I still have the factory amp controlling the dash center speaker and open air subwoofer but 90% of the power is going to the new amp and speakers.

joselitopr 06-20-2010 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by DallasOne (Post 2925940)
These are the items I purchased in upgrading my sound system in a 2010 G37 Sedan w Premium Package/Nav with links:

JL CL441 DSP Cleansweep w CL-SSI
JL Audio CleanSweep - OEM Interface Car Audio

JL XD400/4 Amp
JL Audio XD400/4 Amplifiers - Car Audio Amps & Amplifiers

Boston Acoustic Pro Series Speakers
Boston Acoustics - Car Audio - Products

I still have the factory amp controlling the dash center speaker and open air subwoofer but 90% of the power is going to the new amp and speakers.

so what do you did with the sophisticated crossover networks that come with the speaker?

d999 06-20-2010 05:04 PM

not quite. Sounds waaaay better, probably not as good as it could possibly be but much better than before. Will see when I finally get around to having the amp replaced.