Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Are there drop in speaker upgrades to stock system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Gopher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there drop in speaker upgrades to stock system?

I just picked up a G37x with stock sound and am curious if there are any drop in speaker upgrades for it. I'm **** about my 2 channel audio at home and have a very expensive (more then my car) high end rig, but for the car I don't care as much as long as it isn't distorting horribly.

I actually think the passenger side mid-bass drive may be blown... just picked up the car yesterday and will get it checked out.

Crutchfield hasn't 'fully researched this car' so there are no automated suggestions there...

Any ideas? Suggestions? Dimensions?
Old 11-16-2011, 01:52 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Honestly, I think you should definitely upgrade via the dealer to the premium package.
I know it's a rip off, but nothing stands better in the long run from Infiniti.

aftermarkets are good but , i used fall in same trap by upgrading my old car, it turns out after few years the sound starts distorting . and it starts loose.

hope this helps gl
Old 11-16-2011, 02:22 PM
avsBuddy
Registered Member

Make sure to report back if your midbass was indeed blown. I'm curious if it's possible for stock speakers to be blown at the delivery time.

I'm also an audiophile, but have lower standards for the car audio, yet I do want reasonably good sound. No boomy subs for me, thank you very much. I find Infiniti Studio On Wheels to be really nice for a car system. I messed with installing upgraded aftermarket system on my previous car, nice Focal component speakers with quality crossover, musical Amp from Eclipse - but honestly it was more of a pain for the end result. That's why I swore that I wanted a premium stock system that I wouldn't have to mess with. Go for premium at dealer, if you can.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:43 PM
bocaytomas

There are no drop in for our system as our door speakers are 10 inches. most people just put a backing plate and go for a 6*9 speaker, the mid and tweeter are standard sizes i believe so those are more readily available. I like the sound of our system, I do have the premium so I cant really complain, however i did add a 400 watt sub in the trunk for House and Dubstep
Old 11-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Racer_X

Originally Posted by avsBuddy
Make sure to report back if your midbass was indeed blown. I'm curious if it's possible for stock speakers to be blown at the delivery time.

I'm also an audiophile, but have lower standards for the car audio, yet I do want reasonably good sound. No boomy subs for me, thank you very much. I find Infiniti Studio On Wheels to be really nice for a car system. I messed with installing upgraded aftermarket system on my previous car, nice Focal component speakers with quality crossover, musical Amp from Eclipse - but honestly it was more of a pain for the end result. That's why I swore that I wanted a premium stock system that I wouldn't have to mess with. Go for premium at dealer, if you can.
I'm not an "audiophile" per say (although my friends/fam think so). I consider myself an audio/video enthusiast and am also a member of AVS.

I find it hilarious when people put a ****-ton of money into a system and listen to .mp3's when the car isn't moving. Good times.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:01 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Nothing beats 320kb mp3's!!!

Actually a headunit that supports flac or ape would be ideal, as that is about as close to real redbook as we can get while still having reduced file size.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:49 PM
blackhawksfan81

I can't stand the limitations of the factory settings.

<------Base----->
<-----Treble---->

That's all we get?!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:03 PM
Racer_X

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Nothing beats 320kb mp3's!!!

Actually a headunit that supports flac or ape would be ideal, as that is about as close to real redbook as we can get while still having reduced file size.
FLAC support would be awesome, but until then I use apple's lossless codec via ipod>line out to HU.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Racer_X

Originally Posted by blackhawksfan81
I can't stand the limitations of the factory settings.

<------Base----->
<-----Treble---->

That's all we get?!
You forgot fade
Old 11-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Gopher

Thanks for chiming in, guys. If it turns out the speaker is just blown (which it has to be the way its farting on low bass, even at very low listening volume) I'll let the dealer swap it under warranty and probably just accept the sound quality. Its 'meh' and thats fine for most driving...

I spend about three hours every night in front of my stereo at home, so thats obviously my 'go to' when I want to be transported to the music. That and I don't need another rig to build/tweak/obsess over.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:25 PM
dirtymaf

The stock speaker setup is actually pretty good. As someone who worked at Bose a long time ago my opinion is that you're not missing much, with the exception of the min-sub that would have been installed in the rear deck. I noticed that the system doesn't sound great with XM, but that is more of a dynamic range issue on XM than the sound system. Throw in a CD or hook up an ipod and there is a huge improvement.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:49 PM
blackhawksfan81

Originally Posted by Gopher
Thanks for chiming in, guys. If it turns out the speaker is just blown (which it has to be the way its farting on low bass, even at very low listening volume) I'll let the dealer swap it under warranty and probably just accept the sound quality. Its 'meh' and thats fine for most driving...

I spend about three hours every night in front of my stereo at home, so thats obviously my 'go to' when I want to be transported to the music. That and I don't need another rig to build/tweak/obsess over.
So what do you usually listen to?
Old 11-17-2011, 12:26 AM
Gopher

Originally Posted by blackhawksfan81
So what do you usually listen to?
Music or gear?

I'm pretty much all over the map with music--Listened to Jill Scott, Iron & Wine, Claire Marten and The Deers tonight. Hows that for a mixed bag?

Gear wise is probably going to be unknown to most, but it consists of:

Zu Soul Superfly
Decware Torii mk3
Audion Premier w/ Phono
Kuzma Stogi s/ Stabi S
SAE 1000E & 1000LT
Bolder Modded Squeezebox Touch & Bolder PSU w/ Bybee Music Rails
Bolder Modded Eastern Electric Minimax DAC
APC S-15 Conditioner
Bybee Purifier conditioner
Wywires cabling throughout, except on amp which has Sablon Audio uber Robusto (hybrid between Robusto & Grand Corona).

Miscellaneous Gik & Vimac treatments along with nos tubes and tweaks I'm likely omitting.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:05 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
What kind of systems do the non-bose equipped cars have?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:13 AM
Racer_X

Originally Posted by Gopher
Music or gear?

I'm pretty much all over the map with music--Listened to Jill Scott, Iron & Wine, Claire Marten and The Deers tonight. Hows that for a mixed bag?

Gear wise is probably going to be unknown to most, but it consists of:

Zu Soul Superfly
Decware Torii mk3
Audion Premier w/ Phono
Kuzma Stogi s/ Stabi S
SAE 1000E & 1000LT
Bolder Modded Squeezebox Touch & Bolder PSU w/ Bybee Music Rails
Bolder Modded Eastern Electric Minimax DAC
APC S-15 Conditioner
Bybee Purifier conditioner
Wywires cabling throughout, except on amp which has Sablon Audio uber Robusto (hybrid between Robusto & Grand Corona).

Miscellaneous Gik & Vimac treatments along with nos tubes and tweaks I'm likely omitting.

Quick Reply: Are there drop in speaker upgrades to stock system?