Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Nav Traffic alerts

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 02:34 AM
Radon001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav Traffic alerts

New to this forum, got a 2011 G37 sedan back in 12/10. I've tried searching the web and this site but can't find the answer. I thought the navi is suppose to alert me of congestion on my set route, but since I purchased the car, it had never alerted me of a single congestion or offered to re-route me. I can see traffic condition on the navi screen. I've double checked that traffic announcements are turned on. Am I missing something?
Old 03-09-2011, 03:11 AM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get traffic alerts for things like scheduled construction but i have yet to get one due to an accident. I was stuck on 95 the other morning because the Nav failed to alert me and offer to re-route me around an accident. What makes it worse was when i manually searched for traffic in the area, the accident showed up instantly, yet when i searched for incidents on my current route nothing showed up. But here is some info i got off of Sirius' website regarding NavTraffic:

How accurate is XM NavTraffic data?

Sirius Traffic delivers the best information available from departments of transportation, police and emergency services, traffic sensors and cameras, airborne reports and other sources to your navigation system.

Accurate incident information is dependent on locating, verifying and reporting the incident as soon as the incident occurs. Incident information is especially dependent on various departments of transportation reporting accurate and timely data.

Proper maintenance of traffic sensors and a large number of GPS equipped trucks or probe data points are essential in creating accurate flow information. Many of the traffic sensors and probes have inherent reporting delays up to 20 minutes. We are constantly improving the accuracy of our flow data.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:47 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
You can check the navtraffic site for coverage areas.....some only alert for non incidents.

I can tell you it alerted me to a very long accident backup on the way from VA to CT and redirected me around it so it might just be a coverage issue
Old 03-09-2011, 08:26 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In Canada the service is horrible. The information is days out of date and they only cover a few roads in the city and only from 9 am - 9 pm.

It's funny becuase Google Maps, Bing Maps, and Mapquest offer near real time 24/7 traffic coverage of almost every street in all major Canadian cities. I don't know why XM can't do the same.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:40 AM
carz

the Nav traffic isnt entirely accurate. theres def a time delay.

I got caught in stand still traffic due to a truck that closed up the whole highway.....the nav system didnt pick it up until 15-20 min later. at that point it was too late lol
Old 03-09-2011, 11:52 AM
CaptainObvious
Banned

Just gotta say I'm jealous of the nice clean look your username area has right now, so fresh, so clean. Enjoy it while it last, soon it'll be all messy and busy looking with those stupid and pointless activity, level and points bars.

Welcome to the forum...
Old 03-09-2011, 01:24 PM
burningembers

Mine's never alerted me...ever.

I usually just go to Info -> Traffic, and view it manually.

I do, however, get constant weather alerts of storm warnings in X miles.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Another thing, I think.....I wonder if the nav alert volume is separate from the navigation volume itself? I found when I was driving home I would get (what seemed to be) occasional dropouts of audio from my Bluetooth streaming. It happened around populated areas (guess what, they were all entrances and exits to highways). It took me a few hours of driving to realize that was the nav trying to speak to me, but the volume setting was all the way down. Not sure if traffic alerts are a separate volume, but if they are perhaps you just arent hearing them because they are turned all the way down?
Old 03-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Radon001

Thanks for the quick replies/suggestions. This is what I found out -- I get weather alerts. I live in L.A. and drive on the 10 everyday between Loma Linda/Redlands and Diamond Bar. On the XM website, it does include flow and incident. My friend's 2007 G35 gives him alerts. I had xm resend the activation and still no luck. I have tried setting a route into a freeway that has the red arrows and still no alert from the navi. On one occasion when I accidentally pressed the voice button, I got a verbal traffic congestion alert in xx miles. I was able to reproduce it on that trip until I passed the incident, but can't seem to replicate it now. Maybe I should accidentally hit the voice button more often :-).

Last edited by Radon001; 03-09-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:23 AM
maxfinity

Originally Posted by Radon001
Thanks for the quick replies/suggestions. This is what I found out -- I get weather alerts. I live in L.A. and drive on the 10 everyday between Loma Linda/Redlands and Diamond Bar. On the XM website, it does include flow and incident. My friend's 2007 G35 gives him alerts. I had xm resend the activation and still no luck. I have tried setting a route into a freeway that has the red arrows and still no alert from the navi. On one occasion when I accidentally pressed the voice button, I got a verbal traffic congestion alert in xx miles. I was able to reproduce it on that trip until I passed the incident, but can't seem to replicate it now. Maybe I should accidentally hit the voice button more often :-).
That has happened to me as well. Now i make it a habit to hit the voice button just to check for alerts that weren't announced. I don't know why it does that.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:48 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
XM had the nads to send me a "sign up now, your free trial is almost up" letter.

Yeah... screw that. Totally useless, IMO. I don't listen to dipsh i t stern and I have the alerts turned off. Anything I might hear on "The Boneyard" I can hear on my iPod for free. PASS.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:35 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
^ agreed, although weather and traffic i wouldn't mind having. then again...could just use my phone...-_-
Old 03-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
On my 2010 g37 vert here in chicago, traffic congestion does not ask me to reroute but if there is an accident it will.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
On my many trips to St. Louis MO it has never alerted me to construction, accidents. Weather a few times, but it calls everything a 'warning' which can be bad since many of the alerts were only watches.

In addition, it just gives a title of the alert and not any text about it.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:20 AM
carz

I wish there was a way to order it separately. i dont want the XM channels

Quick Reply: Nav Traffic alerts