Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Ipod Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Moofer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ipod Adapter

My ipod adapter plays my ipod music fine however does not charge my ipod whilst attached which i find odd since it is attached to the charging area..

Is this normal or is there something i can change or do?? maybe a different ipod?
Old 11-16-2009, 02:47 PM
WildcatG

This is normal for newer ipods/iphones (which models listed in link below). I don't know the technical details, but basically older ipods could charge off of a firewire or USB cable. A ton of accessories built use the firewire specifications (including Infiniti's system)

However, the newer ipods/iphones only charge off of the USB specifications.

This adapter is supposed to convert the power so you can charge newer ipods off of the older hookups: Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPhone 3G - Apple Store (U.S.)

I literally just got this in the mail and haven't tried it out yet. Will report back on if it works and if sounds quality and/or controls are affected once I get a chance to actually use it.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreeded with Wildcat.

I have th Scosche...it works well. SOMETIMES, my car thinks the iPod isn't there and it aways works if I unplug the scosche and just plug it right into the cord (so in other words, use the ipod without it charging).
Old 11-17-2009, 11:22 PM
G35Rhino

Originally Posted by Mike S.
Agreeded with Wildcat.

I have th Scosche...it works well. SOMETIMES, my car thinks the iPod isn't there and it aways works if I unplug the scosche and just plug it right into the cord (so in other words, use the ipod without it charging).
Ditto on the Scosche. Works well most of the time but sometimes doesn't recognize the iPod even though it is charging. I usually unplug my iphone and reconnect it and it works fine.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:13 PM
2009Black

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WildcatG
This is normal for newer ipods/iphones (which models listed in link below). I don't know the technical details, but basically older ipods could charge off of a firewire or USB cable. A ton of accessories built use the firewire specifications (including Infiniti's system)

However, the newer ipods/iphones only charge off of the USB specifications.

This adapter is supposed to convert the power so you can charge newer ipods off of the older hookups: Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPhone 3G - Apple Store (U.S.)

I literally just got this in the mail and haven't tried it out yet. Will report back on if it works and if sounds quality and/or controls are affected once I get a chance to actually use it.
What he said. Basically 4th and 5th Gen nanos as well as the 3rd gen Iphone do not charge via firewire aka the Infiniti supplied cable won't work. I bought myself a 2nd gen nano off ebay and it charges just fine.
The following users liked this post:
jco23 (08-23-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 PM
kthies1969

iPod cable conquered!!!!

Originally Posted by Moofer
My ipod adapter plays my ipod music fine however does not charge my ipod whilst attached which i find odd since it is attached to the charging area..

Is this normal or is there something i can change or do?? maybe a different ipod?
I built my own cable that makes any ipod/iphone/ipad, play all the music as intended, but also charges the device while the power to the car is on.

The dealer has informed me that the 2009 and prior did not have the ability to charge the ipod at all. the cable i built addresses this issue.

if you are interested in having me make you a cable, let me know.

Kevin
Old 04-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Kojack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kthies1969
I built my own cable that makes any ipod/iphone/ipad, play all the music as intended, but also charges the device while the power to the car is on.

The dealer has informed me that the 2009 and prior did not have the ability to charge the ipod at all. the cable i built addresses this issue.

Kevin
pm ed ya
Old 04-09-2013, 07:17 AM
jco23

Originally Posted by kthies1969

Kevin
do share please!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:19 PM
jco23

Bump!!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 02:04 PM
perdido34

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2013 G with nav that charges my iPhone 5 just fine. But the nav system will sometimes not recognize the phone if it's connected before I turn on the car. So I let the nav system finish booting up before plugging in the phone, and no problem after that.