Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Outside temperature off

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:12 AM
NYC-G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outside temperature off

I have an '08 G coupe 6spd and just noticed the other day that the outside temperature gauge is off by about 10 degrees. In the past it has always been pretty accurate. does anyone else have this problem, and do you know if the sensor is mounted in a bad spot?
Old 09-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Mike P

When I purchased mine I was told that temp is for the climate control system and it may not read the correct temp. I have noticed that the temp is really off when the car is not moving. Don't quote me but I think the positioning of the sensor is the reason for this. The M has two sensors, one for the climate system and one for the outside temp.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:49 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ not sure what you mean by that. Whoever told you that does not understand the purpose of that sensor and the overall HVAC system.

The external temp sensor is mounted in front of the radiator on the lower middle area. It's a thermistor whose resistance value changes with temperature which then varies the voltage seen by the system processor. It's used by the HVAC system to control the internal temp along with several other sensors (internal ambient temp, inside intake air temp, sunload, and even the engine coolant temp, refrigerant pressure and vehicle speed).

Related to the HVAC system:
AMBIENT TEMPERATURE INPUT PROCESS

The unified meter and A/C amp. includes a processing circuit for the ambient sensor input. However, when the temperature detected by the ambient sensor increases quickly, the processing circuit retards the unified meter and A/C amp. function. It only allows the unified meter and A/C amp. to recognize an ambient temperature increase of 0.33
°C (0.6°F) per 100 seconds.
As an example, consider stopping for a few minutes after high speed driving. Although the actual ambient temperature has not changed, the temperature detected by the ambient sensor will increase. This is because the heat from the engine compartment can radiate to the front bumper area, location of the ambient sensor.

Related to the temp display on the instrument panel:

OUTSIDE TEMP
Control outline
• - The unified meter and A/C amp. receives the ambient sensor signal from the ambient sensor.
• - The unified meter and A/C amp. calculates the ambient temperature according to the ambient sensor signal, and transmits it to the combination meter.
• - The indicated temperature is corrected by the ignition switch signal, the ambient sensor detection temperature, and the vehicle speed signal. It does not increase if the vehicle speed is less than 20 km/h (12 MPH).
Correction process (Ignition switch OFF → ON)
The ambient temperature sensor detection temperature is not displayed in real time if all of the following conditions are fulfilled.
The indicated temperature before the ignition switch OFF is displayed.
• The ignition switch OFF time is less than 3.5 hours
• The ambient temperature sensor detection temperature is higher than the indicated temperature before the ignition switch OFF
Correction process (Ignition switch ON)
Perform the following correction if the ambient sensor detection temperature is higher than the indicated temperature when the vehicle speed is 20 km/h (12 MPH) or more.
• Shorten the update time of the indicated temperature according to the increase of the vehicle speed.
• Increase the indicated temperature by 1°C per 1 minute until it reaches to the ambient temperature detection value when the ambient sensor detection temperature is higher than the indicated temperature at 8°C or more.
NOTE:
The ambient sensor input value that is displayed on DATA MONITOR of CONSULT-III is the value before the correction. It may not match the indicated temperature on the information display.

If the conditions above are met and you still see a significant error in the temperature reading then the most likely reason is the temp sensor may be failing either due to water/corrosion or it's defective. The dealer will be able to test it against the temp/resistance specs.

I've had a lot of experience with this type of sensor in my prior car where it was common for it to fail or the connector would get corroded and affect the resistance of the circuit.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:10 PM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've noticed that mine reads wrong at least for the first few seconds (maybe minutes) then it updates. The car must be moving.

Example:

Car is parked on the 4th level of our garage. Cranked it this morning and the temp guage read 77. By the time I went down 4 levels and hit the street it changed to 71.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:45 PM
Snazz-O

Have had a rapid warmup the last couple of days here in West Texas; into the upper 80's. The sensor reads pretty much a constant 55 degrees but increases about 3-4 degrees while the car is moving around town. Would driving the car at highway speeds "shake" the sensor into reading 86 degrees and not 58??
Old 02-19-2016, 05:38 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
I'd say this is pretty normal until you drive around a bit, if its hot out and you're sitting in traffic I can only assume it will read a lot hotter than normal.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:49 AM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Heat soak from the rad. Terrible Nissan placement.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:05 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
I've noticed this on my 13 as well. It's always off by a good amount. My last Infinit, an FX was eerily spot-on once moving.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:16 PM
ross7778

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine seems to be off by 20 degrees sometimes. It's in the 70's outside and even after driving for 30 min it shows 90. I'm assuming the sensor is bad.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:23 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Mine is usually off by about 5 degrees give or take. I always check and compare it with the weather app on my phone. Had the same issue with my g35 back in the day as well.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:02 PM
xnick101
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Anyone know where this sensor sits? I'm thinking of putting it in the engine bay so it's actually functional.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:59 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

I believe it's in front of the radiator. You wouldn't want it in the engine bay as it'd be reading engine bay temps not ambient air temperatures.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:03 PM
xnick101
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Ape Factory
You wouldn't want it in the engine bay as it'd be reading engine bay temps not ambient air temperatures.
Yeah I want it to read the engine bay temps for fun. I don't care about outside temperature anyway. I live in Florida so 95% of the time its just burning hot.
The following users liked this post:
Smithers911 (09-09-2020)
Old 05-28-2016, 03:05 PM
bigc

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by xnick101
Anyone know where this sensor sits? I'm thinking of putting it in the engine bay so it's actually functional.
^ from the third post in this thread. btw, don't relocate the ambient sensor into the engine bay - that defeats the purpose.
Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
...The external temp sensor is mounted in front of the radiator on the lower middle area...
Attached Thumbnails Outside temperature off-sensors.jpg  

Last edited by bigc; 05-28-2016 at 03:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
xnick101 (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 03:49 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Originally Posted by xnick101
Yeah I want it to read the engine bay temps for fun. I don't care about outside temperature anyway. I live in Florida so 95% of the time its just burning hot.
LOL, understood. I lived in Naples for 15 years, bout 3 hours South of you, before moving here two years ago. It's hotter here in Texas during the summer but far, far less humid. It's actually more tolerable. I really don't miss Southwest Florida summers.

Quick Reply: Outside temperature off