Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Which IPod Works Perfect in G37

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:15 PM
jamesmng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which IPod Works Perfect in G37

I recently bought a 2009 G37X sedan and wanted to get an Ipod for it. I'm not that tech savy and I just want one for music that I can plug in and it will work with the factory cable. I wanted to get a 32gb Ipod Touch, but was unsure if it works perfect.

I searched the forum and it seemed some had to get different cables, some wouldn't shut off with the car, some wouldn't charge with the factory cable, etc.

Can people please provide information as to what Ipod they have and if it works perfect? Does anybody have a Ipod touch and was there any issues with it working the way it should?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:26 PM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesmng
I recently bought a 2009 G37X sedan and wanted to get an Ipod for it. I'm not that tech savy and I just want one for music that I can plug in and it will work with the factory cable. I wanted to get a 32gb Ipod Touch, but was unsure if it works perfect.

I searched the forum and it seemed some had to get different cables, some wouldn't shut off with the car, some wouldn't charge with the factory cable, etc.

Can people please provide information as to what Ipod they have and if it works perfect? Does anybody have a Ipod touch and was there any issues with it working the way it should?

Thanks in advance.
There a many threads on this but to recap, some ipods do not charge and/or do not turn off when the ignition is off. If you are just going to leave the ipod in the car all the time, get iPod classic.

I have 7th Gen iPod classic 160GB and it works perfectly - charges AND turns off.

If you want to get iPod Touch, you will need an adapter to charge it as the cable that comes with the car does not charge newer devices that do only USB (not firewire) charging.

HTH
Old 03-19-2010, 10:47 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use the 5th Gen iPod Classic, also was called iPod Video when it came out. It charges fine but it I think it does not turn off when it's plugged in and the car is turned off. Other generations do shut themselves off after a certain time period.

However, that never seems to be much of a problem. I try to remember to turn it off manually when I shut the car down, but I normally forget. Nevertheless it always works when I start the car back up the next day. It seems to use very little battery when turned on and not playing music that way. But I fear it the continuous charging and draining will shorten the battery's (and thus the iPod's) lifetime.

TL;DR -- If you're getting a new one anyway, skip the 30Gig 5G Ipod Classic
Old 03-19-2010, 10:50 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this will put video on the screen as well?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:52 PM
rhymenoceros

I have an iPod Touch and a 7th gen Classic. The Classic works perfectly, charges and turns off. The Touch is a bit more finicky. It doesn't charge, and I don't if it's just me, but the Scoche Passport I got doesn't always work.

In any case, I highly recommend the Classic. You get way more storage and it's gonna cost just about the same. This is assuming you just want to keep it in your car.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:26 PM
txpatti

I have a 2009 G37 sedan and 5th Gen iPod Nano. I can't get the iPod to play through the car speakers. It also will not charge with the cable that came with the car. Is there something special I should do to get these things to work?

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:24 PM
rhymenoceros

Yeah, the 5th gen nano is not gonna charge through the cables, because of the newer charge method. It's the same case for the iPod Touches and some newer iPods. You're gonna need to get something like the Scoche Passport or some other adapter to get it to charge.
The audio thing is peculiar, though. Have you tested the cable with another iPod to see if it just isn't the cable? Does the iPod feature on the screen look grayed out or can you choose it? We'll need some more info before we can try to figure out what's happening.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:03 AM
DashKid
Banned

I use the nano 2nd gen for my car works perfect and I like it because it is small enough put under the arm rest. Than I have the Ipod touch which I use for every other case.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:12 PM
txpatti

Originally Posted by rhymenoceros
Yeah, the 5th gen nano is not gonna charge through the cables, because of the newer charge method. It's the same case for the iPod Touches and some newer iPods. You're gonna need to get something like the Scoche Passport or some other adapter to get it to charge.
The audio thing is peculiar, though. Have you tested the cable with another iPod to see if it just isn't the cable? Does the iPod feature on the screen look grayed out or can you choose it? We'll need some more info before we can try to figure out what's happening.
I'll have to test it with another iPod later today. The screen is not greyed out - I can make selections on the screen and change volume on the steering wheel. The sounds still not from the speakers.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Ryan D.

30 GB Ipod video. charges/turns off with the infiniti cable.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:23 PM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by Ryan D.
30 GB Ipod video. charges/turns off with the infiniti cable.
That's what I have. Is yours the 5th Gen -- the one in the link below?
Identifying iPod models

I don't think mine turns itself off after I power down the car. I've come back to the car hours later or the next day to find it still on -- although I probably haven't checked enough to know for sure. Let me ask, do you have the "lock switch" up at the top on locked or unlocked?
Old 03-23-2010, 06:40 PM
pauliewalnutzz
Registered Member

Apple iPod Video 5th Generation Black (30 GB) MP3 Pl... - eBay (item 290415916155 end time Mar-27-10 06:00:33 PDT)

would this work good?
Old 03-23-2010, 06:40 PM
pauliewalnutzz
Registered Member

will any ipod work with the car if you buy the right cable?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:40 PM
SM_Shadowman

This is already answered in posts 3, 10, & 11 of this thread.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:16 AM
pauliewalnutzz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
This is already answered in posts 3, 10, & 11 of this thread.
Ohh thanks, just want to make sure before i shell out $200+ on this ipod. and btw theres only about 50,000 ipods to choose from.

Quick Reply: Which IPod Works Perfect in G37