Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Anyone have problems with the intelligent key?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 01:58 PM
palinka
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have problems with the intelligent key?

Lately I've been having problems with the intelligent key. Starting about two weeks ago it's been 50/50 when I try to open or lock my doors while the key is in my pockets. Half the time I press the button on the door handle and nothing happens. I don't think it's a battery issue as I can start the car 100% of the time, and can use the key fob buttons to lock/unlock the car. So weird.

Anyone have similar problems? I hope it's a simple fix.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Keng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it in same pocket as cell phone?
Old 10-09-2008, 02:15 PM
palinka
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Keng
Usually I have my Blackberry in the left pocket, keys in the right pocket. I haven't had any problems with this at all in the first 6 months I've had the car, it started in the last two weeks.
When it doesn't want to work, it won't even work if I have the keys in my hand as I am pressing the door button with the same hand. The key fob can be literally 2 inches from the door and I still can't unlock the door with the button on the handle.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:17 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
are you sure it's not the battery? even if you can start the car, maybe the intellikey can be recognized by the car even if the battery died? dunno
Old 10-09-2008, 02:22 PM
palinka
Registered Member

I would think that a dead battery in the key fob would make this happen all the time. The fact that it happens inconsistently is driving me nuts.

You charge the key fob battery by sticking it in the little slot down to the left of the steering wheel, right?

I have a long drive this weekend, I'll see if charging the fob will make the issue go away.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:29 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it in the same packet as magnet?

If by "charging the fob" you mean sticking it in the socket to the left of the steering wheel then I think you should know that that socket is not a charging port. There is no "charging the fob". The port is there for you to be able to start the car in the case of a completely dead fob key.

The inconsistency makes me think that it's a LOW battery or bad contact. Do you get a fob battery warning in the center crystal display? Get it changed for 6 bucks and if the problem persists, take it to the dealer.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:32 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^No way to charge the fob;correct!
Must be a battery going down. Just change it and if it still happens take it in.

Trending Topics

Old 10-10-2008, 03:42 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Keng
This is not an issue with the G37 key fob.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:11 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
OP .. did you ever figure this out? Simple check ... Do you have the same problem with both remotes or just one of them?

Both remotes not working right = car problem
One remote not working right = ikey problem (battery?).
Old 10-20-2008, 08:22 PM
palinka
Registered Member

Originally Posted by terrycs
OP .. did you ever figure this out? Simple check ... Do you have the same problem with both remotes or just one of them?

Both remotes not working right = car problem
One remote not working right = ikey problem (battery?).
Of course, I haven't had a single issue since I posted this thread. Hopefully it stays that way...
Old 10-21-2008, 01:49 PM
jnifong

OR could it be the button on the door handle...hmmm? If the problem occurs on both sides the same way, THEN I'd say it's completely the fob. eh, just a guess. The problem is, that's probably a $2000 button

jon

__________________________________________________ _______________
'08 G37S Black/Black 6MT | Navi | Premium

Get your wrong on:

http://www.sheepholetees.com/main.php
Old 05-04-2017, 11:11 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Bump. Pass door works driver door does not.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:14 PM
Bahoni
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I have this issue as well. I have been dealing with it almost a year and no solution so far. Its so random, sometimes its the trunk wont open or the driver door. I have 3 fobs and tried them all with new batteries, etc. No go. I have to keep pressing the buttons on the fob 7-8 times sometimes to get it work. Since the problem occurs with all 3 fobs and locks, I am suspecting that there is a malfunction in the signal receiving system. I checked the service manual and there are multiple wireless transmitter/receivers for the key fob on this car. They wont be all failing at the same time so, I am not sure where is the problem at this point.
Any suggestions?
Old 05-30-2017, 08:27 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
This happens to me when I use my car starter. Probably because it's a two way starter so the fob is interfering but it's fine when I don't use it.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:30 PM
Rollo
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Bahoni
I have this issue as well. I have been dealing with it almost a year and no solution so far. Its so random, sometimes its the trunk wont open or the driver door. I have 3 fobs and tried them all with new batteries, etc. No go. I have to keep pressing the buttons on the fob 7-8 times sometimes to get it work. Since the problem occurs with all 3 fobs and locks, I am suspecting that there is a malfunction in the signal receiving system. I checked the service manual and there are multiple wireless transmitter/receivers for the key fob on this car. They wont be all failing at the same time so, I am not sure where is the problem at this point.
Any suggestions?
Did you figure this out? I am now having the same problem. Both fobs won't allow me to unlock the door with the button and I have to hold down the unlock button to get the car to unlock. Plus when I get int he car it often says no key the first time I try to start it.

Quick Reply: Anyone have problems with the intelligent key?