Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Upgrade of factory non-Bose Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 02:09 AM
droberts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrade of factory non-Bose Stereo?

I've recently purchased a new 2008 G37-6MT, but didn't spring for the premium package and am now finding that the only part of the car that doesn't enthuse me is the factory stereo. I am not interested in a really loud system, but a decent quality sound with a bit more punch. It is also a minimum critical success factor that I retain the factory looks and don't destroy the fit and finish of the doors and dash to upgrade the system. So the question is whether or not anyone has upgraded their factory system for around $1K and how they went about it. I am willing to add filters, amps, subs and all new speakers, but after reading the thread regarding installation of new tweeters and mids in the door and the modifications needed, I fear I may be doomed to listen to mediocrity.

Ideas? I will likely have the system professionaly installed, but have not been able to find any examples on the net of what folks have done to keep the factory system and looks / funtionality - but improve the sound.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:45 AM
maxipad96

For 1k I think you could put a nice little system together. I am working on a similar setup as yourself.

Zenclosure with 1 JL W3 Sub - 325 (If you don't mind purchasing of internet)

Alpine PDX 4.150 - 300 this amp is small and could run 1-2 subs along with a set of component speakers up front (Purchased off internet)

A nice set of components for the front kicks/tweets - apx 200 (Could spend more if you want)

A set of 6.5 Coaxial speakers in the back - 150

Wiring/Misc - 100

Dynamat - 100

Just over 1k worth of stuff and would sound a ton better than stock.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Kream

With that budget I would not get rear and spend more on the front.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:37 AM
droberts

Thanks for the response - budget isn't the most important issue

Thanks for the response thus far folks.

I'm not so worried about the 1K budget (just wish I was smart enough up front to realize that it may have been better to spend the extra 2,200 for the premium package to get the two features I did care about beyond the sun roof - stereo and phone system). What I am worried about is maitaining he factory appearance, upgrading the sound (wouldn't mind adding phone capability) without risking the tight fit and finish that the car offers new. Perhaps I am worrying to much since I intend on going to a professional installer (high end if I can find one I trust), but I've installed enough stereos myself to know what it can take to make speakers "fit". I may have made a mistake not purchasing the "premium package", but I thought I would be able to install a much better system for less money. Most factory systems have left me wanting. This one is no different, but perhaps I should have settled for the Bose. I was surprised to find that when I logged on to Crutchfield that no speaker info was available yet. When I looked on line further -nothing. What I expected was to log on and find that I should purchase one of a few systems that will fit without mods (speakers) and this or that wire harness to make it possible to operate the phone system though the stereo. Obviously not the case. I'm not an audiophile, but the stereo I installed in my first car (1976 toyota celica) in high school sounded much better and had more punch than the factory system in the new 2008 g-37. I installed that system myself for $600. Obviously at that time I wasn't worried about extra rattles (turn the stereo up and the car is quiet), but now I would like a decent sounding sytem with some punch that I don't pay for in future rattles. Perhaps I wait a few years and trade in the car for something with the options, but I am hoping that I can find someone in the same boat that keeps the driver unit (head) and replaces the rest without spending a huge gob of money and jeoperdizing the doors or dash. I may install subs with an extra amp, but care more about saving space in the trunk than pissing off the neighbors. Just want quality sound.

I've not yet visited a local stereo shop, perhaps I am making too much of it. I'm sure my fellow enthousiasts will let me know (be nice - only my second day on the site and my second week of owning my first toy car - which I really love...except the stereo). Obviously I'm a little bitter that they installed this lack-luster system in an otherwise badass dream car.

Cheers.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:44 AM
maxipad96

I think if you go ahead and spend the 1k on smart sound mods, you will be very satisfied compared to the sound quality of the stock premium package. The appearance will be relatively the same unless you go with a subwoofer. The only difference will be the box in the trunk, which I think looks cool. Especially the Zenclosure for instance.

Good luck and enjoy it.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
If you're interested in the factory Bose components, PM me. I will be removing mine to upgrade. I will have the amps and all the speakers available very soon, no need to worry about fit or OEM look. Let me know.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:24 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldnt go to Bose... due to there being alot of people hear with premium who are upgrading...

for 1k IMO it would be do-able:

Snag a nice 4 channel amp, snag a zen box, snag a nice 10, snag either a set of coaxils and tweeters or a smaller componet set.

With that you would use 2 channels bridged for the 10" sub for your bass and your other 2 channels in stereo for the front high end freq speakers...

If it was me, I do the above with coaxials in the 3.5 " hole and replace the tweeters. you can do many different things or combos tho...

pricing would be
4 ch amp: 200-250
10" sub: 100-200
Zen Box: 150
Coaxials: 75-125
Tweeters: 50-75
8ga wire kit : 50
Install: 100-150

Total: 750-1000

pretty nice upgrade
Old 06-14-2008, 01:35 PM
droberts

Specs for Speaker openings in the doors?

Does anyone have the specs for the speaker hole sizes in the doors? I would like to find a component speaker system that will fit in the doors without mods to replace all the front speakers (I'll be replacing the speakers in the rear deck and also installing a sub).

Also - are folks mounting the amp in the trunk with the sub or are they trying to hide the amp somewhere behind the dash?

Thanks.