Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Live fuel data....

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 01:07 AM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Live fuel data....

I'm sorry but infiniti did not fully think this system out. I cant stand the fact that when i'm driving the car hard if I am at 50 miles or less of gas in the tank the thing flips out and drops to zero beeping at me and putting up all these warnings saying i'm out of fuel. My Bmw's had this same type of system and never gave me these issues. When driving hard it would drop a mile or two maybe 3 at the most sometimes but when its dropping 50 miles thats just annoying.....
Old 11-01-2007, 02:12 AM
ghideon
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heh, I'm not sure I see the problem....

You have little fuel, and you're driving it hard. It sounds like a good incentive to drive easier, or get some gas
Old 11-05-2007, 09:45 AM
siug37

Honestly, its very hard on your motor to drive hard with a low level of gas in the tank.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:52 AM
mal_TX

Originally Posted by siug37
Honestly, its very hard on your motor to drive hard with a low level of gas in the tank.
How so?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:55 AM
UNV-IT46

its only hard on your motor if you have a level so low that due to extreme G's through a corner you are starving the fuel system and the motor is sputtering. with 50miles of fuel left i was no where near that point
Old 11-06-2007, 09:10 AM
siug37

Think what you want. I've seen what happens when people run their cars hard on very low fuel.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:19 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mal_TX
How so?
I'd like to know this as well. The only bad thing I've heard running it close to empy is all the crap at the bottom could get into your engine?

Last edited by Callaway; 11-06-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:44 PM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by Callaway
I'd like to know this as well. The only bad thing I've heard running it close to empy is all the crap at the bottom could get into your tank?
no thats nor correct, the bad crap is already in your tank but when you run it to basically empty it pulls the crap into the fuel system and clogs everything up.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
no thats nor correct, the bad crap is already in your tank but when you run it to basically empty it pulls the crap into the fuel system and clogs everything up.
This defies the laws of physics. The "crap" will naturally settle to the bottom of the tank usually in the lowest point which is where fuel pickups are commonly located (don't know about this car specifically). What "crap" could get in there in a closed, vacuum sealed system is beyond me unless it's in the fuel. I've also heard the old myth that water in the fuel will get into you engine and cause hydrolock if you run the car low on fuel or all the way out. Last time I checked, water is heaver than gasoline and does not readily mix, the water will always settle out at the BOTTOM of the tank when the car is left sitting still. This would happen on a cold start rather than after the car is near empty.
Again, I haven't checked this car specifically but there is ususlly a screen to protect against sucking any large particles of foreign material into the fuel lines. And what is that fuel filter for? Oh, yeah! To screen out yet again any particulate impurities in the fuel line just before it enters the injectors. How big is the opening in a fuel injector? Not large enough for any sizeable particle to pass through into the combustion chamber. Where is my logic flawed? Am I missing something obvious?

Think what you want. I've seen what happens when people run their cars hard on very low fuel.
Please share with the rest of us what you've seen happen when people run their cars hard on very low fuel. I've done it dozens of times; even run completely out of fuel at least 10 times with no ill effects. (I did it yesterday!) Am I just lucky and tempting fate? BTW, 210K+ miles on a VG30DE engine that I'm talking about. Please enlighten us all because I've never experienced such a thing and don't want to screw up my new G...
Old 11-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
That's what I meant. It gets into your fuel system.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:42 PM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

the rust and stuff really dont happen to gas tanks anymore..when cars get a lil older tahts when it happens...but if you always run your fuel pretty low, you will always have fresh fuel and wont give the car enuff time to rust up on the bottom of the fuel cell, therefore it wont mess anything up...if it runs outta fuel, it runs out...nuttin bad happens...you cna burn out the fuel pump by doing it too many times and too often..
Old 11-07-2007, 08:42 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

I cannot remember the part of the car it is suppose to affect but if your car is above %50 fuel it helps to cool a part of the car (sensor maybe?). I was always told when traveling long distances to try to keep the car above %50 fuel for this reason. When it is below %50 it can affect the cooling on a paticular part. I don't remember the part though and I am not sure if it is still recommendation on todays cars. I also remember seeing this topic on some car shows and scientific tv stations so someone on this forum must remember the name of the affected part. Also, this was recommended for vehicles running long distances like across states and such (not to work).