Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Rear Entertainment System

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 12:38 PM
sting0r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Entertainment System

Is there an option for a rear entertainment system? I know it sounds stupid, but my kid has gotten spoiled by the M35x the G37 is going to be replaced. I don't think there is an option for the G35 either, but I did see someone had one that look like it was bolted to the arm rest, that didn't look after market. I may want to go that route, but I love how it's integrated between the front and back in my M35x.

Anyone else considering a rear entertainment system in their G37?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:44 PM
gurneyeagle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sting0r
Is there an option for a rear entertainment system? I know it sounds stupid, but my kid has gotten spoiled by the M35x the G37 is going to be replaced. I don't think there is an option for the G35 either, but I did see someone had one that look like it was bolted to the arm rest, that didn't look after market. I may want to go that route, but I love how it's integrated between the front and back in my M35x.

Anyone else considering a rear entertainment system in their G37?
With all sincerity, I would get your child a personal DVD player and/or an iPod. If they are toolittle for that, you have to decide if the G37 is really the right car for you.

You can also buy a portable DVD player that literally hangs off the back of one of the front seats.

Trust me, I know those things are a god-send. We had one in our old Odyssey. The MDX that replaced it doesn't have one, but our son's personal DVD player works fine.

Good Luck!
Old 08-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, there is no option for a rear entertainment system. Like the poster above stated, your best best would be to purchase a portable DVD player.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:21 PM
sting0r

Thanks. My wife is parnoid about portable things or the dvd that straps to the back as if we get into an accident as it can become a projectile. I can thank the police officer that installed our first car seat for that.

We also have an MDX with the RES, so it's only going to be that odd time anyway. I still have to try a car seat in one (wasn't able to do that at the NY autoshow

I will probably get something aftermarket, I am sure there is a solution out there that would work for me. Could always get one of those headrest replacements if I need to...
Old 08-14-2007, 01:49 PM
RedHerring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting all the people that have an MDX and are looking at the G37. I am one, myself. I love my MDX, and it is the kid hauler ( my wifes car ). It has the RES, and a hacked front LCD that plays the RES video, or another source (ipod).

My twins would revolt on a long drive without DVD. I remember the old days where all you had to do was pester your brother the whole trip.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:55 PM
sting0r

It's funny, I guess it's the same demographic -- both are technologically advanced cars. I am dying for a sports car that has a small back seat for car seats . Don't get me wrong I love my current car which is the M35x. I definitely like the way Infiniti integrates the electronics much better. The MDX handsfree link is driving my wife nuts, as she like the way you can select the address book numbers on screen in my infiniti.

BTW, How did you hack the front LCD in the MDX, I may have to do that? My front LCD in the M35x works when the parking break is on.

Originally Posted by RedHerring
Interesting all the people that have an MDX and are looking at the G37. I am one, myself. I love my MDX, and it is the kid hauler ( my wifes car ). It has the RES, and a hacked front LCD that plays the RES video, or another source (ipod).

My twins would revolt on a long drive without DVD. I remember the old days where all you had to do was pester your brother the whole trip.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:56 PM
sanscu

I don't blame you thinking about the kids, after all it makes life a lot easier.

It really amazes me how perceptive kids are about the "entertainment value" of a car in this day and age. To be honest, I think your chances are very high for aftermarket BUT you are going to have to spend some money on that setup. By that, I mean that the kids will want Audio integrated into the Bose of the G37 and you may need to obtain two screens for both headrests.

Don't worry, there are quite a few people who will be interested in that type of aftermarket rear entertainment system.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:50 PM
RedHerring

Try Here. Quick and easy install under the passenger seat for the MDX. I got the budget version, works great!

AVElectonic Nav Boxes
Old 08-14-2007, 03:58 PM
anotha

Try Here. Quick and easy install under the passenger seat for the MDX. I got the budget version, works great!

AVElectonic Nav Boxes
I always thought of putting on in my car but idk bout it. What exactly did you connect to it?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:05 PM
sting0r

AVElectonic Nav Boxes
Nice, looks like a 1 wire install. Wonder if it will cause problems with my back-up camera.

On another note, I spent most of the day trolling the forums. My lease expires in February on my M35x, guess it's probably too early, but I am dying to get my hands on the G37. If I can find a dealer in NY willing to take my M35x off my hands without a loss I would get it straight away Probably too much to ask as it is basically 6 months worth of payments even with my low miles, oh well....
Old 09-17-2007, 03:49 PM
RedHerring

You unplug the connector that goes into the back of the Nav DVD drive under the passenger seat, plug the AVElectronic connector in it's place, then plug the original connector you just unplugged into AVelectronic box, ground the yellow (brake) wire, provide +12vdc power, and plug in a video source. Unground yellow and the nav is back to normal, backup camera and all.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

I could understand a rear entertainment option in the sedan, but in a coupe?