Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Best Portable DVD player to keep in the G37?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 10:08 PM
sanscu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Portable DVD player to keep in the G37?

So this is new to me since I want to be able to play DVD's on the NAV screen using the AUX input. Does anyone know if the sedan guys have been able to "fit" a portable DVD player someplace in front and what kind of company/make it was?

If not, anyone else here interested in looking into incorporating a DVD player somewhere around the front eg under the passenger seat, in the dash etc.

I am totally awed by the fact that you can even hook up a portable DVD player at all. That's for all models standard (NAV and non-NAV).

EDIT: Also, does AUX feature only work if the car is in Park when it comes to DVDs.

Last edited by sanscu; 08-13-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:22 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sanscu
So this is new to me since I want to be able to play DVD's on the NAV screen using the AUX input. Does anyone know if the sedan guys have been able to "fit" a portable DVD player someplace in front and what kind of company/make it was?

If not, anyone else here interested in looking into incorporating a DVD player somewhere around the front eg under the passenger seat, in the dash etc.

I am totally awed by the fact that you can even hook up a portable DVD player at all. That's for all models standard (NAV and non-NAV).

EDIT: Also, does AUX feature only work if the car is in Park when it comes to DVDs.
The video on the AUX port only works when it is parked. I know they have portable DVD players that are really small that would work but I would like to find something a little better if possible.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:42 AM
sanscu

I am sure that people have bypassed the AUX in park only feature.

Let me do a search for that, or better yet, anyone know if that seems like an easy thing to do?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:48 AM
bostonmerlin

consider an ipod video.. 80gigs of space for several movies not to mention tons of music... plus it's small enough to live in the g's center armrest.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:36 AM
sanscu

So if I read you right BostonMerlin, you are saying the Ipod is a good choice for compact fit but still doesn't avoid the play while Park issue and will also require converting home DVD's into the iPod format.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:34 PM
bostonmerlin

So if I read you right BostonMerlin, you are saying the Ipod is a good choice for compact fit but still doesn't avoid the play while Park issue and will also require converting home DVD's into the iPod format.
correct. nothing is going to "avoid the play/park issue" unless you perform a hack to work around it. converting movies for use on the ipod is a no-brainer.. and to be honest.. i'd much rather keep my dvds safe at the house instead of lying around in my car.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

I am sure that people have bypassed the AUX in park only feature.

Let me do a search for that, or better yet, anyone know if that seems like an easy thing to do?
You won't find any information on the forum regarding this hack (if there even is one) because it's compromising a safety feature of the vehicle and the forum doesn't condone it. Having said that, if you want to watch videos while the car is in park, I would say the iPod video would be your best solution due to its compact nature.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:03 PM
sanscu

Thanks guys for the answers. I would emphasize Canuck's caution as well since compromising safety is a no no. The reason I would be interested in such a hack as discussed in Sting0r's post is for kids traveling in the car as well. It's either the front or the rear that will "need" a DVD entertainment alternative.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

My daughter is only 5 months old, so she isn't into watching TV yet.......but I can only imagine how priceless these entertainments systems are to those that have kids a little older. I am sure it keeps the kids quiet on trips and are worth every penny.