Help Rotor and pad decisions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 03:10 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts
Rotor and pad decisions

Updated and included a list of options I was looking at. I ended up ordering the Z1 1 piece slotted rotor kit, along with 2 extra bottles of Motul RBF600, the standard SS lines they offer, and some Hawk Performance Ceramic pads. I'm curious and excited to try out these pads; I've heard a few mixed reviews but mostly hearing great things about them over all. I was either going to go with those pads or the Akebono ProActs or Akebono Performance pads, but since it was a kit and the Akebono's weren't available I ended up going with the HAWKs. I heard several mixed reviews about the power and feel of the Centric Posi-quiets, so I decided to avoid them for now, all though Sam at Z1 did recommend them for DD and said he has them on his personal Z that's boosted also. He also recommended the standard SS lines over their premium lines due to their factory fitment.

Original post is below.

It's come time for me to replace all 4 OEM rotors and get new pads for my 13' sport coupe with the Akebono BBK. I've been reading through every rotor and pad review/thread on the forum and still have a few questions or would like some feedback from users running any of the following setups. I'm primarily looking at nicer replacement blanks (the Centric Premium Cryo treated rotors and possibly the high carbon version for the fronts), stoptech sport cryo treated slotted rotors, and the Z1 slotted 1 piece rotors. Looking for something that's quality and will last a decent bit. I do plan on upgrading to the Z1 2 piece kit when I can afford it in a couple years but want something a littler better than OEM to last until then.

I do some spirited driving from time to time but definitely appreciate initial bite since it's my DD. I don't plan on tracking my car anytime soon, and I do live on the coast with frequent rainstorms which is another reason I'm considering the slotted style besides improved performance. I'm definitely looking for slightly improved braking feel and stopping power, and I don't want to have to worry about warming up my brakes to get the most out of them on my way to work in the morning when some jack *** cuts me off.

For pads, I've heard a few different things from users depending on the setup. I'm leaning more towards a ceramic compound for low noise, low dust and better rotor life. I might attend 1 or 2 track events a year once but would change my pads out for track events - Carbotech already chosen for that. I'm looking at the StopTech Sport pads, the Akebono ProAct and performance pads, and the Hawk Performance Ceramic pads primarily. Someone on the forum also recommended RB performance brakes pads but I can't find much feedback on them for our application. Blnewt and one of my coworkers both recommended the Stoptech sport pads if I go with the Stoptech rotors, but any additional input on the other brands is really appreciated. I'd also consider Project Mu pads and EBC, but can't find many reviews on those for the G. Oh and one last thing, I will be upgrading to some SS brake lines and running some Motul RBF600 I already purchased and have waiting in my closet. Getting it all done at once the the right way with the right stuff.

Update - After doing some more thinking and hearing input from some of you, I'm considering the Z1 basic Akebono slotted upgrade kit now (which uses BPI blanks) since it's a steal at $390 for the front and rears. I think I'll either go with those or DBA T3 ClubSpec 4000 slotted rotors which people speak highly of. They have a unique vane design in their 1 piece rotors that seems more effective at dissipating heat evenly. The Centric cryo treated premium blanks are my last choice for now, and I think I'd rather get the cheaper Z1 BPI slotted blanks over the non-cryo treated stoptech slotted sports. What's the general consensus on cryo treatment- worth it? It sounds like it makes rotors last substantially longer, which is why I was considering paying a little more for the cryo treated slotted stoptechs. For the price also, I think I'd rather get the Z1 slotted kit over the Centric Premium cryo treated blanks, but maybe the centrics are more durable. Here's my options list I made in notes, hopefully it will help out others looking for info.

Rotors:

Option 1: Stoptech Sport Slotted Cryo treated rotors
Fronts - $378 Total FL - 126.42100CSL
FR - 126.42100CSR
Rears - $296 Total LR - 126.42101CSL
RR - 126.42101CSR
Total - $674 @tirerack or KNS

Option 2: Z1 Slotted BPI rotors
Total - $390 for front and rears @Z1
This is just a great deal. If they don’t last too long, only out a few hundred but don’t want any vibration or quality issues

Option 3: Stoptech sport slotted rotors, non-cryo treated
Fronts - $330
Rears - $242
Total - $572 @tirerack or KNS

Option 4: Centric Premium vented cryo treated
Fronts - $270 120.42100CRY OR
$320 125.42100CRY
Rears - $210 120.42101CRY
Total - $480 or $530 including high carbon fronts

Option 5 (if I can): DBA T3 ClubSpec 4000 slotted rotors
$900ish for the pad and rotor combo @KNS.
Great reviews all around. A little pricey, getting closer to the 2 piece rotors range which I’ll dream about for now but a steal for a combo.

Pads: According to the Infiniti service bulletin, the OEM pads are an NAO compound but not sure if that is for all models (from https://infinitig37.com/TSB/ITB00-024e.pdf)

StopTech Sport - $189 @tirerack or @kns, have slightly more dust
Stoptech street? - $124 @tirerack or @kns
Hawk Performance Ceramics - $188 @kns
Akebono ProAct - $121 on sale @tirerack, OEM ceramic replacement
Akebono performance ceramics? - $133 @tirerack, not too many reviews
I’m considering EBC reds/yellows also.

Really appreciate all the feedback from the community!

Cheers,

Last edited by goldbug; 08-01-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:20 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I don't care for EBC Greenstuff but that was an experience 20 years ago. I'm running the Hawk 5.0 with my Akebonos and they stop well but are a bit dusty.

I never had problems with solid disks and I've lived in Houston all my driving life. We get our share of frog stranglers. Drilled is for racing or looks. I can see slotted as being worthwhile.
The following users liked this post:
goldbug (07-11-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 04:30 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I have the DBA T3 ClubSpec 4000 Drilled/Slotted rotors (I wanted the "bling") paired with a set of Hawk HPS 5.0 pads and am very pleased with the setup. I have good initial bite, very little dusting, and have not had any issues at all.

I, too, have a tendency to get spirited from time to time. However it is important to note that my car rarely gets driven (1-2x/mo. at most). I installed this set 4/30/2017 and they barely have 4500 miles on them. So I can not speak as to how well this setup would hold up with daily use. I do know that they have saved my *** a few times with these idiotic drivers (tourists included) and their backwards driving habits.

Attaching 2 pics. Keep in mind the car hasn't been driven since mid-June so please excuse the surface rust. And, yes, I painted the hats red:

goldbug (07-11-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 08:56 PM
Black_Vegas
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Go with the Z1 Brake upgrade package. It comes with your choice of plain, slotted only, or drilled and slotted rotors, stainless steel brake lines, Motul 5.1 or RBF600 brake fluid, and your choice of brake pads from ceramic posi quiet pads all the way to Carbontech race pads. I purchased the slotted rotors with ceramic posi quiet pads. Like @ILM-NC G37S said it has saved me from accidents due to others texting and driving.
The following 2 users liked this post by Black_Vegas:
chinabean (07-13-2019), goldbug (07-11-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 11:11 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Those 5.0s do get a solid review history, good one to add to your wish list.
FWIW Slotted rotors can be turned, some shops may not want to do it or have had problems w/ inexperienced guys doing the work. Just need to take a smaller amount of facing off w/ each pass vs. a blank rotor.
goldbug (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:26 AM
goldbug
Premier Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
I don't care for EBC Greenstuff but that was an experience 20 years ago. I'm running the Hawk 5.0 with my Akebonos and they stop well but are a bit dusty.

I never had problems with solid disks and I've lived in Houston all my driving life. We get our share of frog stranglers. Drilled is for racing or looks. I can see slotted as being worthwhile.

Oh driving in Houston, I feel your pain. I have a lot of family in Houston and every time I drive on those roads with the insane drivers there I'm thankful for the crappy drivers we have in my town

I decided to stick to slotted only if I don't go with blanks, I won't risk cracking from drilled rotors. Thanks for the input on the ebc pads too.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:37 AM
goldbug
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
I have the DBA T3 ClubSpec 4000 Drilled/Slotted rotors (I wanted the "bling") paired with a set of Hawk HPS 5.0 pads and am very pleased with the setup. I have good initial bite, very little dusting, and have not had any issues at all.

I, too, have a tendency to get spirited from time to time. However it is important to note that my car rarely gets driven (1-2x/mo. at most). I installed this set 4/30/2017 and they barely have 4500 miles on them. So I can not speak as to how well this setup would hold up with daily use. I do know that they have saved my *** a few times with these idiotic drivers (tourists included) and their backwards driving habits.

Attaching 2 pics. Keep in mind the car hasn't been driven since mid-June so please excuse the surface rust. And, yes, I painted the hats red:

The red hats look good. That's part of my worry, eating through the rotors quickly. The speed limit here doesn't go past 45 except on a few roads, so most of the time I'm not braking that hard even during my daily commuting. I normally drive around 6-8k miles a year on my car but have put a lot more on it in this first year (11k total for the year) since we took a road trip to avoid the hurricane last year and my Fiancee's car has been in and out of the shop and I've been driving everywhere. I'll definitely consider the HPS pads, I forget where but I thought I'd read other people saying initial bite wasn't that good, so it's nice to hear otherwise from someone with that setup. Also a plus with lower dust levels.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:50 AM
goldbug
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Black_Vegas
Go with the Z1 Brake upgrade package. It comes with your choice of plain, slotted only, or drilled and slotted rotors, stainless steel brake lines, Motul 5.1 or RBF600 brake fluid, and your choice of brake pads from ceramic posi quiet pads all the way to Carbontech race pads. I purchased the slotted rotors with ceramic posi quiet pads. Like @ILM-NC G37S said it has saved me from accidents due to others texting and driving.
I feel pretty dumb right now honestly, I've been non-stop hunting on all the websites and Z1 has always been a favorite of mine. I saw all of the other rotors and 2 piece rotors but completely missed those somehow- thanks a ton for letting me know ab those! I already have the RBF600 brake fluid I got from Z1, otherwise I'd probably do the package. I'll be buying the premium brake line kit from Z1 also. Would you say getting the Z1 slotted BPI rotors was a good decision over the blanks? I'm just a little hesitant about the slots eating through pads, but improved wet braking is a big plus for me. If I don't go with the slotted Z1 kit or the stoptech cryo treated slotted rotors I'll be doing the centric premium cryo treated blanks.

Last edited by goldbug; 07-12-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:08 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
2 more cents on this:

for EBC the greens will be obliterated by the weight of the G, IIRC EBC recommends the reds for this weight of car, personally i think this isn't enough and yellows are the best all around for this car

I used to run the Centric stoptech, drilled and slotted rotors and then went to the centric premiums and the the premium blanks which didn't last even 1/3 as long and the stoptech centrics never cracked or warped even after multiple track days.... so I'm convinced its not just the holes and slots being added within the centric brand, but a change in metalurgy dfepending on the model...I don't remember much about cryotreated rotors, but hopefully the cryotreated ones you get are more durable than the regular premium which I was surprised wore out so quick.

Lots of people on here have really liked the hawk 5.0 pads and the stoptech pads..In fact I cant recall anyone not liking them
goldbug (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 02:17 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Baadnewsburr
2 more cents on this:

for EBC the greens will be obliterated by the weight of the G, IIRC EBC recommends the reds for this weight of car, personally i think this isn't enough and yellows are the best all around for this car

I used to run the Centric stoptech, drilled and slotted rotors and then went to the centric premiums and the the premium blanks which didn't last even 1/3 as long and the stoptech centrics never cracked or warped even after multiple track days.... so I'm convinced its not just the holes and slots being added within the centric brand, but a change in metalurgy dfepending on the model...I don't remember much about cryotreated rotors, but hopefully the cryotreated ones you get are more durable than the regular premium which I was surprised wore out so quick.

Lots of people on here have really liked the hawk 5.0 pads and the stoptech pads..In fact I cant recall anyone not liking them
That's the exact type of input I was looking for, really appreciate that. I read a few things on the 370z forum where users said their hawk pads were burning up their rotors pretty quickly, but have also heard about how good they are. I'll avoid EBC though now after hearing that and reading some other bad reviews of their pads and rotors for our car's application. I really like the price of the Z1 slotted BPI rotors at $390 for the set but am definitely willing to pay up and get the cryo treated stop tech slotted rotors if the general consensus is the StopTechs or Centric premium cryo's are the better choice.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:41 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Stoptech sells complete kit with rotors pads and hardware for less than 500 for front and rear. Rotors are crossdrilled
Old 07-12-2019, 03:18 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Surfnazi
Stoptech sells complete kit with rotors pads and hardware for less than 500 for front and rear. Rotors are crossdrilled

I saw those, but I'm only looking at blank or slotted rotors now and didn't see an axle pack for their slotted only or cryo treated slotted rotors. If they had one, I might jump on it though.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:19 PM
KungFooFireman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I JUST finished doing a break job on my fronts, Akebonos. I bought the Centric Premium 12042100 and the Akebono ProAct Pads ACT 1346. I upgraded my brakes about 2 years ago with these same rotors but got the Centric ceramic pads the first time. On more than a few occasions, I would get bad brake shudder at certain speeds and have to do some extreme breaking to get those deposits off and get smooth operation back.

When I inspected my brakes last week, the drivers side had a lot of life left, but the passenger side had extreme uneven wear so I replaced them. I actually contemplated getting OEM rotors from Discountinfinitiparts.com but couldn't justify paying $90+ each for plain rotors. I went with the Centric Premiums again, now I have two sets. I'll have the old rotors turned so on my next brake job, all I need to do is plug and play. No down time waiting for rotors to get turned. I don't know if the rotors warped causing the uneven pad wear or pads caused uneven deposits but we'll see how the Akebono pads do. It's butter smooth right now of course.

Last edited by KungFooFireman; 07-12-2019 at 05:25 PM.
goldbug (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 05:46 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Cryo treated rotors really dont last longer. Centric who also owns stoptech,powestop,powerslot makes good compnenta. If you're worried about cracking I have yet to crack a rotor on the 4 cars I put it on.
goldbug (07-13-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 09:08 AM
goldbug
Premier Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I narrowed it down to the Z1 Slotted rotors or the DBA T3 ClubSpec 4000 slotted rotors I was considering at first. It’s around $725 all in with shipping and taxes if you run the Z1 slotted 1pc rotors, hawk ceramics, and the Z1 premium SS lines. The DBA kit from KNS is right at $1025 for the rotors, pads, and SS lines included in that cost. I'm going to try and swing the DBA's because I've only read good reviews about all of their rotors, but if I can't decide to pay that extra difference I'll try out the Z1 rotors. I think I'm going to give the hawk performance ceramics a try too. I thought about the ProACT's and the akebono performance ceramics but seems like the hawk ceramics perform slightly better.

Quick Reply: Help Rotor and pad decisions