Concavity

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 03:21 PM
James Osumah
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concavity

Quick newbie question-

I am about to buy some Konig Oversteer rims they are pretty concave but I want to keep that concavity what else do I need to do and or buy in regards to keeping the wheel as concave as possible. I was thinking maybe tires had something to do with it but some research said offsets. I'm unsure so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:20 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Since you have a sedan you're limited to pretty conservative offsets. Typically the wider the wheel and the less positive you go in offset the more concavity is available. Not all wheels change the face as they get wider or a more aggressive offset. You'd have to contact Konig or the vendor to see if the concavity changes w/ the offset.

You'll be looking at wheels with offsets in the +35 to +45 range depending on wheel width unless you really want to run heavy camber, stretched tires, fender work or a combination of those three options.
The following users liked this post:
James Osumah (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 01:40 PM
James Osumah
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay and does ride height aka adding coil-overs have an effect on the concavity of this wheel?
Old 02-06-2017, 04:03 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by James Osumah
Okay and does ride height aka adding coil-overs have an effect on the concavity of this wheel?
If you lower your G the negative camber will increase, so this will allow you to run a bit more aggressive offset. The only real effect on concavity is like I mentioned in my previous post above~many wheel designs have a deeper concave as the wheel gets wider and the offset gets less positive, but this is on a wheel to wheel basis, something you would have to contact the vendor or find comparison photos.

One of the best brands as far as detailing how concave one wheel size is compared to another is Niche. Check this example to see what I mean
http://www.nicheroadwheels.com/essen-m147-w-12799.htm

In the lower left you'll see a sketch of several wheel sizes, click on the right arrow and as you can see, as you go up in width the concavity increases.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:14 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
As blnewt already said, wider wheel = more concave. Lower offset = more concave. Although the concavity of the wheel will ultimately depend on the design and manufacturer. Companies like Vossen and Rohana have some pretty concave designs, whereas wheels from other manufacturerse might not have the same concave profile even if they are the same width and offset.

Generally wheels specified for the front (widths between 8.5 to 9.5) will be less concave than wheels specified for the rear (widths between 10 and 11+)