Help Tread wear from Negative Camber

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 05:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Unhappy Tread wear from Negative Camber

My car is lowered on Swifts up front, and Tein Basis CO's out back with SPC rear camber arms. Here are my wheel & tire specs... Vossen CVT and Michelin PSS:
  • Fronts: 19x8.5" +32, 245/40ZR19, -1.7* and -1.1* camber
  • Rears: 19x10.0" +42, 275/35ZR19, -2.2* and -2.3* camber

I purchased the Vossens new in early 2014, shipped to me wrapped in Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I've put almost exactly 4000 miles per year on them, so that's 12000 total miles so far. I don't drive much, I work at home, blah blah blah.

Every winter, while the summer setup is off the car, it's a chance to really clean, clay and wax the rims... which I do, and they look brand new. Love these wheels. It's also a chance to reassess the tires. After 12k miles, rears are at a solid 4/32". Fronts are just under 6/32". Both are still a couple of ticks away from the wear bars, even on the rears. So you would think they'd be OK for another 4000 miles, right? (For context, these tires have 10/32" tread depth new.)

I had my mind made up to go one more year, convincing myself over the last three years that the effects of neg camber were minimal. But lately I've been eyeballing the inner-edge wear, and coming to a totally different conclusion. And it's pretty noticeable now that I'm looking at it. There's no feathering in the rubber, or belts showing through or anything like that. Not yet, at least. So I'm debating what to do and when to do it. When buying Michelin again, that's $1074 shipped, plus mounting/balancing. So figure $1200 for the whole project.

Leaning towards using these worn tires this Spring, and saving for replacement later in the summer.

Opinions anyone?

Last edited by Rochester; 01-29-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:43 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Unless you only drive when it's not raining, hydroplaning would be of concern. Why not just replace the rears only?

In two years you should be able to replace all 4 as a set.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Unless you only drive when it's not raining, hydroplaning would be of concern. Why not just replace the rears only?

In two years you should be able to replace all 4 as a set.
My main concern is the wear on the inner edge. Was looking for some opinions on that situation.

However, yes, the rears at 4/32" is cutting things close, and between fronts and rears I would certainly replace the rears first.

Here's a thought that I haven't worked through yet... I'm considering Conti DWS for the rears only, because they have a longer tread life, softer ride, and would be a huge savings over the PSS. All the while using PSS in the front (regardless of new or existing front tires) because the PSS has better steering feel and turn-in response partly due to its stiffer sidewall.

The DWS is one pound heavier at 27 vs. 26 for the rears, but the price difference for the pair is a $207 savings, which is enough to make me consider it. But just for the rears.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-29-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I was hoping to get more discussion here, however... putting this thread together was part of the thought process. And the more I think about this, the more focused I am towards a game plan.

1. In March, get the car Inspected while the snow tires are still mounted.

2. In April, put the Vossens and PSS back on the car. Run them for a few months; (remember, low miles driven anyway.)

3. In July, purchase a pair of Conti DW's for the rear, before the August meet-up road trip.

4. Throughout it all, keep an eye on the inner edge for the fronts.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:23 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
I think your treadwear is on par for those tires, staggered being 15,000.

Personally, I don't like running mismatched tires.

Michelin is releasing a PSS replacement in the next month or so. IDK if that means the PSS will be discontinued, so there is a chance they might be discounted then.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:29 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Hey Lego.

I'd go so far as to say the tread wear is better than the OEM Bridgestones, by far. I only got 11k out of those things before I said it was time to go PSS. And towards the last few thousand of that, it was starting to feel pretty sloppy. So yes, PSS are a great tire.

And yes, PSS is about to be replace by the new Micheline Pilot Sport 4S:
Michelin Launches New King of All Tires, the Pilot Sport 4 S ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Thoughts on the inner edge wear?
Old 01-31-2017, 01:29 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
I don't have mecuh to "add" discussion wise other than I'm in the same boat as you. I run the same as you in the rear:

Rears: 370z Rays 19x10.0" +30, PSS 275/35/19, but with -1.6* camber

After 15,000 miles (a little less then a year for me sadly) my inner edge looks about the same as yours. I've been watching mine closely as well. Across the tire I have about 4/32" tread left as well. What tire pressure you run at?

I have a few theories as to what cases the wear as -1.6* shouldn't be bad. Most link back to the soft sticky tire and the crazy travel arc our suspension gets when we are lowered.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by zer099
I don't have mecuh to "add" discussion wise other than I'm in the same boat as you. I run the same as you in the rear:

Rears: 370z Rays 19x10.0" +30, PSS 275/35/19, but with -1.6* camber

After 15,000 miles (a little less then a year for me sadly) my inner edge looks about the same as yours. I've been watching mine closely as well. Across the tire I have about 4/32" tread left as well. What tire pressure you run at?

I have a few theories as to what cases the wear as -1.6* shouldn't be bad. Most link back to the soft sticky tire and the crazy travel arc our suspension gets when we are lowered.
Interesting. You are exactly in the same situation. Same tires, same size, same wear. And yeah, it sucks for you that your one-year is my three years.

I keep the tires at whatever PSI is recommended on the door. Forget what it is... 33 psi? In any event, it must be adequate because the tread wear is completely even from the inside-out, except for the inner edge, of course.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-31-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:22 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
I'm at -1.6 in the rear now with PSS and I plan on having them change my alignment here soon to -1.3 in back for better traction coming out of corners. You're running quite a bit of camber all around and my OEM Bridgestones wore quickly on the inner edge when running -2.0 camber out back.

Is your toe in spec? Our cars have a hard time maintaining the toe settings front and rear. They often move out of the optimal setting due to rough roads and what not. I backed down my damping a bit to help with this.

Tire wear was one of the reasons I went with a square setup which makes front/rear and side/side rotation possible. I run far, far less camber up front than you but will be adding a bit more (doubling it actually -.4 to -.8).
Old 02-01-2017, 01:21 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
FWIW I run very minimal camber @ -1.0 and I have extremely even tread wear, and my Kumho Ecsta Le Sport have less tread life than the PSS from all I've read. About 20k is the max on these tires and my wear is perfect across the tread block with no excess inner wear. Have about 8 k on the tires now and still have 3/4ths of the tread depth left.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:59 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Hey Lego.

I'd go so far as to say the tread wear is better than the OEM Bridgestones, by far. I only got 11k out of those things before I said it was time to go PSS. And towards the last few thousand of that, it was starting to feel pretty sloppy. So yes, PSS are a great tire.

And yes, PSS is about to be replace by the new Micheline Pilot Sport 4S:
Michelin Launches New King of All Tires, the Pilot Sport 4 S ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Thoughts on the inner edge wear?
I'd agree, the PSS have far better wear characteristics than the OEM Bridgestones. I had taken some pics of my rear tires back in November when I did the brakes and dug them up. I don't seem to be experiencing the same inner wear as you.

These pictures were with about 12,000 miles. I'm holding out for the new PS4, unless I can get a nice discount on PSS.

If it's any consolation, I generally have to replace my tires once a year since I don't have the benefit of running snow tires half the year.
Attached Thumbnails Tread wear from Negative Camber-4pss.jpg   Tread wear from Negative Camber-dsc00674.jpg  
Old 02-01-2017, 07:06 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Well damn, those pics look like new to me. That you only experienced 3mm of loss in 12k miles is heck of a thing for a tire like this.

So anyway... feeling more comfortable with plans since the issue has been rattling around in my head recently.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:13 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
FWIW I run very minimal camber @ -1.0 and I have extremely even tread wear, and my Kumho Ecsta Le Sport have less tread life than the PSS from all I've read. About 20k is the max on these tires and my wear is perfect across the tread block with no excess inner wear. Have about 8 k on the tires now and still have 3/4ths of the tread depth left.
The heavy neg camber on the fronts is what it is, because lowered w/o adjustable front arms. However, the heavy neg camber in the rears is entirely intentional. Without it, the Vossens poke a lot, and look ridiculous. So in that respect, I've brought this on myself because of the wheels.

I suppose it's one of those things you either accept, or go nuts. This is me working through that, LOL.

Thanks, guys.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:23 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Yeah might have to go with a harder compound then. Michelin did have a sale which required you to check with local tire shops. I thought Costco would be the least expensive but I ended up at a small mom and pop shop and it was $1080 out the door, mounted, taxes, everything, for four PSS in 255/40/19. Just hoping I can get two years out of each set @10K miles a year.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:22 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Looks more like your over inflating that's not camber wear