Help Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ V speed rated or W speed rated? Helpppp

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 04:11 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ V speed rated or W speed rated? Helpppp

In our own stock 225/50/18 size, these tires either come in a V or W speed rated option. I cannot find any concrete info on what the difference will be, other than max speed. There is not a lot of hard information of what makes a tire a V rated and W rated tire.. I read some places that the higher the speed rating the better the cornering grip but it seemed that had to do with lower speed tires to much higher speed tires. V vs W is relatively close max speed ratings.

What performance difference, comfort difference, and snow traction difference will there be with the exact same model tire, but in a different speed rating of V versus W?

Will the W rated handle slightly better in dry, wet, and normal highway speed (I am not referring to triple digit speed but regular speed), will the V rated tire be more comfortable and less harsh, will the V rated have slightly better snow traction? What actual difference will there be between the V rated and W rated of the same tire?
Old 01-16-2017, 11:19 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
If they have the same load rating the tires will perform almost identical, if the price is close I'd go to the higher speed W rated set. Theoretically the higher speed rating the safer they should be when pushed. Think of it this way, if you run a 149 mph V tire at 145 mph you're really pushing that tire, if you run the same speed on a 168 mph W tire you're not nearly as close to it's limits.

Depends on your plans for the car.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:43 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
If they have the same load rating the tires will perform almost identical, if the price is close I'd go to the higher speed W rated set. Theoretically the higher speed rating the safer they should be when pushed. Think of it this way, if you run a 149 mph V tire at 145 mph you're really pushing that tire, if you run the same speed on a 168 mph W tire you're not nearly as close to it's limits.

Depends on your plans for the car.
My plans are to stay completely stock. I just added the rwd sway bar to my awd and that is all I have done and will do.

With that being said, the price is very close. Do you think i should still go with the W rated?

Will the V rated be any more smooth? Since the W is rated for a higher speed then is the W rated built slightly stiffer which will give slightly better handling?
Old 01-16-2017, 12:57 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by mjnoles1
My plans are to stay completely stock. I just added the rwd sway bar to my awd and that is all I have done and will do.

With that being said, the price is very close. Do you think i should still go with the W rated?

Will the V rated be any more smooth? Since the W is rated for a higher speed then is the W rated built slightly stiffer which will give slightly better handling?
The original equipment (Dunlop SP SPORT MAXX A1-A A/S) is V-rated. I recently replaced mine with Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06, which are W-rated. I know it's highly subjective, but the Continentals seem to have a more forgiving ride than the Dunlops.

Myles
Old 01-16-2017, 09:07 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Yeah, if the price is close I'd go with the Ws, might contact Neal@tirerack and get his opinion as he deals with this stuff everyday.