Question about new rims and vibrations after

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 02:02 AM
jayp81
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Question about new rims and vibrations after

Hello, I had a question/issue was wanting some opinions on this. So I just got some new wheels from Discount Tire, and right away after the install I noticed excessive shaking from my steering wheel at around 60mph+ So I right away went back and told them, and they rebalanced them and said I needed hubrings so solve the problem, and that they would order me some hubrings. After that rebalance the shake is much less than the first ride with the new rims, but I'm worried hubrings arent going to fix this. I notice one of the front wheels has lots of weights on it, and I feel this is odd for new rims. Oh, by the way the tires are about 1k miles old, I had installed them there the month before on the stock wheels, and there was no shake/vibrations with the stock rims. Any thoughts?
Thank You!
Old 12-27-2016, 11:46 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Hub adapter rings will typically eliminate or greatly reduce vibration at speed when going with new wheels that have larger hub bores. If they had to use a lot of weighting your tires may not have been indexed w/ the wheels when mounting. They should align the red dots (some tires may use different colors) on the tires to the valve stems on your wheels, this should reduce the amount of weight they need to use.

If they ordered plastic hub rings I would replace them with aluminum ones down the road, the plastic ones have a pretty short life span if you remove wheels very much to have them rotated or switching to a winter set, etc.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:36 AM
jayp81
Registered Member

Thank You blnewt for the information! I do recall that my tires use to have red dots on them before the wheel installation, and now that I look at them I cant see the dot. I wonder if it just washed off from recent rain and me washing the car, or if they placed the tires with the dot facing inside this time. Either way you gave me something to look into. Thank You very much. I realized I had posted this question in the wrong section after I posted
Old 02-10-2017, 08:07 PM
jayp81
Registered Member

Well its been a while since I posted this, and have gone through a process to try and get this issue solved. I took the car to a different shop to get balanced and aligned, and that shop told me one of the front rims spun with a slight wobble. These are brand new STR rims mind you. So I went back to Discount Tire, told them this, and they were skeptical, but after spinning it infront of me they concluded that the front rim the other shop told me was crocked really was bad. So they ordered me a new one, and installed it free. This solved 90% of the vibration. Now its very subtle, but there's still some vibration after 60mph. I'm pretty annoyed already by all the time its taken to get this fixed and still have some vibration. Also it makes me wonder about the quality of STR wheels seeing as how that new one was bad, and maybe the others have a slight issue of being crooked also. Discount Tire never got me the hub rings as they had said, and on my last visit claimed they were not needed. I'm going to try installing the hub rings myself in hope that'll fix my problem. Discount Tire did not seem to want to help me anymore after swapping out that one rim for me.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:28 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Well at least you got the worst one taken care of (hopefully). Like I mentioned earlier, get the aluminum hub adapter rings, they last much longer and don't cost much more.

As far as STR quality, they are budget oriented wheel so there are some trade offs, they will be heavier and possibly a bit harder to balance than a higher priced wheel but should get the job done and improve the overall look of your G. Let us know how it goes after those rings are installed, I think you'll be happy with the reduction in vibration, they do make a difference typically.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:04 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
note to self str wheels are not good.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:08 PM
Lucasmdemele
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have

str rims on my Acura I like the way it made the car look it's just a cruiser though and yes they were crap to balance and heavy too but overall got the job done for me I was just trying to change the look on my ride...
Old 02-14-2017, 07:51 PM
jayp81
Registered Member

Well I installed some plastic hub rings since I could get them faster than a pair of metals ones, and I wanted to see if they were going to do anything for my issue asap. They seemed to help very slightly. I'll probably get some metal ones later on, but after trying these, I feel pretty sure the metal ones aren't going to fix the issue either. When they were balancing the new replacement wheel there was a section of the tire that seemed to have a slight hop/lump to it during the spin. Maybe the tire is the issue now. The guy at Discount Tire said that the tire would eventually wear in/mold to the proper shape. I'm pretty skeptical about that. I should have researched STR rims before buying them, but when I went to Discount I was there to get the stock wheels balanced and the guy there talked me into buying wheels. They had a sale going on, and when I saw the deal and look of these rims I couldnt refuse. Basically I ended up paying below $700 for the 4 wheels with lug nuts and all labor which I felt was a steal. It never crossed my mind that they would be such a problem. For now atleast the majority of the issue is gone enough that I can deal with them, although in the back of my mind its still bothering me.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:18 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Are you sure you got the right size hub rings? FWIW, I used plastic hub rings with my previous set of wheels and they would vibrate very significantly at 60+ mph. However, with my current wheels, I'm using aluminum hub rings and there is very minimal vibration at highway speeds.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:49 PM
Lucasmdemele
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
700$

Is a good deal I paid 1600$ for my wheels and tires about 2 years ago but I didn't have these problems your having either....
Old 02-14-2017, 09:49 PM
jayp81
Registered Member

I bought the hub rings sizing them off the specs I read online. I checked them on the wheels, and they fit in the wheels snug, also on the hubs they went on real snug. But now you've got me thinking I better get the metal rings asap. The deal I got was about $650 for the wheels, lugs, valve stems, labor, but did not count tires. I had previously bought the BFGoodrich Comp 2 A/S's and went back because they didnt balance it correctly on the stock wheels. By the way I dont feel too good about those BFG's either. They're a bit on the noisy side. I paid close to $1000 for those tires with the insurance, balance, and TPMS rebuild.