Wheels & Tires Reviews on wheels & tires for G vehicles.

BF Goodrich GForce Comp 2 A/S Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 04:14 PM
BigGrizzDipper

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BF Goodrich GForce Comp 2 A/S Review

Figured I'd post a review of the tire as I'm happy with them after 500 miles. Bought a set to replace the old Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2's that were on there. The hankooks cost a bit less, not much, but for the money are a good tire. Didn't even get to 30k on those though, and once I hit 20k they lost most advantages they had over an inferior tire. The pros on that were the ride quality and softness, the cons were the cornering and bounciness feel (which does make for a softer/easier ride).

Regarding the GForces, I can sum most of it up with aggressive feel, cornering, and overall stability. Beefy summer performance tire feel comes to mind. Car feels planted to the ground and tires feel firm. Feels like I have wider tires on the car than I used to if that makes any sense, and most noticeable in the turns where I'm going higher speed (car doesn't roll at ALL with these). Not as smooth on the highway but that is negligible/marginal.

At first the tires were slick on asphalt, like first drive with them pulling out of the lot, but then after a mile or so the tread broke in and they've been sticky ever since. Maybe firmer/harder rubber compound would need a bit more time to break in? Also the tire has an aggressive look which I feel is a positive.

Anyone else ride these?
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (11-04-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 03:32 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thank you for the review. I am looking at these for my next tires. Only waiting for BF Goodrich to offer one of their mail in rebates then I'll make the purchase.

Do you have the AWD G37? Are you stock or any suspension mods?

How is the stability of these tires at highway speeds? Any Tramlining at all?
Old 11-05-2016, 09:35 PM
BigGrizzDipper

AWD, stock. Bought OEM size too. Planted and overall more confidence at high speed, and haven't noticed tramlining at all actually (maybe it's the new roads around me), but I'll stay keen for any the next couple days and provide an update
Old 11-06-2016, 01:51 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
I've put 13,000 miles on these tires with my 2012 G37x Sedan with Hotckis sway bars and Swift springs. My car handles great.
BigGrizzDipper (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 10:13 AM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

The biggest complaints I read is that they are very loud and they have flat spots when cold which takes a few miles to smooth out.

Have you two experienced this?

Great to hear there is no tramling on the highway. That would turn me away from the tires right away.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:45 PM
BigGrizzDipper

I haven't had issue with flat spots, and as an update on tram lining, still haven't noticed much if any unless the road is really worn. My former Hankooks would flat spot after 2 days of not being driven, worse if sitting longer, but they were older. Maybe these will start doing it eventually, but I just had it sitting the for 2 days in 50 degree weather last weekend and while I didn't drive it on the hwy, I didn't notice anything up to 45mph. The winter will be telling though.

As far as the noise it's a bit louder overall, but with the windows up on the hwy seems like a marginal difference. Windows down going 30-40 you get a bit of tread slap, but it actually has quieted down the more miles I put on them. For comparison, a softer tire, such as the DWS, while it made my steering mushy were the quietest tires I've ever owned (Although also a HPAS tire, can't be compared - also this was on a 2014 tire design, could have been upgraded by conti since).

Overall they are an aggressive tire that I feel has a firmer tread compound than any other tire I've driven, and the noise I feel is inherent with those characteristics, so more of what you prefer/want out of your tires. These fill a niche for me I was looking for, didn't want a summer tire but didn't want a numb all season tire either.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:33 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
I've run these tires for about 7,500 miles on a wider setup (245 front/275 rear) and it's probably the best investment I've made. These tires hold incredibly well on turns, as they've saved me and the G from certain doom on multiple occasions. Road noise is relatively high and gets irritating if a pebble is stuck in one of the treads. I'm not sure how these hold on snow since I'll be switching to my winter setup soon. I highly recommend these tires if you want quality a/s tires without the premium price. Size down to an 18' wheel and this setup is very budget friendly!

Trending Topics

Old 11-08-2016, 02:40 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
These tires are definitely on the loud side, I don't mind it that much though. Haven't experienced flat spots, had my car sitting for 7 weeks and they looked just fine.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:37 PM
BigGrizzDipper

Originally Posted by kickintheglass
I've run these tires for about 7,500 miles on a wider setup (245 front/275 rear) and it's probably the best investment I've made. These tires hold incredibly well on turns, as they've saved me and the G from certain doom on multiple occasions. Road noise is relatively high and gets irritating if a pebble is stuck in one of the treads. I'm not sure how these hold on snow since I'll be switching to my winter setup soon. I highly recommend these tires if you want quality a/s tires without the premium price. Size down to an 18' wheel and this setup is very budget friendly!
My 18" for the set were right around $600 installed including tax, road hazard protection and free lifetime rotation/balancing (this included a $50 instant rebate and 5% cash back from the card I use just to get cash back).
Old 11-10-2016, 03:33 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

How is the smoothness of the tires and their ability to handle rough roads?
Old 11-10-2016, 05:37 PM
BigGrizzDipper

The tires are firmer, so you feel a bit more of the road and therefore the bumps at least in my exp. However I don't see this being a liability, more of a personal preference and a trade off depending on what you want out of the tire.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:42 AM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by mjnoles1
How is the smoothness of the tires and their ability to handle rough roads?
I'm on stock sport suspension and you can definitely feel bumps and road textures, not to mention plenty of noise feedback. Like Dipper said, comfort and road feel are tradeoffs. Personally, I enjoy getting as much information about the road as possible. Someone who consistently drives through construction areas and city landscapes may not be as appreciative.
BigGrizzDipper (11-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 09:33 AM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Any update on these with the snowy season arriving?

Last edited by mjnoles1; 12-12-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:55 PM
ObsidianG37x

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I literally just purchased a set of these for the car on Saturday morning. By Saturday night us here in Chicagoland/Northwest Indiana got hit by a mini blizzard. I previously had LS-2's and these instantly felt firmer. It could have been that my old tires were starting to wear out but I instantly noticed I was able to accelerate and brake with ease. I've put around 150 miles on them (yes i drive a lot lol) and can say these are definitely worth the money. Pushing the snow button and having these on have the car feeling like it will not get stuck anywhere. Can't really say there was that big of an increase in road noise since i had my music on all the time
Old 12-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Brochenko

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought these this year around Feb. 245/45/18s. I've put about 18K on them since purchasing. Wear is good. I get rotations a little after every oil change, so at about 6k.

They handle really well in dry weather. They sound like a summer tire in the warmer months, driving 5-10mph with the windows down they have a "sticky" sound to them that you can hear. I have experienced some tramlining, but only on one area of a specific freeway. So I blame that on the particular stretch of road (MN has bad roads!). They are on the noisy side, but I don't mind honestly. This is firmer tire and you can feel that, but I'm also riding on coilovers so that's probably a contributing factor as well.

Snow wise, MN got about 6 inches this past weekend and they handled good. They seemed really stable. I didn't have any issue driving through 6+ inches of unplowed snow. I believe I saw a M+S symbol on the sidewall, I'm not 100% sure. I'd have to check. Ice wise, I hit some on a roundabout that got me sideways but that was more of me messing around Stopping and going on icy spots wasn't an issue.. if you kept your foot out of it of course.

Overall I'm definitely enjoying them. Especially in the warmer months. 9/10 would purchase again