GTR wheels - affect on handling

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 09:15 AM
ajaffer
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GTR wheels - affect on handling

I read through this thread but didn't find any replies about the affect on handling https://www.myg37.com/forums/picture...els-win-8.html, so my question is I found a deal on GTR wheels painted gloss black and wanted to put on 2008 G37S coupe. The car is lowered with tanabe springs, so it could come out nicely.

If you were more handling and comfort of ride feel oriented would you pass on 20" wheels and stick with 19s or is the difference minimal?

What wheel size setup is preferred? 275/30 and 245/35 with 20mm spacers in the front?

I searched but didn't find clarification...
Old 08-08-2016, 10:02 AM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
Moving up a size will increase neither handling nor comfort levels so if that is your overall goal I would pass.
You'd be better off finding a wider, lighter set of 19s so you can add a little more meaty tires.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:16 AM
ajaffer
Registered Member

Originally Posted by VenomGT9
Moving up a size will increase neither handling nor comfort levels so if that is your overall goal I would pass.
You'd be better off finding a wider, lighter set of 19s so you can add a little more meaty tires.
These are my initial thoughts, but it was hard to pass on the deal since it is so good; I was hoping one of the members that did or knew of someone that did the GTR wheel setup would chime in. I actually PM'd 3 of the members with no reply.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:23 AM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
I have known a few that have made that set up work. But given the facts on the wheels, adding more weight to the corners will not increase handling capabilities. It may not be a significant difference but if you are in tune well enough with your car's personality, you will notice the change. Comfort, however, will go right out the window.
GTR wheels look really good on the G though, can't say I haven't thought about in myself. If you really want GTRs, find a set of the Black Edition wheels since they are about 13lbs lighter/set over previous years.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:28 AM
ajaffer
Registered Member

Originally Posted by VenomGT9
I have known a few that have made that set up work. But given the facts on the wheels, adding more weight to the corners will not increase handling capabilities. It may not be a significant difference but if you are in tune well enough with your car's personality, you will notice the change. Comfort, however, will go right out the window.
GTR wheels look really good on the G though, can't say I haven't thought about in myself. If you really want GTRs, find a set of the Black Edition wheels since they are about 13lbs lighter/set over previous years.
Comfort going out the window :/.....hmmm not good.

I actually did look up the Ray black edition wheels too.

You're definitely bringing me back to the 19s mindset. I always lean towards purpose vs looks. I appreciate your advice so far.