Help Quietest tire? Road noise from tires (according to dealer)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 04:04 PM
sideburns2009

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quietest tire? Road noise from tires (according to dealer)

Hey guys,

I posted previously about my brake pad choices and your answers were immensely helpful. I've got a bit of a dilemma. My G37x just hit 30,000 miles. Obviously my OEM Goodyear RSA's were toast. I had a slight roaring (like a really low bass note at about 60-70 MPH with those tires and I assumed it was from the horrid inner shoulder wear from the neg camber).

I replaced the tires with Continental PureContact with Ecoplus technology (DWS) because they had many reviews on Tirerack for being quiet tires. (Had the same tires on my 2010 Altima 2.5SL and they were indeed quiet.) I had an alignment done at the same time.

My issue:

The road noise is still there, albeit, at a slightly different speed (55-65MPH). So i took my car in to the dealer. They claimed to have used chassis ears and checked wheel hubs, diffs, transfer case, tranny, etc for bearing noise and found none. They claim the noise is from "aggressive tread pattern" and they also claimed to have swapped my tires/rims to a Q40 and the noise followed the tires. I wasn't there so I can't confirm they did this, just the honor system.

I do know rotating didn't "shift" the noise front to rear, it stayed...sort of...all around me?

Is there a decently quiet tire that you guys can recommend? Or do you think I have another issue the dealer is avoiding? I'm very obsessive and the noise is driving me crazy. In all other instances, outside of that specific speed range, the tires are quiet.

The highest rated all season tired for my car on tirerack is the Pirelli P7 Centurato but I have no experience with Pirelli tires. I am looking for an All Season, get plenty of rain here in Mississippi, and I drive somewhat aggressively but nothing too crazy.

OEM 17" rims
225/55R17

Last edited by sideburns2009; 01-17-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:02 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
How long have you had the tires, they may quiet down if they're still very new.
Might shoot a PM to Neal@Tirerack, he's THE MAN when it comes to specific tire questions/issues.

At least you have tires that will let you enjoy the performance aspect of your G much more than the RS-As
The following users liked this post:
sideburns2009 (01-18-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 05:18 PM
sideburns2009

Originally Posted by blnewt
How long have you had the tires, they may quiet down if they're still very new.
Might shoot a PM to Neal@Tirerack, he's THE MAN when it comes to specific tire questions/issues.

At least you have tires that will let you enjoy the performance aspect of your G much more than the RS-As

They've got roughly 4500 miles on them so far. The noise has stayed the same the entire time. The Continentals do handle much better than the RSAs. Those tires were horrid in all aspects.

The Conti's have great overall reviews and I had a great experience with them on my Altima. That's why I was hesitant to believe the noise continued on with another set of tires. The Altima did have taller sidewalls. Maybe that's why they were quiet[er].

PS. I tried PM'ing him. It says he's chosen not to receive private messages.

Last edited by sideburns2009; 01-17-2016 at 05:22 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 01-18-2016, 01:16 AM
bri

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
My G came with Kumho LX Platinum in 18". I probably wouldn't have bought them myself based on previous experience with Kumho summer tires being extremely noisy, but I was really surprised and how quiet and luxurious they seemed. Used for about 10k miles before switching wheels and there was hardly any amount of tread lost as well. I would use them again. You may try something in the all season "touring" tires category rather than "performance" they will likely be quieter.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:43 AM
sideburns2009

Originally Posted by bri
My G came with Kumho LX Platinum in 18". I probably wouldn't have bought them myself based on previous experience with Kumho summer tires being extremely noisy, but I was really surprised and how quiet and luxurious they seemed. Used for about 10k miles before switching wheels and there was hardly any amount of tread lost as well. I would use them again. You may try something in the all season "touring" tires category rather than "performance" they will likely be quieter.
I've had Kumho Solus tires before and they actually were pretty decent tires. Treadwear could have been better but they were comfortable. They were also on a Chrysler Town & Country, though.

Isn't the Continental PureContact a Grand Touring Tire? Man I need Neal@Tirerack!

For what it's worth, I'll even swap over to whatever the quietest suggested tire is, even if the noise remains, as Infinti won't have a valid argument to ignore the issue (if there is one after a tire swap).
Old 01-18-2016, 11:40 AM
dwb993
Premier Member

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
I love the Conti DWS on my 06TL.
Just bought the G and had the dealer install Yokohama Advans--talk about noisy! Supposedly they get better after 1000 miles or so, but I have not seen it.
I ran a set of Pirelli P-Zero on the TL and those things howled like banshees.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:44 AM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
I have owned 6 sets of Yoko YK580's and they are very quiet. this set on the G, 2 sets on an acura, 1 set on a Mazda and 2 sets on a BMW. All very quiet. They are all season and Discount tire only.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:49 PM
sideburns2009

Originally Posted by m3clubracer
I have owned 6 sets of Yoko YK580's and they are very quiet. this set on the G, 2 sets on an acura, 1 set on a Mazda and 2 sets on a BMW. All very quiet. They are all season and Discount tire only.
Just checked those tires out. Though the tread pattern does look more "aggressive" than the Contis I have. By aggressive, I mean larger, flatter blocks.

Which one looks more aggressive to you? That's specifically why the dealer claims they're making the noise.

Yoko

Conti

This stuff makes my head hurt. I don't think my Contis have an aggressive tread pattern, at all. I'm inclined to think with an AWD drivetrain, the noise is something else.

For comparison, these are the Pirelli P7's I was talking about having good "quietness" ratings.

Last edited by sideburns2009; 01-18-2016 at 01:57 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 01-18-2016, 02:47 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Those P7 look like they would be quiet. Find out if the place you get tires from will take them back if you don't like. Goodyears are the worst tires made for aftermarket. I wanted to get something else that is stickier but UTQG and noise won out. I hope that helps.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:03 PM
sideburns2009

Originally Posted by m3clubracer
Those P7 look like they would be quiet. Find out if the place you get tires from will take them back if you don't like. Goodyears are the worst tires made for aftermarket. I wanted to get something else that is stickier but UTQG and noise won out. I hope that helps.
Discount tire has them in my area. I'll have to ask if they have a guarantee. I got the Conti on Amazon and they're letting me return them for free. I can get the pirellis on there as well but I'll check around and see if the local shops have a return policy. Thanks again.

The P7's may be the way to go. I'd still like to hear from the all famous Neal! Lol
Old 01-19-2016, 10:54 AM
sideburns2009

Well guys, after talking to 2 guys at tirerack, the Pirelli P7 All Season Plus is indeed one of the quietest tires rated tires (by tirerack and consumer) for my G. My local DiscountTire has all 4 of the exact tire in stock and I'm getting them put on this afternoon. Even if they don't resolve the noise, I will, at that point, reject that the noise is even coming from the tires and let the dealer resolve it. If they refuse, Nissan Consumer Affairs will be contacted as I have no other Infiniti dealer nearby.

You guys rock as always and I will definitely keep everyone updated with noise after the tires are mounted later today. Got the awesome mobile app now so I can be a more active member.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:16 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Hopefully this will resolve or significantly help your road noise issue. Definitely update the thread when you get them on & broken in.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:48 PM
sideburns2009

Originally Posted by blnewt
Hopefully this will resolve or significantly help your road noise issue. Definitely update the thread when you get them on & broken in.
Alright. The Pirellis are on. Immediately took to the interstate and while they do seem overall smoother and quiet, the low resonating bass like noise is still there at the same speed. Most prominent at ~62MPH as before.

Anyone have any tips on how to deal with this at the dealer? They specifically said the noise was from an "aggressive tread pattern".

Even the guy at Discount Tire laughed at that as an excuse. He said the Contis are always very quiet.

The tread pattern is fairly 'fine' so I have eliminated the dealers remaining excuse.

(Seriously though, the tires give a nice smooth ride yet you can still feel the road as you should in a G. Review will come in a few thousand miles.)
Old 01-19-2016, 04:24 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
I'm glad those new tires are smooth and quiet. Maybe the dealer can get real and solve the issue because that's BS.

I was surprised to hear your original Conti's were noisy. I know they're not the same tire, but I have the ExtremeContact DWS 06's, and they've been great all around. Even the tread looks less aggressive. I'd post a pic but I'm having some issues in that dept. lately.

Sean
Old 01-19-2016, 04:50 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Could be some sort of resonance from the drive line. My old camaro would develop a cyclic hum at speeds over 60 mph. Was worse around 70. I replaced the steel drive shaft with an aluminum unit. The hum was still there but now began around 70 and was worse around 90. It was an acceptable compromise as I generally drive at 60-80 and rarely over 90.

Quick Reply: Help Quietest tire? Road noise from tires (according to dealer)