Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 10:41 AM
amitd79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires

I need to replace the tires on my 2010 G37x sports package before the winter season and have started researching tires. I am looking for high performance all season tires that will maintain the car's fun to drive experience. Living in Minnesota, I need the tires to drive well in the snow too unfortunately.

Looks like the new Continental DWS 06 fits my needs but looking for advice from experts. I read that the tire handles well in the snow. Is that true?

Are there any other tires I should be considering? I will appreciate any thoughts and suggestions. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2015, 10:54 AM
joebrez

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by amitd79
I need to replace the tires on my 2010 G37x sports package before the winter season and have started researching tires. I am looking for high performance all season tires that will maintain the car's fun to drive experience. Living in Minnesota, I need the tires to drive well in the snow too unfortunately.

Looks like the new Continental DWS 06 fits my needs but looking for advice from experts. I read that the tire handles well in the snow. Is that true?

Are there any other tires I should be considering? I will appreciate any thoughts and suggestions. Thank you!

First, I'm from Wisconsin, so my weather should be very similar to yours.

I have the Extreme Contact DWS and they are a pretty good tire. Snow was very good last year (For an All-Season). I am going with dedicated snow this year though as my commute is pretty long.

The ride more like a touring tire than a HPAS tire. Once thing I've noticed with mine is they start to get noisy in a weird way. They are very quiet on concrete, but on fresh Asphalt, they make a weird "whirring" noise, almost sounds like a wheel bearing is going out...

They ride very nicely, track straight and are good in all weather. The last thing is these seem to wear life Iron. I put them on about 25K ago and I'm still about 7/32nds all the way around.
The following users liked this post:
VIVID (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 12:18 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Joe - Are you speaking of the DWS 06 upgrade that was released this spring? They are supposed to be much improved over the previous iteration. I have a set of the new ones and I like them a lot. Note: I have NOT driven the old variety. So I don't have a frame of reference in that respect.

I know tires are an individual choice...what one person likes, another might not. However, I'm not the only one who likes them as an A/S tire:

Tire Review: Continental ExtremeContact DWS06

Sean
Old 09-21-2015, 12:51 PM
joebrez

Originally Posted by VIVID
Joe - Are you speaking of the DWS 06 upgrade that was released this spring? They are supposed to be much improved over the previous iteration. I have a set of the new ones and I like them a lot. Note: I have NOT driven the old variety. So I don't have a frame of reference in that respect.

I know tires are an individual choice...what one person likes, another might not. However, I'm not the only one who likes them as an A/S tire:

Tire Review: Continental ExtremeContact DWS06

Sean
Mine are not the 06, but I do have some buddies that have gone that route and also had the older ones like mine. Their impression is more evolutionary than revolutionary. It all depends on your expectation.

If you want a high performance tire that rides well, handles good and is decent in the snow, they are hard to beat. As a hard core HiPO A/S tire, they fall alittle short.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:02 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Originally Posted by joebrez
Mine are not the 06, but I do have some buddies that have gone that route and also had the older ones like mine. Their impression is more evolutionary than revolutionary. It all depends on your expectation.

If you want a high performance tire that rides well, handles good and is decent in the snow, they are hard to beat. As a hard core HiPO A/S tire, they fall alittle short.
Well stated. I appreciate your informed feedback

What are some of the options for a HIPO A/S that you like? My G is a family DD. I'm interested when it comes time for a new set. But as you said, these things wear like iron and I only have like 4K miles on them.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 09-21-2015, 01:02 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Keep saving up your $ and get a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires. There are some good rebates/deals now at Tire Rack.

I tried all-seasons on my xS sedan and after last winter in Chicago, forget it. I almost spun out a few times going under 35MPH into oncoming traffic.

Keeping my aftermarket wheels for summer, and just got Blizzak WS80s on my OEM 18" wheels.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:35 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Originally Posted by efuseakay
Keep saving up your $ and get a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires. There are some good rebates/deals now at Tire Rack.

I tried all-seasons on my xS sedan and after last winter in Chicago, forget it. I almost spun out a few times going under 35MPH into oncoming traffic.

Keeping my aftermarket wheels for summer, and just got Blizzak WS80s on my OEM 18" wheels.
Thanks. Keep in mind my OEMs are 17x7 and won't clear a BBK. My current replacements are 18x8 and won't clear a BBK. Set number three WILL clear a BBK

It's not really a matter of saving $$$, it's a matter of saving time. I don't want to go through the rigmarole of swapping sets and resetting TPMSs. I'd prefer a bit of compromise than spending that time doing wheel/tire gymnastics. Plus I don't live in Blizzak territory...

(Of course I say that now....but...)

Sean
Old 09-21-2015, 01:46 PM
joebrez

Originally Posted by efuseakay

Amen! Although the DWS's were MILES ahead of the Dunlops, nothing beats dedicated snow tires.

Your mention of Tire Rack is perfect. Last week, I picked up a set of Pirelli SotoZeros Series II (Picked up a set of 17" G Sedan Rims) in 225/55/17 for $72 per tire PLUS a $50 Mail in Rebate. $238 for a set!

Nothing beats Snow tires!!!
Old 09-21-2015, 01:56 PM
joebrez

Originally Posted by VIVID
Well stated. I appreciate your informed feedback

What are some of the options for a HIPO A/S that you like? My G is a family DD. I'm interested when it comes time for a new set. But as you said, these things wear like iron and I only have like 4K miles on them.

Thanks,
Sean
I would consider these more of a hard edged A/S tire.

BFGoodrich G-Form Comp2 A/S
Hankook Ventus S1 Nobel2
Pirelli P Zero A/S Plus
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
The following users liked this post:
VIVID (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 04:49 PM
amitd79

Thank you all for your inputs. I called a couple of local tire places and I am getting similar quotes from them. Will Continental offer any rebates in Oct?

One of the tire places recommended the following tires. He said that if you are not driving over 120 miles/hour you dont need a high performance tire like the DWS or Michelin Pilot Sport AS3

Michelin Defender
Continental Truecontact
Goodyear assurance comfort

Any thoughts on the above?

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2015, 05:30 PM
Z33_SPL
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you all for your inputs. I called a couple of local tire places and I am getting similar quotes from them. Will Continental offer any rebates in Oct?

One of the tire places recommended the following tires. He said that if you are not driving over 120 miles/hour you dont need a high performance tire like the DWS or Michelin Pilot Sport AS3

Michelin Defender
Continental Truecontact

Thanks!
I am going back and forth between dedicated winter tires or the new DWS 06. I'm leaning towards the DWS 06. It looks like Continental is having a fall promotion. Check this link: Fall Promotion
Old 09-21-2015, 08:56 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts

Michelin Defender
Continental Truecontact

Thanks!
I went with Tirebuyer.com and got (4) DWS06 245/40/19 shipped for under $800. They have coupon codes floating around the web that are stackable with their sales/promos, and shipping is free to any of their installers (quite an extensive network, I had over 20 shops to choose from).

I like them so far, nearly had an accident going 50-60mph (****head was parked BETWEEN the highway and off-ramp, then suddenly decides to pull into the off-ramp without looking behind him ), I swerved last second to avoid the collision, almost lost traction (fishtail) but corrected the steering wheel and on I went

Heard the "XL" load rating gives them a stiffer sidewall, so they're not as soft-walled as the DWS (or so I've read, not the greatest person in evaluating tires).
Old 09-22-2015, 03:37 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Father has the old DWS and they worked just fine in snow. The new 06 is allegedly even better. It's a good all around tire.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:55 AM
amitd79

Originally Posted by Z33_SPL
I am going back and forth between dedicated winter tires or the new DWS 06. I'm leaning towards the DWS 06. It looks like Continental is having a fall promotion. Check this link: Fall Promotion
Thank you for the heads up on the fall promotion. I will wait until October.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:46 AM
2012G37
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I replace my stock at 47k with DWS. They handled great. At 93k, my dealership recommend to change them, so I confirm with my local tire shop and ordered the new DWS 06 (installing next week)
After 46k miles in exactly 2yrs, I feel some vibrations from these tires on different road conditions, I've also notice my traction control light pop up during certain types of acceleration.

Quick Reply: Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires