Help Vibration at 65+ mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 12:12 AM
GFTW
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Vibration at 65+ mph

Hi guys,

I recently installed a new set of wheels and tires. My car started vibrating at 65+ mph every since. It's been doing so before and after alignment. I thought it was the wheel balance that was off even though the wheels came pre-balanced. So I took my car to a shop to get a road force balance. It only improved a little bit, or so I thought. The vibration is kind of bugging me. What else could be wrong?

*Please note that I installed the BBK at the same time. My alignment is kind of off too but that was the best the mechanic can do.

One more question: Can someone explain the alignment results to me and tell me if I need a camber kit? Sorry I'm still learning
Attached Thumbnails Vibration at 65+ mph-scan-3.jpeg  
Old 08-20-2015, 09:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Your right rear is the only point that's off by much. I'd get a rear camber & toe bolt kit, this consist of four bolts (2 on each side) for the OEM camber arm and a new toe bolt. you have to elongate the slots for all 4 bolts w/ a dremel tool, not hard if you don't mind getting under your car and doing a little grinding.
If your new wheels are aftermarket wheels they probably have a larger hub bore, most have bores in the 73mm range. They do this so they can sell wheels for a larger group of cars. The Infiniti bore is 66.1mm. They make hub adapter rings that make the hub of the new wheel fit tightly to your Infiniti hub.
Once you find out the new bore just order the proper adapters. Tirerack.com sells plastic ones and you can find aluminum ones on Ebay which are better if you do a lot of wheel removals.
HTHs
Brad
And here's the camber & toe bolt kit (you need 2 kits)
SPC Performance Camber/Toe Cam Bolt Kit; Pair, Reqr's 1 per Wheel INFINITI G35
And the install instructions
http://www.spcalignment.com/instruct...65-INS_WEB.pdf
The following users liked this post:
GFTW (08-20-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 09:28 PM
GFTW
Registered Member

1) Actually the vendor gave me a set of plastic hub rings when they sold me the wheels. I don't know what size though. Do you think I need a better set to resolve the vibration? If that's not the problem, what do you think could be the cause?

2) Besides uneven tread wear, what elso would happen if I keep the alignment like that?

Thank you Brad, as always!
Old 08-20-2015, 10:36 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by GFTW
1) Actually the vendor gave me a set of plastic hub rings when they sold me the wheels. I don't know what size though. Do you think I need a better set to resolve the vibration? If that's not the problem, what do you think could be the cause?

2) Besides uneven tread wear, what elso would happen if I keep the alignment like that?

Thank you Brad, as always!
Those plastic rings are pretty easy to crack and become worthless after a few removals if you aren't real careful when handling them. if they're still in good shape they should work fine as far as reducing vibration.
Indexing your tires can also help in some cases. The tires have an ink circle that is best to align w/ the blue dot on the wheels (only some wheels have this though), this reduces the amount of weights that are needed to balance.
If you can isolate the vibration to a specific wheel then try another mount/rebalance, it could also be a defective tire.

Also be sure to wire brush the hub, doesn't take much rust/corrosion to cause a slightly uneven mount.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:36 PM
GFTW
Registered Member

Vibration at 65+ mph

So I just bought and installed 4 aluminum hub centric rings to hopefully fix the vibration. Well, the vibration is still there. It drives me crazy everyday. Does anyone have any other ideas? Should I take it to another shop and get it rebalanced?
Old 09-03-2015, 06:09 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Yeah, I'd try to find a shop that has the Hunter road force machine.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:35 PM
GFTW
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Yeah, I'd try to find a shop that has the Hunter road force machine.
The shop that I went to to get a wheel balance last time used the Hunter road force machine. Was there any chance that the mechanic didn't do it right? That was the second time these wheels got balanced with the first time being done by the vendor.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:32 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

The shop that I went to to get a wheel balance last time used the Hunter road force machine. Was there any chance that the mechanic didn't do it right? That was the second time these wheels got balanced with the first time being done by the vendor.
Always a chance that you got a guy that wasn't the best or the machine was older and not maintained properly. It may be best to try another shop, might try yelp or google for reviews.
G/L
Old 10-26-2015, 09:13 PM
ssscottg

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
A bad tire has been my experience two different times. Some tires are harder to balance. If you can rotate it to the back it will lessen the feeling.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:17 PM
GFTW
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ssscottg
A bad tire has been my experience two different times. Some tires are harder to balance. If you can rotate it to the back it will lessen the feeling.
I'm running staggered setup with directional tires so there is no way I can rotate the tires. The vibration is much better now after the 2nd road force balance.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:24 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Crap between the wheel and hub
Bent wheel (don't assume it is not just because it is new)
Tire is bad
Old 10-27-2015, 03:27 PM
GFTW
Registered Member

Originally Posted by m3clubracer
Crap between the wheel and hub
Bent wheel (don't assume it is not just because it is new)
Tire is bad
What is more likely the cause for intermittent vibration?
Old 10-27-2015, 03:45 PM
krazyfiend
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Do you have the old wheels? If not, do you have access to a secondary set that you know work or worked just fine?

That would be my first step outside of what you've already done and the other suggestions (those nylon hub rings should be fine, they haven't seen a bunch of off and on's nor extreme lows in the temp-- yet). It could eliminate the wheels/tires as being the cause or pinpoint them.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:17 PM
blueis300
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm running staggered setup with directional tires so there is no way I can rotate the tires. The vibration is much better now after the 2nd road force balance.
Just side to side. One draw back I didnt think about to much when buying. I have some Avant Garde rims and General tires and tire shop has a heck of a time balancing mine for some reason.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:20 PM
GFTW
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blueis300
Just side to side. One draw back I didnt think about to much when buying. I have some Avant Garde rims and General tires and tire shop has a heck of a time balancing mine for some reason.
You can do side to side rotation with directional tires?

Quick Reply: Help Vibration at 65+ mph