Top of the line Wheels?

Old 03-23-2014, 03:08 AM
Viet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Top of the line Wheels?

Thinking about getting a set of wheels from Vossen, been watching youtube videos of them and they look really nice. I'm new and close to closing on my 2012 g37xS and looking to change out the stock wheels. Anyone have experience with wheels from Vossen? What top of the line wheel brands would you recommend?
Old 03-23-2014, 03:38 AM
*ICE*
Registered Member

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
Vossen is not top of the line, they are just regular line of wheels, not much better than the stock in term of quality. Their design is pretty unique and great looking but still heavy if you are looking for wheels in term of performance.

Lighter wheels will make your car goes faster and you can definitely feel it while driving. But lighter wheels are expensive and are what people shy away from when shopping for wheels.

Light weight wheels = top of the line wheels. Most popular brands are: Volk, Works, SSR, etc...
Old 03-23-2014, 03:51 AM
Viet

Originally Posted by *ICE*
Vossen is not top of the line, they are just regular line of wheels, not much better than the stock in term of quality. Their design is pretty unique and great looking but still heavy if you are looking for wheels in term of performance.

Lighter wheels will make your car goes faster and you can definitely feel it while driving. But lighter wheels are expensive and are what people shy away from when shopping for wheels.

Light weight wheels = top of the line wheels. Most popular brands are: Volk, Works, SSR, etc...

Been looking at Volks and they look superb. They are definitely one of my top options. Though the concave design on the Vossens are quite nice. Mainly looking for looks and build quality, while not being to heavy.

Last edited by Viet; 03-23-2014 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:15 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the Site Viet. Wheels are such a huge topic on the site and w/ so many choices and opinions this is really an area where you need to spend some time. ICE gives good advice, top of the line wheels as far as weight, quality, and construction will cost at least $1k per wheel and some quite a bit more. There's plenty of decent choices if weight isn't your major concern, Vossen has a huge following on the site w/ several factory reps that are very helpful on the site as far as fitment and new design offerings. The best thing to do is decide what's most important to you and go from there. Keep in mind 18s and 19s look better on stock Gs, if you lower the G the 20s will look at home. Also the Private classifieds can offer some high dollar rims for much less than new. Check this folder, and Rochesters wheel thread is a good browser too~
Wheels & Tires - MyG37
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ls-thread.html
Old 03-23-2014, 11:22 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
I'd check out Incurve and Rohana. Both make a great quality wheel and many eye-pleasing designs.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:35 AM
mezzo
Green Eyes!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
work branded wheels as well are nice.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
If you care about build quality and light weight, you want forged wheels. Rule out any cast wheels right off the bat. Forged wheels are inherently lighter and stronger by the way they are made. They are also far more expensive. Also be aware that there are many other names for cast wheels to try to associate them with higher quality, more expensive forged wheels. "Rotary forged" "flow formed" and other descriptions are used to describe advanced methods of cast wheel production that are much better than gravity casting but not as good as actual forged wheels.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/....jsp?techid=90
Old 03-23-2014, 04:09 PM
Viet

Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the Site Viet. Wheels are such a huge topic on the site and w/ so many choices and opinions this is really an area where you need to spend some time. ICE gives good advice, top of the line wheels as far as weight, quality, and construction will cost at least $1k per wheel and some quite a bit more. There's plenty of decent choices if weight isn't your major concern, Vossen has a huge following on the site w/ several factory reps that are very helpful on the site as far as fitment and new design offerings. The best thing to do is decide what's most important to you and go from there. Keep in mind 18s and 19s look better on stock Gs, if you lower the G the 20s will look at home. Also the Private classifieds can offer some high dollar rims for much less than new. Check this folder, and Rochesters wheel thread is a good browser too~
Wheels & Tires - MyG37
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ls-thread.html
So 19" wheels would look better on an unlowered G37? Was thinking about going with 20" until you mentioned this. Not looking to lower my car since we have harsh winters where I live.

Buying new wheels for summer and saving the stock wheels with snow tires for winter.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Viet

My budget is around $3,000 for a set give or take.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,565 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Viet
So 19" wheels would look better on an unlowered G37? Was thinking about going with 20" until you mentioned this. Not looking to lower my car since we have harsh winters where I live.

Buying new wheels for summer and saving the stock wheels with snow tires for winter.
Undropped 20's look goofy because the sidewall is so narrow. Undropped 19's maybe yes, maybe no, to where I think it depends more on the wheel design. 17's are too small, regardless of drop. And 18's seem about the right temperature porridge either way.

But however you look at it, understand that there are those who look at the relationship between the tire and fender as if it were the most important thing about their car. It's a strangely obsessive aspect of automotive appreciation, but it sure does matter to a lot of people.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-23-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:04 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

I really like the SSR line of wheels, they have something for just about every budget and most are pretty lightweight.
SSR Wheels for Sale - SSR Rims & Racing Wheels | Tread Depot
SSR Wheels
Old 03-23-2014, 06:10 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
You will not get new vossens with tires for $3K. The rims alone will run you $2400 before shipping, tires, mount, balance.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:34 PM
DeepRumble

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Some of my favorite wheels. http://www.360forged.com/infiniti
Old 03-23-2014, 08:19 PM
spinna001

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Get works or Volks trust me
Old 03-23-2014, 10:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by spinna001
Get works or Volks trust me
He'll need a new budget or a nice find in the used market.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Top of the line Wheels?