Best Replacement Tires for G37S?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Danny Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PureNick
Continental ExtremeContact DWS: TireRack. Ran me exactly $903.00 with shipping for the 245/275 setup. Tire so far is quiet and grippy. I've only had it in the dry but apparently from what everyone is saying, this all-season tire really shines in the wet. I was sick of switching my tires around so I wanted an all-season setup that proved to be equal across the board during all seasons and these were the few that fit the bill. They are a bit beefier, especially the rears. I have a small lip protector on my wheels now. They are also SLIGHTLY (about 5-7%) softer in the side wall than my Goodyear's but the difference is so small that it really isn't noticeable unless you're blazing a turn.
All in all, and to save you some time if you're considering these, I have not heard a single bad thing about this tire. From Civics to BMWs to G's, the general consensus about these tires have been the same: Amazing and worth every penny. I'll be sure to update in the Tires section once the first snow fall hits here

Hope this helps you and any others looking for tires. The more feedback on tires the better I see.

I too got sick of switching between summer and snow tires.

I love to have your feedback after three years on the DWS in terms of snow traction, quiet ride and treadwear.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:55 AM
Ronso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a 2004 G35 (base) sedan in March of 05 with Bridgestone Turanza EL 42s. The car had 20,500 miles when I bought it. The factory tires handled well in dry and wet conditions but were loud, and kept getting louder and wet traction started to suffer so that at about 28,000 miles, I changed to Falken 512s (235/50/17). Great dry and wet tire that was quieter until I changed them at about 40,000 miles (tire mileage). I had Blizzaks on in winter which is a great snow tire but you do give up some handling characteristics.
Replaced the Falkens with the same tire but the tread pattern looked more like a 912, even though it said 512 on the sidewall.
These tires started out good but ended up being junk and at 22,000 miles, I replaced them with Riken Raptors (made by Michellin). What a great tire! Hydroplaning became an abstract thought as these tires were grippy all the time. I moved to Georgia so snow became less of an issue (except for the last few days) but they were good enough with 24,000 miles on them in about 2" of snow to get to the store and back.
Anyway, traded the '04 G for a '12 G37 last weekend (16,521 miles). Oh how I wish I had the Rikens put on the new(er) G. The Goodyears it came with are not as responsive and just not confidence inspiring. In fairness, they are also 225/55/17 which may account for some of the handling issue. I may drive these through the summer but I am going back to my old Riken Raptor set-up within a year. For you guys looking for replacement tires, check them out. You won't be sorry. Hope this helps someone.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:41 AM
kenlamp

Originally Posted by zdubin
I have the vert with the 19 inch stock rims and these are the sizes I'm running. The car performs even better with these sizes and my new Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires.
Just purchased Bridgestone 760's 275/35/19 rears, is an alignment really needed as I've seen recommended? Fronts are still stock 225/40
Old 02-18-2014, 01:04 PM
deadlocked

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kenlamp
Just purchased Bridgestone 760's 275/35/19 rears, is an alignment really needed as I've seen recommended? Fronts are still stock 225/40
Are you putting wheel spacers on for the 275/35 rears? Is it needed?
Old 03-02-2014, 03:04 PM
63Corvette

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Racindaddy
Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Quiet and stick like gorilla glue. Factory tires on many supercars.
I agree.....and they are cheaper and last longer than the PS2.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:08 PM
rb26gte

Originally Posted by PureNick
I've had 4 sets of different tires on my my 08 G37S. Here is the best feedback I can provide to you IF you live in all-season climates:

Hankook Ventus Evo S1:
GREAT stopping and and handling. Very good hydroplaning resistance. Awful tread wear (about 12,500 milles @ 20% for a 240 rated tire).

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3: Available at TireRack but would suggest finding new ones via eBay for the best deal. It's where I got mine. Perfect tire for this car at a great price for a full time summer tire. Amazing handling, stiff side wall, great hydroplaning resistance, and good tread wear. Tire wore evenly too which is great! I highly suggest this if you're doing a full time summer setup.

Blizzak LM-25's: Available at TireRack. Ok for a winter tire. I wouldn't say these are great for real deep snow or constant snow driving but they get the job done. They're good for areas that get only 2-3 big snow falls a year and you need to get home. Braking is ok but lacks in handling. Very quiet for when you're in the dry.

Dunlop Winter Sport M3's: TireRack as well. Amazing winter tire. I ran this tire in the back when I had a winter setup and the car hooked up with no issues regardless of snow depth. When playing around and drifting in the snow, these tires allowed me to have complete control over the car. I really like these and the price is fantastic as well. a LITTLE louder than Blizzak's but so little you probably couldn't tell. You'd have to really be listening.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS: TireRack. Ran me exactly $903.00 with shipping for the 245/275 setup. Tire so far is quiet and grippy. I've only had it in the dry but apparently from what everyone is saying, this all-season tire really shines in the wet. I was sick of switching my tires around so I wanted an all-season setup that proved to be equal across the board during all seasons and these were the few that fit the bill. They are a bit beefier, especially the rears. I have a small lip protector on my wheels now. They are also SLIGHTLY (about 5-7%) softer in the side wall than my Goodyear's but the difference is so small that it really isn't noticeable unless you're blazing a turn.
All in all, and to save you some time if you're considering these, I have not heard a single bad thing about this tire. From Civics to BMWs to G's, the general consensus about these tires have been the same: Amazing and worth every penny. I'll be sure to update in the Tires section once the first snow fall hits here

Hope this helps you and any others looking for tires. The more feedback on tires the better I see.
Is the Cont Extreme DWS tire directional?

Thanks
Old 12-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Danny Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I agree.....and they are cheaper and last longer than the PS2.
I put on a set of Mich Pilot Sport A/S3 this Summer. They are better than the OEM Dunlop which lasted 58,000Km or 36K miles.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:57 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
The Bridgestone RE050A came stock on my S sedan. I thought they were okay. I was invoking DSC nearly every day. At 22k miles, the outer edges were just about gone, so I put on Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position last month. Good reviews and really liked the earlier S-02 PP on my Sentra SE-R. The S-04s are obviously softer and grippier than the OE tires. I've invoked DSC once in the past month. I just installed the camber arms set to -2º camber and total 5mm toe-in to cure the outer tire wear (hopefully).

I can't recommend the S-Drives as a performance tire. We started with them on our 24 Hours of LeMons Sentra. Switched to Dunlop Direzza Star Spec and gained 5 seconds per lap on a 2.35 mile road course. The S-Drives are a 2nd-tier tire.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:57 AM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by rb26gte
Is the Cont Extreme DWS tire directional?

Thanks
Nope, asymmetrical.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:04 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
For summer tires....the Michelin Pilot Super Sports mops the floor with the competition.

Insane ride quality, impeccable grip in the dry and wet, very quiet, and the tread life seals the deal.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:31 AM
rb26gte

Which tire would you expert people suggest I should use? I am in North Texas, DFW area, and we rarely get snow down here... ICY maybe a few days if lucky. I read through the thread and noticed the Continental Extreme Contact DWS tire could be the deal. My current set up is 245/275 and I have Pilot Sports A/S 3 right now. I wanted to replace with the same tires but they are all on back order ( i get my tires through Discount Tire with road hazard warranty etc). I don't want to get them from Tire Rack i can't get warranty and have my tires replaced right away when some go wrong while im driivng, flat tire, etc...

Does Tire Rack partner with anyone, Discount Tire?

Any feedback on this is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:35 AM
Bonemaro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I like the 245/275 look much better on the G. When the time comes for me, that's what I'll do.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:01 AM
Bonemaro

Any clearance issues with the larger sizes?
Old 12-11-2014, 11:09 AM
rb26gte

Originally Posted by Bonemaro
Any clearance issues with the larger sizes?
that's what most people do but any bigger in tire size will trigger the VDC error?
Old 12-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Bonemaro

VDC error? Even though the overall diameter of the tire is the same as factory?

Quick Reply: Best Replacement Tires for G37S?