'09: Tire Rotation Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 06:45 PM
nas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09: Tire Rotation Question

I am approaching 7500 miles on my 2009 G37 Sedan. It has the factory 17"s and I was wondering how much a tire rotation costs? Should I get it done at the dealership or somewhere like discount tire? Also, I should rotate my tires every 7500 miles, correct?
Old 05-16-2010, 08:32 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've read a lot of pros and cons on tire rotation.
Some of the cons are:
Anytime some body lays hands on your car there is a chance they might screw something up.
The tires on rear wheel drive cars tend to wear out a lot more evenly then front wheel drive cars, unless you tend to do a lot of burnouts.
The money you spend on tire rotations would be useful when you have to buy a new set.
My guess would be that you will be lucky to get in the low 20,000 mile range on the stock tires regardless if you rotate them or not.
Some of the pros are:
If your front tires are wearing out unevenly, it would be helpful to rotate.
You should get more miles on your tires, but is the extra miles worth the expense and time of having your tires rotated.

I have a tire thread depth gauge that I use to see how much and how even the tires are wearing. If it looks like my fronts are wearing evenly and the fronts and rears are wearing down at roughly the same amount, I wont bother to rotate. If I do rotate, I will do it myself.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:38 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just have the tire rotation done according to whatever the service guide says.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:50 PM
SindhiStyle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rotate my tires every 7500 miles and I get it done at discount tire. The reason is that when I purchased my car I took it to discount tire a couple months later and got there warranty on my stock tires. About 20 bucks a tire. This includes road hazzard and unlimited rotation and balance for the life of the tire. Not a bad deal in my opinion since you will hopefully get about 30k on your tires and the dealer charges at least 20 bucks to rotate and balance, so basically you are getting a free tire warranty on them at no cost compared to getting them rotated and balanced at the dealership.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:57 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SindhiStyle
I rotate my tires every 7500 miles and I get it done at discount tire. The reason is that when I purchased my car I took it to discount tire a couple months later and got there warranty on my stock tires. About 20 bucks a tire. This includes road hazzard and unlimited rotation and balance for the life of the tire. Not a bad deal in my opinion since you will hopefully get about 30k on your tires and the dealer charges at least 20 bucks to rotate and balance, so basically you are getting a free tire warranty on them at no cost compared to getting them rotated and balanced at the dealership.
I agree with this, except that I didn't buy the waranty on the tires. I've bought tires from Discount Tire for years and they will rotate new car tires for free if you're a past customer. I typically do buy the warranty on my next set of tires, though.

Sometimes I do it myself, in the garage. Invest in a decent floor jack. I happen to have an air compressor and came across an air wrench, so I can remove the wheel nuts easily. I can typically rotate the tires much faster myselt than making a trip to Discount Tire.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:25 AM
lokitiw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope you have a torque wrench.