brake judder - getting hassle from dealership for coverage

Old 05-16-2011, 07:01 PM
rhyno76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake judder - dealership coverage issues

I have the brake judder and steering wheel shake on my G37 coupe. I knew my back brakes were a little low, but I mentioned it at my last oil change and the service guy said all my rotors were probably shot and they could install new back-brake pads and turn all 4 rotors for close to 500$. I told him I'll just get it done somewhere else. That night I found out about the "brake judder" TSB here on the forums.

The next day, I took my copy of TSB ITB09-037b into the dealership since my G falls under the date\VIN requirements. They told me they wouldn't look at anything until I replaced the back brakes. I bought a set of rear Hawk HPS pads and had them installed\rotors machined on the back brakes at the Goodyear place I take all my cars to for brake\tire work. Replacing the back brakes (big shock) does not resolve it and the steering wheel's still shaking while I brake.

I call the dealership today and tell them that the steering wheel still shakes and they tell me they need me to bring it in again for them to inspect the work that Goodyear did and only then will they look at the front rotors under the TSB guidelines. They also said that if it turns out to not be the front rotors, they're going to charge me $128 for the brake\rotor inspection! I talked to the service manager and he's telling me that that's my only option...take it or leave it, and that someone's got to pay for his guys to do their work.

Is anyone else out there getting the run-around over this TSB? I don't have the option of going to another Infiniti dealership, as the next closest one is 3+ hours away. Any advice you guys can offer is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by rhyno76; 05-26-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:46 AM
rhyno76

Update:
I called Infiniti corporate this morning and relayed the past few days experience with the dealership to them. They said while the dealership does reserve the right to charge the diagnostic fee; given the circumstances above, they would reimburse me if the dealership charges me to look at it.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:42 PM
rhyno76

Update:
I took it in today for them to inspect. The dealership claims all rotors spec out at .001 or less runout. They put it all back together and took it out and this time they did notice the problem. They're ordering the backing plates for the front rotors but I don't know what this is going to fix since the rotors don't seem to be the issue. The dealership did not charge me the diagnostic fee, as the work from Goodyear checked out according to the tech.

Anyone else getting a brake judder without the rotors being to blame?? Should I have the dealership mill the rotors anyway?

Last edited by rhyno76; 05-21-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:36 PM
LORDHAVEMURPHY
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the brake judder, but my dealership was so awesome that they took care of it free of charge!! No hassle!! But, we do have a back door deal going on and my 60k mile service is coming up pretty soon!!
Old 05-19-2011, 12:31 AM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Rhyno I would use another dealer if possible. Sounds like they don't care for your business. Sucks...
I know it sounds strange, but I had vibration during braking on aftermarket wheels with no hub rings. Are you on stocks?
I also eventually had vibration from the rotors being warped. My dealership turned them for free, but no backing plate or pads.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:31 AM
ualdep
Registered Member

Hi, I had this problem. After rotors were turned & plates put on, along with NEW FRONT pads, the judder went away (mostly). I dont think the rear pads have anything to do with judder; the dealer is just jacking U around because U took UR business to Goodyr. Focus on the front pads being replaced!!!

09 G37S 11K
Old 05-19-2011, 03:09 PM
liscmad

Had this problem at 35K and they replaced the front rotors, pads and installed shield. It started again at 44K and they installed new rotors a second time claiming the first set were bad from factory. No problems since and my dealership has always been great.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:29 AM
parksrob

I had this issue at 37k miles, they replaced the backing plates and cut all 4 rotors and put new pads on for me
Old 05-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Frankyg37s

mine only does it when i brake hard at highspeed
Old 05-24-2011, 06:28 PM
04STi208G37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clean the Pad Groove

Although many of my 50K miles are highway, I still have about 8 K of useful life left on my pads. I did a few AutoX in F stock , too. That seems like high mileage to me for performance brakes. I removed them to check them visually and while I was in there I cleaned the junk out of the caliper and pad groove. The bit of judder I had is gone.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:00 PM
rhyno76

Update: They milled the front rotors and installed the new backing plates and problem is now solved! Thanks everyone for your responses - as I unfortunately had to print up this thread and take it into the dealership to get the same results. I'm just glad it's finally taken care of.

Cheers
Old 05-31-2011, 10:50 PM
slickrick

Originally Posted by rhyno76
Update: They milled the front rotors and installed the new backing plates and problem is now solved! Thanks everyone for your responses - as I unfortunately had to print up this thread and take it into the dealership to get the same results. I'm just glad it's finally taken care of.

Cheers
Glad this helped...I may have to do the same in the future. My car is vibrating when I touch the brakes at highway speeds.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:37 AM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had my front rotors resurfaced twice(once because the idiots thought it was the front rotors but it was the rear). I've had my rear rotors shaved once, all within 15,000 miles. No more Judder as of yet but if it comes back im pushing for full replacement of rotors and pads.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:37 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
i barely would get 10k out of my brakes w/o judder... and i won't complain because I do some driving...
Old 06-02-2011, 04:30 PM
shabbo
Registered Member

I too had this brake judder once and it started on a heavy braking instance at high speeds on a curvy road and then it was gone after I parked and restarted the car.

The glitch that I strongly believe is in the ABS actuator activating and staying on. This could be the case if you have slightly different sized tires since the speed sensing controller takes into consideration that the rear diameters are smaller than the front.

Symptoms are that there is no steering wobble/ pedal pulse that varies with speed, rather it's a higher frequency vibration felt throughout the car.

The Dealer thinks it's the brake rotors that are warped and a insists that all brake rotors need to be changed bla bla. It's been 8K miles since then and my original brakes are just fine though it may happen again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brake judder - getting hassle from dealership for coverage