TSB - Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Battery Problem Solved?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by GTLAW
Are you using your G-kit that you sale? reason I ask is because I have the kit and someone on here said it was making the issue worse. They took it off and the TSB went away.
Most definitely. I have had the battery drain problem since the car was new, long before installing any grounding wires. The problem persisted exactly the same after installing grounding wires. After having the TSB performed, I tested my car with and without the grounding wires installed. It battery problem is gone whether I have the grounding wires installed or not. I've let my car sit for almost 2 weeks with the wires installed (including the direct battery ground) and I have not personally seen any effect (negative or positive) that grounding wires have had on the TSB battery drain issue although others allege otherwise. IMO they are completely unrelated.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:16 AM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Very Good TY! I may order another kit in Dark Gray.

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Most definitely. I have had the battery drain problem since the car was new, long before installing any grounding wires. The problem persisted exactly the same after installing grounding wires. After having the TSB performed, I tested my car with and without the grounding wires installed. It battery problem is gone whether I have the grounding wires installed or not. I've let my car sit for almost 2 weeks with the wires installed (including the direct battery ground) and I have not personally seen any effect (negative or positive) that grounding wires have had on the TSB battery drain issue although others allege otherwise. IMO they are completely unrelated.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:51 PM
DJBinh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm completely new to the forum but I've been reading a good amount within the past week or so on this same problem. Here's my situation:

My car seems to not want to start only in cold weather. I've gotten it checked several times when it wouldn't start and I had to jump it. I got the TSB work done on the car (new VCV, battery, and reprogrammed ECU) but I'm still having issues. I even called the dealer today to verify that all that work was completed on my car. The dealer told me it's because of my driving habit. I drive the car only 4-5 miles a day since I live really close to work, so the dealer suggested that I take longer drives so the alternator would recharge the battery. I've been going out of my way to get home, driving 10-15 minutes longer every day. There are still moments, though, when my car struggles to start. Just yesterday, the car sluggishly started and the markers on my tachometer and speedometer took a few seconds to "register". It basically sat at 0 and became normal after 2 seconds.

My car has always been garaged and babied. I have no mods whatsoever on the car. I'm so frustrated with this problem. I'm driving it longer than I need to, which means I'm wasting gas just to avoid having a dead battery.

Please tell me someone else is having this problem! I've thought about calling Infiniti Corporate to see if they would reimburse me if I were to buy a Yellow Top or Red Top. I honestly have no idea what else could be wrong. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:00 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
^^I'd check the battery voltage next time this happens. I can't remember the specs off hand, but something along the lines of 12.6V with the car off, and no less than 10V when cranking comes to mind (would have to check service manual to confirm). If it's lower than that, then indeed it could be a battery issue.

If your level of driving is insufficient to recharge the battery fully, then a small 2A or 5A charger might be needed while the car is parked over night.

I've used this on my old camaro battery to keep it up while car sat for a while. A carry over from my bike - Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0128 Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger: Automotive
Old 01-17-2014, 06:32 PM
riba89

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi ALL,

I have a 2010 G37x and live in Chicago. I didn't drive the car for about 10 days and had to jump the car yesterday(took it for a battery check at AutoZone and they said it was at 60% or so) and had to jump the car today again. Does this TSB apply to me, is this for just 08 cars and/or is there another one for my car?

Thanks!!
Old 07-19-2014, 02:02 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I had this problem since I bought it new in '07. I had the TSB performed and a new battery (the larger one from the M) installed and it fixed it right up. I've let it sit for up to 17 days and it started right up perfectly like it's supposed to. Before the repair it wouldn't start if left idle for only 3 or 4 days.

If you haven't had the TSB performed, do it. If you have and are still having the issue, take it back in. Just putting a new or larger battery in it will NOT permanently fix your problem, it'll just hide it for a little while.
I'm going to dig up an topic near and dear to those of us who own an 08 G; namely short battery life. When I purchased my vehicle the dealer performed the TSB as required and notated it on the first maintenance ticket. All was fine and good until early June when I came out to start my car after six days idle and found the battery dead. Figuring that Infiniti batteries are crap, I thought little of it as the car was successfully jump started and the car behaved normally after that time. Jump forward to last Friday when I parked the car in the garage until Tuesday morning when I went out and was greeted with another dead battery. Verified the alternator was putting out voltage, verified the specific gravity of the battery water and put the battery on the charger for six hours; no joy, battery voltage never got above 10.3V The next day I installed a DiHard Gold group 24 battery with no issues but just for grins and giggles I checked the current draw from the car. With the vehicle off and the stereo system unhooked the draw was a whopping 600mA. Granted I cut my eye teeth on carburetors and points but over half an amp draw from an idle car seems suspicious. Does anyone have experience measuring the current draw on their car? Given it was a little over two years before the POS infiniti battery died its not urgent but Id like to know if I still have an issue. While tinkering with the battery, I did confirm the newer style vent valve and the larger size battery so I'm relatively confident the TSB was performed as stated
Old 12-09-2014, 06:36 PM
Jason Yancey

All,

I purchased my '08 G37S (stock/auto) Oct 2011. I didn't know anything about this TSB then, and was stranded a couple of times w/ a dead battery.

As such, I went to Battery Mart, had it tested and they told me the OG stock battery was fine. At that time, I went ahead and replaced it w/ a stock equivalent, because it had always cranked hard (I was driving it infrequently, and typically less than 10mi @ a time up to this point).

2012-2013 I was driving it daily, but not a lot of mileage maybe 10-15mi/day.

2014, it sits most of the time w/ very short trips again.

Fast forward to now (Nov-Dec '14), I have jumped it a couple of time since it got cold again, and charged it (it was hard cranking this past summer also). Nowadays, I don't drive it daily and when I do it isn't driven very many miles. So, find this topic and I believe this is exactly what I need.

That said, I'm out of warranty, so does anyone know what the cost would be w/ the valve replacement and ECU flash from Infinity?

Can a Nissan, or other dealer do this?

Finally, I'm going to believe this battery will actually test out good again, so I think I'm actually just going to go get a bigger battery first local and try it out. What am I looking 700CCA?

Thanks.[/U]

Last edited by Jason Yancey; 12-10-2014 at 12:44 PM. Reason: more information
Old 02-22-2015, 05:32 PM
deskandchairs

CCA of replacement battery

Yes, the battery that Infiniti upgrades to with the tech bulletin service is 700 cca
I Just discovered this site while trying to find out more about the battery problems that I have been having with my 2009 G37, which had the TB 'fix' applied in 2013. Now I'm getting the 'I don't drive it enough' response from the local dealer in the area I moved to, along with 'it is a high compression engine that draws a lot of power to start'
A lot of us bought this car for general purpose use. This electrical system is ill designed for the market they are trying to sell into. Wish I had known this; buyer beware
Old 02-23-2015, 06:33 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Regarding not driving enough. My car gets driven 0-1x a week most weeks. We've had some really nasty cold spells in recent weeks. Keeping it in the garage does help, albeit I don't keep it on a battery tender. I run 5w30 synthetic oil which really helps in the cold temps. The weekly trips are usually 5-10 miles in length and involve some duration on the interstate.

Knock on wood, the car has started each and every time. Maybe I shouldn't be posting this
Old 02-26-2015, 01:55 PM
mrdstockton

Currently at the stealership....they refuse to replace anything under warranty because this is a "battery issue" and only a "recommended" part change. Yet, they confirm that the VCV is causing the dead battery. Is the VCV replacement considered a warranty part? My car is an 09' w' 60k miles if needed for reference. THIS IS BS!!!
Old 02-26-2015, 02:50 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdstockton
Currently at the stealership....they refuse to replace anything under warranty because this is a "battery issue" and only a "recommended" part change. Yet, they confirm that the VCV is causing the dead battery. Is the VCV replacement considered a warranty part? My car is an 09' w' 60k miles if needed for reference. THIS IS BS!!!
If you are out of warranty (you are) they aren't required to fix it for free. Had yo taken it in before your warranty expired they'd fix it for free. It sucks. Maybe if yo ask nicely they'll help you out, but probably not unless you regularly spend tons of money at that particular dealership on service.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:20 PM
johnnyn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an 08 coupe and see that this TSB applies to the 08 coupe as well. Are there any other requirements I should check before taking my car in for this TSB?

Also is there a way to check what TSB's have been performed on my vehicle?
Old 03-24-2016, 02:33 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyn
I have an 08 coupe and see that this TSB applies to the 08 coupe as well. Are there any other requirements I should check before taking my car in for this TSB?

Also is there a way to check what TSB's have been performed on my vehicle?
Unless you have an extended warranty, it was my experience that the dealership will not do it on good will.

SonicVQ helped me out here and I hope you can make use of it as well
https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...tb10-010b.html
Old 09-29-2016, 07:14 AM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
I have a 2011 sedan, the TSB shows it doesn't cover my model. I am having this issue for sure even after replacing my battery. I have an appointment at the dealer this Saturday, any tips?
Old 10-02-2016, 11:12 AM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Just an update, they diagnosed my car and found that I had the latest updated vent control valve, all ecm and tcm updates were already installed. I had them run a multimeter on the car and only 200ma-ish is draining which is about normal they said. They think it could be my remote starter. I also have a blackvue dash cam with power magic pro hooked up but the cam isn't even plugged in at all, I removed the power magic pro just to see if that makes any difference.

Quick Reply: Battery Problem Solved?