The M - Spot General discussion for the M35/M45

Trunk Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 05:24 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Trunk Light

All,

I had a LED with a built in heat sync in the trunk of my M, I notice it was out so I pulled the cover and noticed the lamp (aka bulb) had started to come apart. No biggie so I stuck a new one in and nothing, flipped it around and still nothing. Looked at all the fuse blocks and saw nothing for the trunk lamp. So I got my volt meter and I'm not getting 12volts to the socket.

Does anyone know if there is an inline fuse for the trunk? Thought I would ask before I pull out the trunk headliner to expose the wiring.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:26 AM
Debonair

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
All,

I had a LED with a built in heat sync in the trunk of my M, I notice it was out so I pulled the cover and noticed the lamp (aka bulb) had started to come apart. No biggie so I stuck a new one in and nothing, flipped it around and still nothing. Looked at all the fuse blocks and saw nothing for the trunk lamp. So I got my volt meter and I'm not getting 12volts to the socket.

Does anyone know if there is an inline fuse for the trunk? Thought I would ask before I pull out the trunk headliner to expose the wiring.
No in-line fuse.

These cars are very light on fuses. Most if not all the interior lights, including the "trunk room light" are wired directly to the BCM. Be sure to disconnect your negative battery when servicing the bulbs. It sounds overkill but there are already confirmed cases of BCM damage from simple bulb changes where the socket was unintentionally shorted.

Hopefully, you find a disconnected wire or something else simple.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:06 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Debonair
No in-line fuse.

These cars are very light on fuses. Most if not all the interior lights, including the "trunk room light" are wired directly to the BCM. Be sure to disconnect your negative battery when servicing the bulbs. It sounds overkill but there are already confirmed cases of BCM damage from simple bulb changes where the socket was unintentionally shorted.

Hopefully, you find a disconnected wire or something else simple.
Thanks, right now I have put a regular incandescent bulbs back in there. I have the elite extended warranty so I may just take it to the dealer but it's just a hassle. Hopefully there is no damage as this is the only thing not working on the car. Despite it being a 2012 it only has 26k miles on it.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:30 AM
Debonair

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Thanks, right now I have put a regular incandescent bulbs back in there. I have the elite extended warranty so I may just take it to the dealer but it's just a hassle.
Yup, swap in all regular bulbs and then take it in for warranty factory repair. That is what others have done.