The M - Spot General discussion for the M35/M45

Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:11 AM
gatchek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Fluid

I just picked up my 2011 M37x and as part of any new car that I buy, I change all the fluids, so I know I'm starting from quality. Buying a used car, you hardly ever get the service records. I have about 60K miles on the car, and I'm looking to get the tranny fluid changed out.

Yes... I've heard that its "life-time" fluid... but that is a marketing term, not an engineering term. Nissan didn't invent magical transmission fluid that doesn't break down through heat and time. So... as with any car, I'm going to change mine around 60K. From what I could find on the web, there doesn't seem to be much information about changing it... PLUS the thing take 57 quarts or some ungodly amount like that. Not the typical 2-3 quarts that you see on most cars. So, I was thinking about having the dealer do it. While I try everything in my powers to do all the work myself on my vehicles, I'm not sure this is something I want to "try" to do myself.

So... has anyone has this done at the dealership, and how much did it run? I'm fully expecting about $400-500 just due to the amount of fluid being replaced.

While I'm on the topic, any replace the fluid in their transfer case or front differential? I'd like to do that myself too, but again... haven't seen much info that makes me confident enough to do it myself.

I'm going to put the car on the lift when I do the rear diff fluid next week and do some "exploratory" research. I'll take pictures for anyone that is interested.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:09 AM
cecrops

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
All the fluids at 60k sounds like a great idea, especially your new car.

Gear oil is really easy all you have to do is make sure the car is level when you start draining but since you'll have the lift that wont matter. Just drain and refill..

I'm about to do my transmission flush as well. I was quoted 190 at nissan and 260 at infiniti for the same flush. Looks like I am going to nissan on this one.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:13 AM
gatchek

Originally Posted by cecrops
All the fluids at 60k sounds like a great idea, especially your new car.

Gear oil is really easy all you have to do is make sure the car is level when you start draining but since you'll have the lift that wont matter. Just drain and refill..

I'm about to do my transmission flush as well. I was quoted 190 at nissan and 260 at infiniti for the same flush. Looks like I am going to nissan on this one.

Hahahaha, the good old luxury tax... Yeah... I'll be looking at Nissan to do mine then too.

The differential is always easy. I'm going to use Redline 70w90. I've used it in all my differentials (BMW, Corvette). Great stuff!
Old 04-23-2014, 01:57 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
I had mine done about 3 weeks ago at the dealer, along with some other services. It was $219 and used 15 quarts of Nissan Matic-S + 1 quart of a cleaner/conditioner that they use (not sure on the specifics on that). I was at 85k miles. I would DEFINITELY have ONLY a Nissan/Infiniti dealer do this. They connect a machine to the transmission oil cooler lines and evacuate the old fluid and replace with fresh Matic-S. I've had no issues. I am definitely with you on the opinion that it's not a lifetime fluid, especially in the punishing Texas summer heat.

I've done my rear diff with Amsoil 75w90. As far as the transfer case, I don't know on that part as I'm RWD.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:14 PM
gatchek

Originally Posted by twin_snails
I had mine done about 3 weeks ago at the dealer, along with some other services. It was $219 and used 15 quarts of Nissan Matic-S + 1 quart of a cleaner/conditioner that they use (not sure on the specifics on that). I was at 85k miles. I would DEFINITELY have ONLY a Nissan/Infiniti dealer do this. They connect a machine to the transmission oil cooler lines and evacuate the old fluid and replace with fresh Matic-S. I've had no issues. I am definitely with you on the opinion that it's not a lifetime fluid, especially in the punishing Texas summer heat.

I've done my rear diff with Amsoil 75w90. As far as the transfer case, I don't know on that part as I'm RWD.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. did you notice any difference after the fluid change? Smoother shifts or anything like that? For 15 quarts... I'll pay $219 all day long... I don't even know if you can get 15 Quarts of milk for that price!
Old 04-23-2014, 02:20 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by gatchek
Awesome! Thanks for the info. did you notice any difference after the fluid change? Smoother shifts or anything like that? For 15 quarts... I'll pay $219 all day long... I don't even know if you can get 15 Quarts of milk for that price!
15 quarts of milk is less than 4 gallons. You can buy 4 gallons of milk for less than 20 dollars...
Old 04-23-2014, 02:23 PM
gatchek

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
15 quarts of milk is less than 4 gallons. You can buy 4 gallons of milk for less than 20 dollars...
Boy do I feel like a boob. Hahahaha. I was thinking gallons. That's what I get for doing math in public. Now... in my defense.. amazon is selling the quarts at $18 each... after consulting my accountant... he tells me that's in excess of $270 after shipping. I think this is the first service that actually makes economical sense to have the deal do.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Let me google that for you
Old 04-23-2014, 02:28 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Let me google that for you

Old 04-24-2014, 10:14 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

LOL @ Black Betty and GoFight!

Sorry I didn't catch the reply on this earlier. No problem! After the trans flush, it's been fine. I can't really notice any difference. Shifts are smoother but I also had them apply the latest TCM firmware so I would attribute the smoothness to that. Important part is that the fluid is new and the seals and everything are conditioned.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:25 PM
cecrops

Boy do I feel like a boob. Hahahaha. I was thinking gallons. That's what I get for doing math in public. Now... in my defense.. amazon is selling the quarts at $18 each... after consulting my accountant... he tells me that's in excess of $270 after shipping. I think this is the first service that actually makes economical sense to have the deal do.
I've also read that about a quart of oil stays in the torque converter if you try to DIY, unless you happen to have that machine twin_snails mentioned. No point in changing all that fluid and then mix in the old crap into it. Almost as if they designed it that way..

This and oil changes are the only things I've been to the dealership for. sans the car washes of course.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:55 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

^^^
That is true. The machine that the dealer has ensures that all of the old fluid is evacuated and replaced with fresh fluid.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:55 PM
gatchek

Originally Posted by cecrops
I've also read that about a quart of oil stays in the torque converter if you try to DIY, unless you happen to have that machine twin_snails mentioned. No point in changing all that fluid and then mix in the old crap into it. Almost as if they designed it that way..

This and oil changes are the only things I've been to the dealership for. sans the car washes of course.
Yeah, I completely understand the importance of having the right tools. Out of curiosity, why do you take it to the dealer for an oil change? That's usually one of the easiest things to do on a car.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:17 AM
cecrops

Yes I've been changing the oil regularly at infiniti since I bought it for a few reasons. First of all, I want nissan ester oil. (I'm not saying it's the best or better, most want synthetic. Come to your own conclusions. Here is a good read: http://www.sfplayers.com/blog/dlcPap...ernational.pdf) I also like to have a service record/relationship with the dealership. Another thing is I get the oil changed from between $20-$50 out the door. Price out 5 quarts of nissan ester, filter and crush washer it's more than that. I get free multi point inspections and tire rotations (and pastries and coffee lol) So yeah, I just get my oil changed there.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (04-26-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 03:51 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Justin,

Re: Your PM earlier.. I looked on my parts breakdown list from the dealer on my transmission flush and it did not specify the version of the firmware that they applied, but my service advisor said it was the latest.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid