The M - Spot General discussion for the M35/M45

Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 03:57 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by cecrops
Yes I've been changing the oil regularly at infiniti since I bought it for a few reasons. First of all, I want nissan ester oil. (I'm not saying it's the best or better, most want synthetic. Come to your own conclusions. Here is a good read: http://www.sfplayers.com/blog/dlcPap...ernational.pdf) I also like to have a service record/relationship with the dealership. Another thing is I get the oil changed from between $20-$50 out the door. Price out 5 quarts of nissan ester, filter and crush washer it's more than that. I get free multi point inspections and tire rotations (and pastries and coffee lol) So yeah, I just get my oil changed there.
Free pastries and coffee FTW! Those are always a nice perk. I've had the oil done at the dealer the last 3-4 times simply because I've gotten either too busy or lazy and just don't want to mess with doing it myself. I bring my Amsoil filter and oil in and it's only 20 bucks in labor.

Great paper that you posted on the Diamond-like coating and ester oil.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:45 AM
gatchek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
Justin,

Re: Your PM earlier.. I looked on my parts breakdown list from the dealer on my transmission flush and it did not specify the version of the firmware that they applied, but my service advisor said it was the latest.
Ok, thanks. I think I found it another post on here. I'm sure they will know what I'm talking about. Thanks again!
Old 04-26-2014, 09:47 AM
gatchek

Originally Posted by cecrops
Yes I've been changing the oil regularly at infiniti since I bought it for a few reasons. First of all, I want nissan ester oil. (I'm not saying it's the best or better, most want synthetic. Come to your own conclusions. Here is a good read: http://www.sfplayers.com/blog/dlcPap...ernational.pdf) I also like to have a service record/relationship with the dealership. Another thing is I get the oil changed from between $20-$50 out the door. Price out 5 quarts of nissan ester, filter and crush washer it's more than that. I get free multi point inspections and tire rotations (and pastries and coffee lol) So yeah, I just get my oil changed there.

That's good to know! yeah, for $50, thats not bad at all. I was paying $65 to do it myself on my 2006 BMW. Not bad at all. Plus the pastries are always a plus.

And thanks for the link to the paper. Very interesting stuff.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:02 PM
gatchek

Just got the car back from the dealer. $400 for the Tranny, transfer case, front diff, and oil change. I can't say that the car runs any smoother, but I can guarantee that it will continue to run smooth for another 60K miles. It'll help me sleep at night knowing that it has all new fluids.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:28 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by gatchek
Just got the car back from the dealer. $400 for the Tranny, transfer case, front diff, and oil change. I can't say that the car runs any smoother, but I can guarantee that it will continue to run smooth for another 60K miles. It'll help me sleep at night knowing that it has all new fluids.
Too bad you didn't DIY the oil and diff
Old 05-10-2014, 08:37 PM
gatchek

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Too bad you didn't DIY the oil and diff
So.... for the front diff, they offered a price that was cheaper/very close to the price it would cost me to do it myself. Same with the engine oil. They charged me $48 for the engine oil change, and I just ordered Euro Castrol and a Mann filter and it came to $50.

If anyone can show me where to get the front diff fluid cheaper than the dealer, I'll do it myself next time. Since there wasn't a lot of feedback on whether or not to venture away from the manual specified fluids... I didn't want to chance it.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:33 AM
tech37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are their any infiniti technicians on the forum?

If so, I have a question regarding the transmission being serviced. I recently had the 60k service done on both my 2011 M37 and 2011 QX56 and the dealer changed the transmission fluid on both. My SA advised me that he would change the fluid again at 90 since I plan on keeping them both at least until 150k. I didn't notice any difference after the service but for my next service I was thinking about having the transmission filter changed. One SA said that the transmission doesn't have a filter and the other said it's part of the valve body that sits in the pan.

Are either of these true? I know a lot of the transmissions now have the filter so deep in the transmission that it can only be replaced during a rebuild. After seeing how dark and thick these lifetime fluids are after about 50k (my GS350 fluid looks the same way) I can't see how the filters, if they have one, isn't getting clogged.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:22 AM
gatchek

Originally Posted by tech37
Are their any infiniti technicians on the forum?

If so, I have a question regarding the transmission being serviced. I recently had the 60k service done on both my 2011 M37 and 2011 QX56 and the dealer changed the transmission fluid on both. My SA advised me that he would change the fluid again at 90 since I plan on keeping them both at least until 150k. I didn't notice any difference after the service but for my next service I was thinking about having the transmission filter changed. One SA said that the transmission doesn't have a filter and the other said it's part of the valve body that sits in the pan.

Are either of these true? I know a lot of the transmissions now have the filter so deep in the transmission that it can only be replaced during a rebuild. After seeing how dark and thick these lifetime fluids are after about 50k (my GS350 fluid looks the same way) I can't see how the filters, if they have one, isn't getting clogged.

I wouldn't judge your fluid's "effectiveness" on color. there has been a lot of search done that shows that fluid color has very little to do with its effectiveness to lubricate and cool. Most automotive fluids and oil turn dark colors after VERY little time, but continue to remain effective.

I would love to know about the filter as well. I seriously doubt that it would be easily changed, since they market the fluid as "lifetime." If they didn't want you to change the fluid, I highly doubt they would have made it easy to change the filter. You never know though. even if you can't change the filter, regular fluid changes (every 50-60K) would be more than enough to keep the tranny running at top performance. I just wonder why the SA said to do it 30K after the 60K. I would imagine that you would keep a regular interval... unless the tranny begins to degrade over time and more frequent fluid changes are requires. I would imagine that 90K would be pretty early if you just did it at 60K.... but the bottom line is that it won't hurt it... it'll just hurt your wallet... but if you have the money... awesome. do it!!
Old 10-09-2014, 09:24 PM
tech37

I wouldn't judge your fluid's "effectiveness" on color. there has been a lot of search done that shows that fluid color has very little to do with its effectiveness to lubricate and cool. Most automotive fluids and oil turn dark colors after VERY little time, but continue to remain effective.

I would love to know about the filter as well. I seriously doubt that it would be easily changed, since they market the fluid as "lifetime." If they didn't want you to change the fluid, I highly doubt they would have made it easy to change the filter. You never know though. even if you can't change the filter, regular fluid changes (every 50-60K) would be more than enough to keep the tranny running at top performance. I just wonder why the SA said to do it 30K after the 60K. I would imagine that you would keep a regular interval... unless the tranny begins to degrade over time and more frequent fluid changes are requires. I would imagine that 90K would be pretty early if you just did it at 60K.... but the bottom line is that it won't hurt it... it'll just hurt your wallet... but if you have the money... awesome. do it!!
So apparently this transmission does have a filter screen which appears to be attached to the bottom of the TCM/Valve body. I'm going to ask the master tech when I go in for my next oil change about it and if it is serviceable. I looked on the sewell infiniti part website for the part but it seems like it only available as part of the entire valve body assembly. If its just a metal screen then maybe it can just be cleaned.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.transdetail.ru/ru_rukovodstva-instrukczii-manualyi-po-remontu-akpp/JR710E.pdf&sa=U&ei=WDM3VPYmxMbxAeCWgKgB&ved=0CCAQF jAIOBQ&sig2=prjMmse-AAOMW46fRVRutw&usg=AFQjCNEHZ38YAJ2fYtJhG6cdUR_WJVm 95A

The reason he recommended shortening the intervals is because the fluid exchange gets a good amount of the fluid out but not all. At $160 a change it not too bad for a little piece of mind....lol
Old 10-09-2014, 09:40 PM
gatchek

Originally Posted by tech37
The reason he recommended shortening the intervals is because the fluid exchange gets a good amount of the fluid out but not all. At $160 a change it not too bad for a little piece of mind....lol
$160?! I get charged $400. Heck, at $160 I would do it that often too.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:24 PM
tech37

$160?! I get charged $400. Heck, at $160 I would do it that often too.
I might be off by a few but I know it was under $200...but i'll remember to post info on the filter issue once I talk to the master tech.