The M - Spot General discussion for the M35/M45

M37 7speed transmission reprogram...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 10:14 PM
tech37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hedgehog25
Oh okay, so that's normal then... good! LOL

However, the light scraping sound I've heard emanating from around the front wheels when driving at low speeds apparently is NOT the wind (as I previously thought). I noticed it when I was driving very slowly down my driveway earlier today and also when I was driving very slowly through a parking lot. It sounds like a very light scrape coming from the front driver's side wheel area that is almost unnoticeable if you're not listening for it. I know that the G37/M37 is known for brake issues, so I'm hoping that's what this is. I'm not actually hearing/noticing anything when actually braking, though. I'm wondering if it could be a slightly stuck caliper... ?
Could be the brakes...id get an inspection very soon...
Old 11-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Hedgehog25

Originally Posted by tech37
Could be the brakes...id get an inspection very soon...
Yeah, I'll be taking it in either tomorrow or Monday. Besides that noise (which is hopefully just the brakes), I've also noticed since first driving the car that when I let the steering wheel go, it seems to want to pull gently to the left. I'm hoping than an alignment and minor brake work are all I need to have done.

Just to be sure... will it void the warranty if I take it to a local mechanic for the alignment/brake work? The closest Infiniti dealership is almost 100 miles away.

That's the only thing that sucks about owning this car -- to even have just minor things such as transmission software updates performed, I'll have to drive 1.5 hours every time. :-/
Old 11-06-2014, 10:39 PM
tech37

Yeah, I'll be taking it in either tomorrow or Monday. Besides that noise (which is hopefully just the brakes), I've also noticed since first driving the car that when I let the steering wheel go, it seems to want to pull gently to the left. I'm hoping than an alignment and minor brake work are all I need to have done.

Just to be sure... will it void the warranty if I take it to a local mechanic for the alignment/brake work? The closest Infiniti dealership is almost 100 miles away.

That's the only thing that sucks about owning this car -- to even have just minor things such as transmission software updates performed, I'll have to drive 1.5 hours every time. :-/
It won't void your warranty but if it's still under the 4yr/60k new car warranty then you can get whatever work that's needed done for free...and never under estimate the importance of building a good relationship with the dealer...never know when you might need a lil goodwill favor...
Old 11-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Hedgehog25

It won't void your warranty but if it's still under the 4yr/60k new car warranty then you can get whatever work that's needed done for free...and never under estimate the importance of building a good relationship with the dealer...never know when you might need a lil goodwill favor...
Wait, so even the brakes would be covered under the 4 yr/60k warranty? I thought those were considered to be routine maintenance and therefore not covered?
Old 11-07-2014, 08:16 AM
tech37

Wait, so even the brakes would be covered under the 4 yr/60k warranty? I thought those were considered to be routine maintenance and therefore not covered?
Well....it really depends on your dealer...they changed mine and turned the rotors at 40k because I had a little squeal and pulsing of the brake pedal. But if what you are describing is a grinding noise then they have to at least inspect it for free. Here is what my dealer told me about the brakes and warranty. If they aren't worn pass 50% and you have an issue then they should be replaced for free because they aren't worn and beyond their useful life. I have an awesome relationship with my dealer.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:44 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Not sure if I'll get today or not (work from home) but I know I'll be out in the car tomorrow. I will test it then. Just to be sure I understand, you feel what appears to be three shifts, do you notice anything on the Tach?
Did a test today, under mild acceleration, it did shift three times by the time I reached 25mph, all at about 2K RPM's.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:55 PM
Hedgehog25

Well....it really depends on your dealer...they changed mine and turned the rotors at 40k because I had a little squeal and pulsing of the brake pedal. But if what you are describing is a grinding noise then they have to at least inspect it for free. Here is what my dealer told me about the brakes and warranty. If they aren't worn pass 50% and you have an issue then they should be replaced for free because they aren't worn and beyond their useful life. I have an awesome relationship with my dealer.
Sounds like you're in an enviable position with your dealer! I wish we had one here. What about going to a local Nissan dealership to have the brakes/suspension inspected? Would they charge me for that, or would the warranty cover me taking the car to a Nissan dealership?

Did a test today, under mild acceleration, it did shift three times by the time I reached 25mph, all at about 2K RPM's.
Great to hear, thanks for testing that out! Mine seems to be doing exactly the same thing, and when it does make the third shift, I notice that the RPMs briefly shoot up to about 2.5 and then down again a split second later.

So it looks like my only legitimate "issues" could be: 1.) Needing an alignment; and 2.) Needing brake work.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:18 PM
tech37

Sounds like you're in an enviable position with your dealer! I wish we had one here. What about going to a local Nissan dealership to have the brakes/suspension inspected? Would they charge me for that, or would the warranty cover me taking the car to a Nissan dealership?

Great to hear, thanks for testing that out! Mine seems to be doing exactly the same thing, and when it does make the third shift, I notice that the RPMs briefly shoot up to about 2.5 and then down again a split second later.

So it looks like my only legitimate "issues" could be: 1.) Needing an alignment; and 2.) Needing brake work.
Call them and see before you go...they might be able to but some dealership don't want to do anything to the luxury lines except maybe an oil change.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:47 AM
Hedgehog25

Have you ever noticed whether that third shift (at slow acceleration) occurs roughly or abruptly? It's been shifting pretty smoothly over the last few days, but today, it seemed to hit that third shift with more of a jolt. Maybe it was the cold??
Old 11-09-2014, 10:55 AM
tech37

Have you ever noticed whether that third shift (at slow acceleration) occurs roughly or abruptly? It's been shifting pretty smoothly over the last few days, but today, it seemed to hit that third shift with more of a jolt. Maybe it was the cold??
I have noticed in general that these transmissions shift poorly when they are cold....rough harsh shifts under low acceleration...both of mine do...and was told it was normal for both of them
Old 11-09-2014, 02:42 PM
Hedgehog25

I have noticed in general that these transmissions shift poorly when they are cold....rough harsh shifts under low acceleration...both of mine do...and was told it was normal for both of them
As long as it's normal, then I'm not worried about it! I'm used to driving cars for 8-10 years before moving on to the next vehicle, so I just want to do whatever I need to do to ensure that the major components (engine, transmission especially) last that long.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:23 PM
Hedgehog25

Noticed something else kind of funny today. When I drove the car for the first time today, I felt the transmission go through its usual shift through gears 1, 2, and 3, but then something I haven't noticed before happened: it felt like the car shifted again into 3rd gear a split second after initially shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. The whole experience felt like this as I started driving and it began shifting: thump.... thump.... thump-thump (I.e., third gear twice).

However, as I continued driving, it never did that again, even when I would accelerate from a complete stop. I then parked for a couple hours, and when I got back into the car and drove off, it did the same thing with the perceived "double-shift" in third gear. But again, as I continued to drive, it didn't do it again.

Does anyone know what this is caused by? I'm hoping it's another example of "normal for Infiniti?" LOL
Old 11-10-2014, 12:55 AM
tech37

Noticed something else kind of funny today. When I drove the car for the first time today, I felt the transmission go through its usual shift through gears 1, 2, and 3, but then something I haven't noticed before happened: it felt like the car shifted again into 3rd gear a split second after initially shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. The whole experience felt like this as I started driving and it began shifting: thump.... thump.... thump-thump (I.e., third gear twice).

However, as I continued driving, it never did that again, even when I would accelerate from a complete stop. I then parked for a couple hours, and when I got back into the car and drove off, it did the same thing with the perceived "double-shift" in third gear. But again, as I continued to drive, it didn't do it again.

Does anyone know what this is caused by? I'm hoping it's another example of "normal for Infiniti?" LOL
It's normal...the logic on the transmission is crazy...both of mine do crazy things...QX feels like it floats gears...ive complained about it so much that they have several for me to test drive new and used...all shifted funny...
Old 11-10-2014, 01:25 AM
Hedgehog25

It's normal...the logic on the transmission is crazy...both of mine do crazy things...QX feels like it floats gears...ive complained about it so much that they have several for me to test drive new and used...all shifted funny...
LOL, that's crazy. Does anyone know what the long-term mechanical effect on the transmission is from all of this freaky shifting? Should I plan on paying big $$$ for a transmission replacement in a few years?
Old 11-10-2014, 09:30 AM
tech37

LOL, that's crazy. Does anyone know what the long-term mechanical effect on the transmission is from all of this freaky shifting? Should I plan on paying big $$$ for a transmission replacement in a few years?
From what the master tech has told me I should have anything to worry about unless you dog the transmission constantly. This is the same transmission that's been in the G since 2009...I think...

Quick Reply: M37 7speed transmission reprogram...