Go Back   MyG37 > The Lounge OT > The Lounge (Off Topic)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to myG37 forums!
Welcome to myG37 Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join myG37 Forums today!

submit to reddit

Old 02-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
Arvig

Trader Score: (0)
110 Octane gas. Waste of time to use? Or even worse would cause damage?

Hello,

I took a drive for a couple hours today, and found a station near the State Line Speedway selling 110 Octane. The pump also had 87 Octane regular. (In fact, they only had the two grades, no Premium or 89, it was a little mom and pop place, the store attached to the station is a beer and wine store).

So, my questions are this. Would putting 110 Octaine in a stock G37x Coupe be...

1) Something nice to do once in a while as a "treat" for the car so to speak.

2) Not hurt it, but be a waste of money since anything over the local 92 or 93 local Octane is good enough, and gains had at 110 Octane are nil or minimal.

3) Actually cause damage somehow and unless you're running an actual race car at the local track you're an idiot to put it in the tank.

As an aside, no I didn't put it in. I just pulled into the parking lot, looked at the pumps briefly, got out of the way since the place was somewhat busy and drove on. I didn't even go into the store to talk to a clerk.

Anyway, thanks in advance for replies, and if this belongs in another section then of course please feel free to move the post.
Arvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Trader Score: (1)
You wont notice any differences at all unless you adjust your a/f ratio and tune for the increased octane.

Engines are much more efficient now adays and deposits are not nearly as much of an issue.

So 110 really is just a big waste of money.
WhosUrBuddiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
juicybusa

Unless it's unleaded race gas it will ruin your cats. If it's unleaded 110 it won't hurt your car but you won't realize any advantage with an internally stock engine.
juicybusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
JohnEnglish

Yup, like everyone else said unless you're running an engine with super high compression or you're using a turbocharger or supercharger you're not going to see any difference; it'll be a waste of money.
JohnEnglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
Arvig

Thanks for the replies, guess I'll skip the place then. It's not too far out of the way, but not worth the trip if it won't do much for me.
Arvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:00 AM   #6
G37Sam
Administrator

Get your piston head replaced to have your compression ratio increased along with a tune to advance your ignition timing even further with the 110 Octane fuel

Other than that you'd be wasting your money

Before you post:
- Check out this lovely feature!
- Read our Guidelines
- Read the forum rules
- Learn how to post
G37Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
pdarby

Trader Score: (1)
When I was in the Navy, I worked in the aviation fuels division. We used to service prop a/c with 115/145 avgas. Going through school we were taught that 100 oct was the most you could have, any number above that is a performance rating for the fuel. Hench the development of 100ll for modern a/c. I tried burning the 115/145 in my car, it ran great. Just burned the valves a little and a whole tank was gone in less then 250 miles. JMO
Old 02-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
Adam West

Trader Score: (3)
You won't see any real gain unless you're running a fully built high compression motor or something with a ton of boost getting forced into it. Remember the higher the octane number, the more detonation resistance the fuel has. It doesn't have any more power and actually the higher octane fuels tend to produce less BTU output than a lower octane fuel.

The manufacturer always recommends the right octane fuel that will give you the most power while avoiding detonation. 87 octane fuel actually has more BTU output than 93, which makes it more likely to detonate sooner. My wife's 1.8L Civic calls for 87 octane because it was tuned for it, putting in a higher grade of fuel than what is called for is basically waste unless you can take advantage of it or having pinging issues. The car may or may not produce any less/more power.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam West View Post
You won't see any real gain unless you're running a fully built high compression motor or something with a ton of boost getting forced into it. Remember the higher the octane number, the more detonation resistance the fuel has. It doesn't have any more power and actually the higher octane fuels tend to produce less BTU output than a lower octane fuel.

The manufacturer always recommends the right octane fuel that will give you the most power while avoiding detonation. 87 octane fuel actually has more BTU output than 93, which makes it more likely to detonate sooner. My wife's 1.8L Civic calls for 87 octane because it was tuned for it, putting in a higher grade of fuel than what is called for is basically waste unless you can take advantage of it or having pinging issues. The car may or may not produce any less/more power.
As much as this subject seems to come up, your post sums it up quite well.

I would suggest to the OP that even though itís a bit more trouble, use both pumps to fill up. For example, if you need 18 gallons just put in 3 gallons of the 110, and 15 of the 87. By my math, that should be the equivalent of around 91 for the full 18 gallons.

Then go over a few bumps so the two octanes mix well. (jk)
Old 02-28-2010, 05:09 PM
MyG37
Infiniti G37

Paid Advertisement

submit to reddit