Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Any California Smog Techs On here?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 10:05 AM
steven92

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Any California Smog Techs On here?

I have searched this topic many times, but I am stubborn and need a straight answer.

I am moving from New York to California this spring. That being said, I need to pass a smog check to obtain California registration. I currently have R2C intakes installed that are NOT CARB legal. That being said, will these fail a visual inspection (NO CEL, good install, connections etc); or will I have to install my stock intakes before smog check? Do smog techs generally fail people with aftermarket intakes if they cannot spot the EO #?
Old 12-19-2016, 02:20 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Technically yes, but some shops are less **** than others so. If anything, maybe bring your stock boxes with you in case they demand stock setup. Only take like 15min to swap.
The following users liked this post:
steven92 (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 02:33 PM
steven92

Do you suggest any shops in SoCal that are more lenient towards aftermarket parts? I don't want to have to remove my R2C intakes unless really needed. The vacuum lines are snug and a pain in the butt to reconnect lol
Old 12-21-2016, 07:58 PM
steven92

I came up with an intuitive idea....hope it works out.

I purchased an EO (executive order) sticker for an air intake system produced by X manufacture that makes compliant aftermarket intakes for the VQ37DE. I am going to put the sticker in my engine bay, along with manufacture X's decades on my intake tubes. Thus my R2C intake tubes are now "compliant". No way to tell the difference as there is no physical picture of the intakes on the EO resource page.

Last edited by steven92; 12-21-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:31 PM
Juelz86g37s2012

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by steven92
I have searched this topic many times, but I am stubborn and need a straight answer.

I am moving from New York to California this spring. That being said, I need to pass a smog check to obtain California registration. I currently have R2C intakes installed that are NOT CARB legal. That being said, will these fail a visual inspection (NO CEL, good install, connections etc); or will I have to install my stock intakes before smog check? Do smog techs generally fail people with aftermarket intakes if they cannot spot the EO #?
yes with our laws in the nyc we cant just vome to cali and register . well im from nyc and live in cali and i drove cross state 2wice .in the g. but to answer your questions the smog tech here in California some are lient others are not. we have smog check and start smog check. what they only look for is the catalytic converters to be in place and no oil coming from tail pipe. most importantly your not polluting. its guys out here that run striaght pipes and pass smog all the time they have ways but if ur a striagt arrow u can keep ur stock componets and swap back what u need to pass smog. stock cats or hi flow cats . intske wise stocknis alwya great but the only intake i know that gets the carb apporval for cali is jwt . stillen is based out of the the o.c i think costa mesa and their intake isnt smog/carb approved for cali. overall its who u take it to and what they check for every spot is different.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:25 PM
steven92

thanks; I was able to disguise my intakes as a smog compliant manufacturer's. I will let you know if this works. If plan A fails, plan B is to install the stock intakes
Old 12-26-2016, 09:35 PM
hurleyguys

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Juelz86g37s2012
stillen is based out of the the o.c i think costa mesa and their intake isnt smog/carb approved for cali.
umm i think the stillen intake is carb legal, according to stillen's website it is carb exempt. i have a carb sticker for my takeda intake also.

Trending Topics

Old 12-26-2016, 09:37 PM
steven92

Originally Posted by hurleyguys
umm i think the stillen intake is carb legal, according to stillen's website it is carb exempt. i have a carb sticker for my takeda intake also.
This is correct. KN, JWT, Takeda, Injen, and Stillen are Carb exempt.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:55 AM
Juelz86g37s2012

This is correct. KN, JWT, Takeda, Injen, and Stillen are Carb exempt.
thanks for that i didnt know the other two was carb exempt . yaaay. .
Old 12-27-2016, 10:56 AM
Juelz86g37s2012

thanks; I was able to disguise my intakes as a smog compliant manufacturer's. I will let you know if this works. If plan A fails, plan B is to install the stock intakes
yeah that would be great and another heads-up is to make sure you done have a cel. thats an automatic failure.
good luck and post back.👍😊
Old 12-27-2016, 11:28 AM
steven92

Nope, no CEL with my intakes. This wont happen until April, when I settle in Cali.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:37 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I am curious if anyone has gone with high flow cats and or headers and been able to pass smog? I might not do any of that, but it is a thought. I am def thinking of a cat back, intake and possibly a tune. I would like to get up to 370 hp at the block, if I got faster shifting and better mileage, that would be nice.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:47 PM
steven92

Originally Posted by ezbme
I am curious if anyone has gone with high flow cats and or headers and been able to pass smog? I might not do any of that, but it is a thought. I am def thinking of a cat back, intake and possibly a tune. I would like to get up to 370 hp at the block, if I got faster shifting and better mileage, that would be nice.
I've looked this up all over Google. If the parts are E.O, ARB compliant and do not give off a check engine light you will be ok. CATS and Headers I believe are illegal.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/afterm...es/amquery.php
Old 01-09-2017, 02:02 AM
hurleyguys

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by ezbme
cats are not legal. i had high flow cats on my old g35, they looked stock so they passed the visual inspection, but once on the sniffer it was no where close to passing.
but do they even do the sniffer test any more? i think i heard they only connect to the OBDII now. i might be wrong.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:03 AM
steven92

Originally Posted by hurleyguys
cats are not legal. i had high flow cats on my old g35, they looked stock so they passed the visual inspection, but once on the sniffer it was no where close to passing.
but do they even do the sniffer test any more? i think i heard they only connect to the OBDII now. i might be wrong.
I'm pretty sure its just OBD connections now

What Happens During A Smog Check? - The Car Connection