Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Any California Smog Techs On here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 03:19 PM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Current CA Smog is OBD2 unless your car is old enough to have OBD1 or earlier, so as long as there is no CEL code present you will pass[this includes codes that are made to be ignored by a tune]. I personally recommend the Smog Test Center at Pacific Speed in Pomona off of Towne Ave and 3rd street. They do work on everything from custom drift cars to exotics. Talk to Eder Plascencia and tell him Justin [Frank Turcios' friend] sent you, and he'll get you squared away with the intakes installed.
The following 2 users liked this post by C1Forged:
Bravo at (01-10-2017), steven92 (01-09-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 03:11 PM
steven92

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Do you know how scrutinized the visual inspection is? If an EO number is in plain site and there are no CEL's, will intakes generally pass a visual inspection?
Old 01-10-2017, 06:14 PM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by steven92
Do you know how scrutinized the visual inspection is? If an EO number is in plain site and there are no CEL's, will intakes generally pass a visual inspection?
There is no visual inspection for Smog in CA. Only time you get an inspection is when you get a state ref.

And if by some reason they changed the procedure in the last year and an inspection has been implemented, Eder will still take care of you.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:02 PM
Juelz86g37s2012

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
key componets that the smog station looks for
1.cel light
2.Emission from tail pipe 02sensor /carbon dioxide
3.efficiency of the catalytic converters
4. intake compliant with state law (california) carb approved modz. intake some headers tp.ect.

​​

2&3 was really in the same boat because if any modification is done to the cataylist aka catalytic convertesr its an automatic fail.

when i took my 350z to a spot back in the day they told me that i failed because of what was mentioned above.But unlike any mod freak such as myself i found away to still pass smog.(you can figure this out) with the mods i had at that time .
full exhaust intake tomei v2 headers strup testpipes jwt pop charger intake ur pulley kit z1 intake and upgraded clutch only reflash thats was it as far as tuning .
so to pass out here (california) on the safe note i ll recommend .

hi flo cats and if u do headers get some hi flo cats/tp if not keep your cats for spare they are very helpful.
hi flo and tp are a mod i say to each its own . some want sound over performance however hi flo are a big plus for smog purposes . my 2 cent
hope this helps a bit