Site Feedback & Suggestions For posting feedback and suggestions regarding MyG37.com

OP-only Threads

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 04:54 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Lightbulb OP-only Threads

I was looking through Build Threads this afternoon, and wondered how interesting it would be to have an Original Poster-only version, where the only the OP can add to the Thread, and no one else; (except for self-policing Moderators, natch.) For cars that spans years of ownership, imagine a hit-list of mods, pics and videos one after another, without all the discussion clutter. Not that discussion is bad, just thought it would be a really interesting perspective.

Is it possible to configure a sub-forum where the only people who can post to a thread is the person who created it? It would have to be moderated for focus as a Build hit list, but that seems reasonable. What would you call such a thing... a Build Diary?

Hey Brad... "blnewt Build Diary"

Just an idea. And if you think about it, as an OP on some topic it's difficult to maintain a level of interest without feedback. Not sure the "thanks" feature is enough feedback.

Anyway, it's on the table for discussion. Pick it up, step on it, kick it, whatever.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 12:35 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
I find that to be a grand idea. I appreciate when people update their first post frequently with new mods and pictures, along with an update post to bump the thread. This really helps to keep an up to date summary of what the car has been through without searching through 5, 10, or 50 pages of content. This is at least a good interim work around.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 08:20 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Interesting idea, and agree w/ you guys that it makes for a much easier timeline when everything is in front rather than having to sort through pages.

I also agree w/ John that threads would probably whither on the vine without the comments being available.

Possibly start new build threads and have the OP take out three or four reply boxes so there's room to have everything in front, now & down the road.

I'll see if it's possible to add additional room in the front of existing threads so current build threads could be "tidied up".

What do you think of that idea??
Old 10-25-2014, 08:36 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
I'll see if it's possible to add additional room in the front of existing threads so current build threads could be "tidied up".

What do you think of that idea??
That's a creative solution. If it's do-able (a moderator creating a mid-stream entry owned and editable by the OP), you might find yourself getting repeated requests for additional slack from people who have Build Threads. That might get old real quick for you, Brad.

If you want someone's thread to practice on, I could help. There's almost 600 comments in my build thread, but I bet there's only 10 or 20 that qualify as Diary entries.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:47 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 256 Likes on 228 Posts
Innovative and rational request Rochester. It would be lovely to be able to enjoy the transformation of each individual car from start to finish without cutting thru the conversation. I realize I'm one of the guilty parties. +1 vote for trying an experiment with one of the build threads going over to a diary version.