Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

2008 G37S Coupe Rough Idle Plus Cel

Old 02-23-2017, 09:59 AM
MrNiki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 G37S Coupe Rough Idle Plus Cel

Hello everyone.

I'm hoping this won't be costly but I'm sure people here would know more about this as I know G37 ' s in general have common problems. Every now and then I'll be waiting for my girl friend to finish work and I get there early. So I would leave the car on and listen to music and do all that fun stuff for 30 minutes or so and some times longer. When idling the car some times starts shaking and I have to rev the engine a bit or start driving a little for it to go away. Now I just assumed that it was me being dumb just leaving the car in idle for so long, but today the " Service Engine Light popped up on my dash board and I Quickly turned the car off. Hoping it would disappear I started the car and little do I know it after driving from one parking lot to another to buy cigarettes from the convenience store and starting the car it starts to rough idle with the light still on. Now I'm going on a stretch here and am going to say they might be related and now it's just getting worse, what ever the problem is atleast. I'm hoping someone has some insight or has had a similar problem? Was it a cheap fix or did your engine just blow up on you and cost you an arm and a leg to fix ? Thanks in advance! . Also I tried reading other posts related to this but none really help me.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:35 AM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Did you scan the code and see what came up? From what I've heard, the SES light is not as severe as the CEL light. See what the code says and go from there. May just need to reset the ECU or clean throttle bodies.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:42 AM
MrNiki

Originally Posted by the93owner
Did you scan the code and see what came up? From what I've heard, the SES light is not as severe as the CEL light. See what the code says and go from there. May just need to reset the ECU or clean throttle bodies.
I haven't checked the codes yet, I tried self diagnosing it with the whole setting plus volume thing but nothing really popped up. Is there a different light for the Check Engine Light and Service Engine Soon light ? Didn't know that .
Old 02-23-2017, 10:44 AM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by MrNiki
I haven't checked the codes yet, I tried self diagnosing it with the whole setting plus volume thing but nothing really popped up. Is there a different light for the Check Engine Light and Service Engine Soon light ? Didn't know that .
Yes, there are 2 warning lights on the dash. CEL is more of an immediate concern, while SES just means you should get it checked out "soon". Still should see what code you're getting.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:20 AM
MrNiki

Originally Posted by the93owner
Yes, there are 2 warning lights on the dash. CEL is more of an immediate concern, while SES just means you should get it checked out "soon". Still should see what code you're getting.
Thanks man, that definitely made me feel better! I'm going to get the code checked out tomorrow and I'll update you on it !
Old 02-23-2017, 11:37 AM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
Yep, get the code read for free at an auto parts store - that should give you an idea of where to go next.

Do you have any engine related mods - intake or exhaust? If you have a vacuum leak in the intake (post maf) you could potentially get a similar symptom.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:06 PM
MrNiki

Originally Posted by kiseliok
Yep, get the code read for free at an auto parts store - that should give you an idea of where to go next.

Do you have any engine related mods - intake or exhaust? If you have a vacuum leak in the intake (post maf) you could potentially get a similar symptom.
Yyaa my car is completely stock so I don't think it's that, but let's see hopefully it's nothing major .
Old 02-23-2017, 01:37 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
I'd check under the hood and make sure one of the clamps close to the throttle bodies didn't pop off for some reason too. It's a quick check, but you'll eliminate that potential issue.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:14 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I don't know if my story will help you unless you post the codes cause it could be a million different things. Similar to your situation I was sitting in the car (I was blasting the heat and was on the phone for about an hour at the time) back in January when it was real cold out.

The main issue was the age of the car and the extreme climate i'm in which after almost ten years has rotted many of the hoses on the car.

Your car being about as old I suspect this may be relevant.

In my case, sitting in the car blasting the heat in the extreme cold caused a dried out heater hose to unseat and leak coolant on an O2 sensor causing idling issues. I didn't know this at the time so I bought a new O2 sensor based on the code alone but when I went to change it I saw the coolant all over the sensor and just cleaned it. It has been fine since (I'll probably change it anyways later just to be safe but so far no issues).

At the same time I saw the hose.

I would say on your 08 it may be due for some replacement of rubber components including hoses as I have found a bunch of other hoses on this car that have begun to rot due to age and the extreme temperatures I live in and the issues such as vacuum leaks suggested by others may be symptoms of this.

Obviously YMMV, but maybe this may help point you in the right direction.

You can test for vacuum leaks on specific hoses by using a paint brush dipped in soapy water and brushing over suspected leak sites. If you see bubbles coming out you have a leak (this is the same method for checking for a leak in a tire).

Last edited by Baadnewsburr; 03-02-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: grammer/readability

Search this Thread