Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Z car garage, My tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 01:06 AM
Jukeboxhero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile Z car garage, My tune

Hey y'all. Its been pretty quiet here in the NorCal section (I'm not helping the issue either since I am back in school).

Anyway, I recently took my G37 in for tuning. Results where not too bad, but I def. lost some HP due to my ghetto x-pipe work around.

Power/Drivetrain mods:

Z1 ported plenum
Z1 poly trans mount
Stillen GIII Intakes
Stillen UD Pulley
Stillen Grounding Kit
Berk HFC (1st Gen)
FI Exhaust (1st Gen, Magnaflow X-pipe was removed due to speedbump damage the system is now a very noisy true dual)

Oh, and a TransGo Kit

Gotta say, the transgo is freakin awesome. The paddleshift feature actually shifts on demand, instead of going out for coffee when you manually initiate. It chirps the tires on WOT from 2nd to 3rd.

Big shout out to Rob at ZCG. He was very helpful, and you can tell the dude is passionate and very knowledgeable about what he does. If you guys are interested, let me know, and I'll post prices from the invoice.

Also, the Dyno:
Attached Thumbnails Z car garage, My tune-rich-g37-uprev.jpg  
Old 10-02-2014, 03:54 AM
Booneathun
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, you got it done at Z car garage in San Jose, when my car is finished I'll probably take it there to get it tuned. Yeah, I was about to get the fast intention exhausted but I didn't because I heard it was really loud right now somebody posted they had the exhaust took it off and got the invidia exhsust. So that's what, I put on my G37s. I like it not to loud really deep should, without the raspy, popping sound. So I'm happy. I'd, prefer my stock tip. They eat it still look is okay but I preferred just brushed aluminum. Pretty good exhaust for the prices too.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:11 AM
ViperG37s

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats! Good numbers. How much do they charge for tuning? Did you buy your own handheld kit or their dyno tuning? Did it help your mpg? Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Bravo at (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 09:41 AM
Bravo at
Premier Member

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ViperG37s
Congrats! Good numbers. How much do they charge for tuning? Did you buy your own handheld kit or their dyno tuning? Did it help your mpg? Thanks.
+1 for those same answers. I also wanted to know how much time you think Rob needs to do a good quality tune. I plan on doing my 60K maintenance, install my M370 then get down there. Enjoy the ride.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:10 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Nice numbers man , Nice to have the 5spd EH, No transgo for the 7 spd :/
Old 10-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Jukeboxhero

Sup dudes. Let me try to address all these points!

Booneathun: FI *can* be loud, lol. It depends on what you run. With stock cats and a fully resonated X-pipe, the FI is pretty mild in the dB department. The setup I was running was a non-voluntary fix cause a speedbump actually tore open the outer resonator canister on the old gen1 magnaflow setup. I was on HFCs and straight pipes. To the point that Rob was like "Yo dude, the car pulls nice, but you should quiet it down". I have since reinstalled a new, non-res x-pipe from FI, and am running HFCs. The result is interesting. Its mild at lower RPM's, but it gets pretty aggressive with the appropriate throttle input. Also, they sell double resonated HFCs (daaaamn) so, noise is chill.

I've also heard great things about invidia, so it'll be nice to see numbers when you get the tune done!

tl;dr: FI is as loud as you want it to be
Old 10-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Jukeboxhero

Viper, Bravo:

Here's the breakdown, per invoice:

Price:

UPRev License: $300
Tuning: $300
Dyno: $50

Not cheap, but you get what you pay for!

Also, I did not buy the handheld tuner. I bought a tune "license" for the vehicle, and Rob used his hardware. Rob also said re-tunes are cheaper, though I forgot what he quoted me. I don't want to mis-quote him on here, heh. The license is good for the life of the vehicle, I believe.

MPG: Slight improvement. My car was running stupid rich before the tune. All those bolt-ons were basically just holding what should have been stock numbers. Pretty embarrassing

Time: Man, Rob was really busy when I first called. I had to book a month in advance, so I would make contact ASAP. The actual tune doesn't take very long at all, but if you aren't in the immediate area, he tries to work with you so you don't get slammed by commute hour traffic. It only takes a few hours, but I dropped off the car in the morning and picked it up in the afternoon... next day? I had him do my TransGo though, which is what took the most time!

I was going to get the transgo done in hayward, but the greasy troll that crawled out from the depths of the garage didn't exactly inspire confidence. He had to waddle over to his workstation just to inform me that he'd have to call someone else. On top of that, he didn't return calls, and just generally looked like a sack of hot garbage. So, I decided to pay a little more and take it to Rob.

AMVQ: Thanks man! dem 7spd mpgs doe

Last edited by Jukeboxhero; 10-02-2014 at 12:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bravo at (10-03-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 04:40 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
$650 is better than what I was quoted at this shop up the street! That $4!t was like a grand! $300 for the license, 300 for custom maps and dyno+tune @ 150/hour! They said it would need at least 2 hours. WTF? I am gonna check the race track and see what their pricing is for it
Old 10-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Jukeboxhero

Originally Posted by evil-G-nius
$650 is better than what I was quoted at this shop up the street! That $4!t was like a grand! $300 for the license, 300 for custom maps and dyno+tune @ 150/hour! They said it would need at least 2 hours. WTF? I am gonna check the race track and see what their pricing is for it
Holy ***** dude. Do they bolt on a free turbo with that tune?
Old 10-03-2014, 12:24 AM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
I wish man....like I said I am gonna check the race track. They apparently have all the **** there as well
Old 10-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Bravo at
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Jukeboxhero
Viper, Bravo.......
Great info...I'll plan one month out too for a day of tuning and maybe the transgo (not sure I want the churping on my daily driver) and the overnighter in San Jose. Thanks again JBH. I'll share my number when I get them.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Jukeboxhero

No problem. Also, re: transgo, you have to be aggressive with it. Driving mildly, there isn't a dramatic difference. However, in DS with traction control off, it'll put a smile on your face.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Bravo at
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Jukeboxhero
Hey y'all. Its been pretty quiet here in the NorCal section (I'm not helping the issue either since I am back in school).

Anyway, I recently took my G37 in for tuning. Results where not too bad, but I def. lost some HP due to my ghetto x-pipe work around.

Power/Drivetrain mods:

Z1 ported plenum
Z1 poly trans mount
Stillen GIII Intakes
Stillen UD Pulley
Stillen Grounding Kit
Berk HFC (1st Gen)
FI Exhaust (1st Gen, Magnaflow X-pipe was removed due to speedbump damage the system is now a very noisy true dual)

Oh, and a TransGo Kit

Gotta say, the transgo is freakin awesome. The paddleshift feature actually shifts on demand, instead of going out for coffee when you manually initiate. It chirps the tires on WOT from 2nd to 3rd.

Big shout out to Rob at ZCG. He was very helpful, and you can tell the dude is passionate and very knowledgeable about what he does. If you guys are interested, let me know, and I'll post prices from the invoice.

Also, the Dyno:
What have you considered doing for when it becomes time to smog check your vehicle? Will your ride pass?
Old 10-26-2014, 11:19 PM
Jukeboxhero

Hey Bravo,

Just Smog'd her. Passed with no issues.

Armando at El Camino Mufflers in Santa Clara swapped my HFCs to OEM and back to HFCs for less than $200-- a steal for all that labor. He even took the vehicle to the Smog place for me (same complex). I just picked it up at the end of the day. Though, that is the "hook up" price, heh. I used to know one of his buddies. Anyway, visual is a royal PITA nowadays. Apparently, you have to have the CARB sticker somewhere in your engine bay for the Stillen Gen IIIs. I did not, and had to drive home from santa clara to hayward to get it (and back), which sucked.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:27 PM
logan_franchise
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bringing this thread from dead ahaha...heres my thread with my numbers with dyno tune from Rob at Z car

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...e-09-g37s.html

I just installed some Kinetix HFCs this past week so going to get a retune from rob soon. I do have a question jukebox...I'm up for smog this year and you mention that you had problems with your stillen gen 3 intakes. Is the CARB sticker not on the tubes when you first got them? Cuz i wonder if they are even on my tubes, i had Rob install them. Lastly, did you show the smog shop the E.O. for the intakes? thanks again and nice numbers!